Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2008, 06:13 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Sort of like how Bushes speeches after 9/11 kept mentioning Iraq. So if those words are in the same speech, then they must be true or associated in some way.
The Democrats also mentioned Iraq (a lot).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2008, 06:17 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Let he who is without sin...

And, I might add, ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

Greed is sin. Envy is sin. Gluttony and sloth are sins. Pride. Wrath. Lust. Yet we, in this nation, have lifted those sins to the level of artform. Greed, especially, is not only tolerated, but encouraged!

And yet who is demonized? Gay people. In the case of gay marriage, gay people who just want to live a life of commitment and monogamy in an era in which both are hard to find in any community.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:28 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
I'll say it again for those not understanding....do unto others. simple, to the point, end of discussion. This is ridiculous.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Because in many cases, a higher minimum wage forces some employers to lay off employees or to not hire more.
Having a job should keep a person out of poverty, not in it.

And actually, most employers could easily afford to pay their employees a higher minimum wage if they weren't so focused on overflowing their own pockets. If these empoyers can't afford to pay their empoyees enough to keep them out of poverty, then they "morally" should not have started a business in the first place.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:22 PM

468 posts, read 1,637,026 times
Nothing.

Ask all the Religious people in the world. They have a problem with it and won't let it go.

Whatever. Seriously.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:29 PM

251 posts, read 710,133 times
Quote:
This is PRECISELY the "definition" of marriage that I think some people on here are scared is going to become mainstream.
What do you mean by become mainstream, it's how it started.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:32 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
If your such a fan of a moral society, why don't you religious right people start pushing for liveable minimum wages. Thats a moral society issue.
Or get straights to live right under the Bible since so many people think morality comes from the Bible or religion. In the more religious right oriented states, such as Oklahoma, the unwed teen birth rate is higher than in most states, and so is the divorce rate. The Bible councils against doing such things. Yet in many of the liberal states, such as Massachusetts and Minnesota you'll find those things occurring at a lower rate. I'm quite amused to have learned how the liberal states find it so much easier to live under the Bible. But then the hypocrisy of it all in the religious right states just stinks to high heaven.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:35 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Because in many cases, a higher minimum wage forces some employers to lay off employees or to not hire more.
Big deal. Paying minimum wage just makes people need welfare, like food stamps and if it's not gay marriage, then conservatives will complain about welfare.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:10 PM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Big deal. Paying minimum wage just makes people need welfare, like food stamps and if it's not gay marriage, then conservatives will complain about welfare.
Big deal? It is a big deal to those who get laid off because their employer is forced to pay more per hour.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:16 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,598,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xa'at View Post
Hey, man, I don't pull punches. If y'all are allowed to post whatever floats into your mind here, than I am too. The great part about it is, this is America, you can say whatever you want. It's when you take action and try to limit the rights of others that it becomes problematic.
Been to busy to reply, and no point now, as too much to catch up on and don't have the time to try or bother (but that may change, who knows! LOL).

Anyway, you miss MY point. In America we can say what we want, I agree with that completely. BUT...it seems the left (which generally includes a support the homosexual agenda) are the ones most likely to try and shut down others right to disagree with it (or any other cause celebre'). I have said repeatedly, I am not one of those conservatives who wants to pass laws restricting what two consenting adults do behind closed doors. I even agree that sexual orientation is, in many instances, something that can't be changed. For a conservative of the old school, that is pretty "liberal" thinking! LOL. And it follows from that that I sure don't think, in moral/religious terms, that it is a "sin" to be what one cannot help being.

BUT...where we apparently part company is over the notion of "rights." I do not accept a homosexual relationship as "normal" and definitely not that "marriage" between the same is a "right", much less the equivalent of that between a man and woman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies