Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 11:51 AM

4,050 posts, read 6,138,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Be gay, I could care less. But you aren't married, however loud you yell. Just because someone loudly insists that red and yellow make green doesn't make it true. They can say it all they want, but it's still orange.
Your analogy doesn't work. If the people have been granted a marriage license, then it's a marriage as far as our government is concerned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 11:57 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,408,173 times
Civil union would seem to address a majority of these issues; but God knows, it's not enough, right? We are being forced to legitimize something that isn't legitimate (in some people's opinion) regardless of our feelings on the matter.

The bit about the hospital could be changed I guess to allow you to visit your fella if he's in the hospital; I"m assuming that's in critical care where only immediate family are allowed. But that's hospital policy, I'd imagine, not law.

Inheritance issues, you're not married. Any more than a boyfriend and girlfriend are. He could always have a will that names you, it seems.

You share a house and bills but get no credit. Credit for what? One of you owns the house so one can deduct the interest on the mortgage. If you're referring to a credit card, why aren't you able to establish credit without being married? You you a stay-at-home boyfriend? No job? No credit history?

Black people, women, and gays have rights, nobody is denying gays rights. There is no "right" to marry a person of the same sex. Any more than there is a "right" to marry one's dachshund or one's barbecue grill. If I marry my living room sofa, what is the meaning of that? A marriage is a man and a woman.

"...you would also have to deny marriage for jews, american natives, Buddhists and atheists to name a few..."
Really, those religions acknowledge marriage between two men, or two women, as a legitimate marriage?

And I won't even get into what I believe is the fate of a child who is adopted or borne into a gay relationship.

Once again, BE GAY, get your civil union, please feel free. Just don't involve me, don't shove it in my face, and don't expect me to acknowledge two men (or two women) having a wedding ceremony a legitimate marriage.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildings_and_bridges View Post
Your analogy doesn't work. If the people have been granted a marriage license, then it's a marriage as far as our government is concerned.
True but it'd be like an unqualified electrician getting his license; it shouldn't have happened to begin with, in my opinion. I believe it's a mistake.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:00 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,108 times
Typically homosexuality in nature is quite clear. It affects something like 0.25% of the population of any species. Of course, I don't believe that because in order for it to be true you would need a 'gay gene' (which is impossible).

There is nothing wrong with 'being gay' or 'gay marriage', if two people do love each other, then they should be together. People pretending to be gay should not.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:06 PM

408 posts, read 695,968 times
Quote:

And I won't even get into what I believe is the fate of a child who is adopted or borne into a gay relationship.

Once again, BE GAY, get your civil union, please feel free. Just don't involve me, don't shove it in my face, and don't expect me to acknowledge two men (or two women) having a wedding ceremony a legitimate marriage.
You won't get into it because you know nothing about it.

And no one is shoving it in your face. I find this funny when people come on these forums and post this. You choose to come into this forum, no one forced you to come here you did that all on your own. Gays are not asking you for permission, nor do they care what you think. Education would serve you greatly on this topic.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:08 PM

4,050 posts, read 6,138,402 times
Quote:
Civil union would seem to address a majority of these issues; but God knows, it's not enough, right? We are being forced to legitimize something that isn't legitimate (in some people's opinion) regardless of our feelings on the matter.
In short, yes. I don't run around saying that I'm offended by the idea of heterosexual marriage and because I say so, it should not be granted legitimacy. Why don't I do that? First of all, because I don't feel that way, and secondly, because it doesn't really matter what I feel is moral or immoral.

Quote:
Black people, women, and gays have rights, nobody is denying gays rights. There is no "right" to marry a person of the same sex. Any more than there is a "right" to marry one's dachshund or one's barbecue grill. If I marry my living room sofa, what is the meaning of that? A marriage is a man and a woman.
You just compared people to dogs and machinery.

Quote:
"...you would also have to deny marriage for jews, american natives, Buddhists and atheists to name a few..."
Really, those religions acknowledge marriage between two men, or two women, as a legitimate marriage?
Atheism isn't a religion. But yes--some churches honor same-sex marriages. Churches are at liberty to do that.

Quote:
You involved yourself by posting in this thread.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:10 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,561,646 times
Quote:
Yep, you bet your being forced to legimitize something regardless of your feelings on the matter. How do you think blacks & women got rights?? By people calling for change, that's how!

Black people, women, and gays have rights, nobody is denying gays rights. There is no "right" to marry a person of the same sex. Any more than there is a "right" to marry one's dachshund or one's barbecue grill. If I marry my living room sofa, what is the meaning of that? A marriage is a man and a woman..[/quote] I love LOVE LOVE how everyone against gay marriage consistently comes back to this age-old argument...about marrying an animal or an inanimate object. Please be a little more thoughtful & original ok? It's quite humorous & also pathetic to resort to that sort of illogic.

And I won't even get into what I believe is the fate of a child who is adopted or borne into a gay relationship..[/quote] I'm assuming people's disgusting hatred & intolerance towards gay people has a little something to do w/how a child would perceive gay parents. Let's see here, as we all know, people born into certain lifestyles or situations (wealth, poverty, jehovah's witness) live w/that their whole life, therefore they know it as true & real. Are you saying that it's not?

Once again, BE GAY, get your civil union, please feel free. Just don't involve me, don't shove it in my face, and don't expect me to acknowledge two men (or two women) having a wedding ceremony a legitimate marriage.[/quote]
And how would allowing total & complete strangers to marry involve you? Is your marriage going to crumble in the face of this event? If it does, what does that say about the state of your own marriage? This is something people who feel the "sanctity" of marriage will evaporate if gay marriage is allowed should think about....in essence, they are admitting albeit secretly that their marriage cannot withstand its own troubles so they feel the need to blame it on something completely unrelated to them. Typical american thought, blame others instead of taking responsibility. And I'm sure that no gay couple would even bother to invite you to their ceremony considering your attitude. I hope you in turn receive the same crap treatment.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:13 PM

Excellent! Enough said, then--

Old 05-12-2008, 12:13 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,561,646 times
My previous post may be hard to read, I did the quotes incorrect. Otherwise, enjoy!

Old 05-12-2008, 12:15 PM

408 posts, read 695,968 times
Quote:
Excellent! Enough said, then--
Agreed. Oh sweet victory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies