Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2008, 02:25 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,891,655 times

Advertisements

No, no, I believe you misunderstand my post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Let me ask this question. At what point did you cease to believe in that the United States was a land of classic freedom, because it didn't accept homosexual marriage?
When I was fifteen and, after writing a heartfelt editorial in the paper was forced to stop attending school for a time because a man threatened to kill me.

Here's what I believe, and you can take it or leave it.
On this big spinning planet, we are all just human, trying to be happy. I think people forget that sometimes. I'm not trying to subvert anyone, trying to further an agenda, or even trying to insult you with my vocabulary or whatever labels you might smack me with. I'm a human being- I have a heart, and a brain, eyes, two feet, ten toes and a wild unmanageable mane of hair. The blood that pumps through my veins is exactly the same as that which pumps through yours. I have dreams and ambitions which are likely a lot like yours: I want to graduate from college, get a good job, meet someone with whom I can spend the rest of my life, write a novel, buy a boat, and discover a new species of anemone.
The difference between me pressing my moralities on you and you pressing your moralities on me is pretty simple: my moralities wouldn't have an effect on you. If gay marriage was legalized, your life would not change. Just because it would be legal for people of the same sex to marry doesn't mean you would be obligated to go out there and marry the next guy you see.
I'm not trying to control your life. I don't care what you do, who you marry, who you pray to, etc. On the other hand, you are trying to control my life. You're taking your ideology, which I don't believe in, and forcing it on me.
I think it's pretty simple. Now, I don't expect you to agree or even understand what I just said. In fact, I have every expectation that you will continue to berate me. I really don't care all that much. I learned a long time ago that not everyone is going to like what I have to say. The good news is, a lot of people do. I've won quite a lot of awards for my political activism, I've traveled across the country to talk to people. So you'll understand why I really couldn't care less what some backcountry southern hick "rebel" has to say about my personal life. Frankly, I don't really think it's any of your business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 02:53 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,969,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
if gay people want to be as miserable as most of the married people I know, well then, let 'em go at it!

Old 05-12-2008, 02:58 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,616,607 times
Quote:
So you'll understand why I really couldn't care less what some backcountry southern hick "rebel" has to say about my personal life.
GLAD I caught this one right before ready to sign out for the evening. Not withstanding that we can match "hatecrime" stats forever (in this case, homosexual on straight) it just goes to prove a corollary point of mine. To wit...those who scream and breast beat and pound and holler all the live-long day about "tolerance" (or whatever...) are usually the most intolerant and bigoted of all, when it comes to living it.

You are right though, of course. Your personal life is none of my business. I hope in turn you are not under any illusions that I care one way or another what you and your boyfriend do. That is, past the point of that you attempt to force it (if it means accepting of it in a legal and moral sense) on me and the rest of society.

Oh gawd...Some "backwood, southern hick, 'rebel", huh? HAHAHAHHAHA. I LOVE IT!!! Great example of tolerance! BUT...I must cut you some slack. As I understand the mindset of the left, it goes goes somthing like this: I am a morally-superior human being, and those who don't agree with me are, by definition, intolerant and bigoted, and intolerance and bigotry are NOT to be tolerated! Hey, y'all cain't help it anymore than you can your eye color. It comes with the territory. The whole underlying premise of the homosexual agenda depends on ascribing "hate" to those who oppose it.

*grins and take a bite of grits and catfish*

Anyway, as I said, gotta get outta here for the evening. Meanwhile, here is one to read:

Townhall.com::Fake Anti-“Gayâ€Â “Hate Crimesâ€Â Keep Piling Up::By Matt Barber

You have a good evenin' now, you heah? (sentiments from an ol' backwood Suth'un TEK-siz boy...

Good night to all!

Last edited by TexasReb; 05-12-2008 at 03:14 PM..

Old 05-12-2008, 03:33 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,655,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
GLAD I caught this one right before ready to sign out for the evening. Not withstanding that we can match "hatecrime" stats forever (in this case, homosexual on straight) it just goes to prove a corollary point of mine. To wit...those who scream and breast beat and pound and holler all the live-long day about "tolerance" (or whatever...) are usually the most intolerant and bigoted of all, when it comes to living it.

You are right though, of course. Your personal life is none of my business. I hope in turn you are not under any illusions that I care one way or another what you and your boyfriend do. That is, past the point of that you attempt to force it (if it means accepting of it in a legal and moral sense) on me and the rest of society.

Oh gawd...Some "backwood, southern hick, 'rebel", huh? HAHAHAHHAHA. I LOVE IT!!! Great example of tolerance! BUT...I must cut you some slack. As I understand the mindset of the left, it goes goes somthing like this: I am a morally-superior human being, and those who don't agree with me are, by definition, intolerant and bigoted, and intolerance and bigotry are NOT to be tolerated! Hey, y'all cain't help it anymore than you can your eye color. It comes with the territory. The whole underlying premise of the homosexual agenda depends on ascribing "hate" to those who oppose it.
All I got out of the above is that someone is accusing someone else of being intolerant when he himself is expressing intolerance. What the issue seems to be about is who is really obligated to be tolerant-- gay couples who must go on living without legal marriage or partnerships or those who would feel they would have to tolerate having something forced upon them if gay marriage was made legal.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Is it possible to be neither a "conservative" or a "liberal" in this country? If so, that's what I wanna be when I grow up...
It probably wouldn't work either. You would be called names like "fence sitter."

Old 05-12-2008, 03:59 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,572,367 times
Don't all you bible-thumpers love to preach? Ever hear of "do unto others..."? I guess that wasn't taught where you come from.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:01 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,869,230 times
[quote=bbkaren;3740459]Our govt was founded on Christian principles.

(actually it was libertarian principles, most of the founding fathers believed in liberty as a right of all men)

One day I hope people will get sick of our country going off in bizarre directions (not the least of which is political correctness and fear of offending the few, at great cost to the many). At that point we will be able to take another look at traditional values and procedures that made this country great.

Tis interesting, I am one who believes that politics is seldom correct, primarily because it is interpreted by politicians, and "Christian principles" is a contradiction in terms, at least as to the manner it is largely practiced in this country. What ever happened to "love thy neighbor" or "judge not lest ye be judged" Yeah, I get the message loudly and clearly, "Love thy neighbor as long as he/she is just like us, and ain't no homosexual, negro, native american, hispanic, or any artsy-fartsy type. If'n we can't understand what yer a-sayin' to us it's acause ya use them big fancy words (we don't use em' on accounta we dropped outta school cause they wuz teachin' evolution n' other ungodly subjects,ever body knowed it's better to be godawful ignorant than believe in science!!!!) Why if given their own way....the next thing they gonna do away with is Slavery! An' thas one fine ole American tradition. Personally, I really fear they gonna let Women vote, yup, I think they will, twarn't in the constitution but they a-gonna do it anywho! Even worse, I think they even gonna let em' drive.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:04 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,643,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
So you'll understand why I really couldn't care less what some backcountry southern hick "rebel" has to say about my personal life.
Sorry Xa'at, I was agreeing with your whole post until you threw in that last part. You make good points but you are also dividing people within the gay community.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Gay marriage is a conflict in terms.

Marriage takes place between a man and a woman.
But come on, haven't you heard the expression, "Love is blind."

Old 05-12-2008, 04:23 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,358,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Roamer View Post
Really... what would happen if homosexuals were allowed to marry? If you oppose it, why?
Everyone would have to find something else to fight about. personally I don't care, it is not even on my list of concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies