Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2008, 05:06 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
I think a big issue is that biblically it is wrong (it is, sorry). The Bible speaks clearly against it and that marriage is to be b/w man and woman. And for some, it's just not something they are comfortable with seeing (same sex couples together). I don't like excessive PDA's from any couple whether they be hetero or homosexual. It's just one of those issues that will probably always push buttons.
What does the Bible have to do with the U.S. Constitution being amended? Why are we encouraging our legislators to equivocate a philosophical book to the law of the land? Are we forgetting that we are not supposed to elevate one religious affilliation above another? How would Christians like it if a Muslim were to become president and demand that the Qur'an be used as a basis for new legislation? There would be massive outcries, and people like Ann Coulter would wet themselves. Double-standard, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 11:20 PM

348 posts, read 557,348 times
Default God's Law

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
If your church doesn't wish to marry specific individuas, I could care less. But creating a law denying my church, or a non-church entity, to marry two (or more) individuals is none of your business.
Firstly, I do not have a "church".
Your church is a man made church, and whenever man makes something, then he has jurisdiction over it. So your church can teach whatever it wishes, and everyone on Earth is given a free will to choose what he wants.

God also tells us that scripture is for no private interpretation.
2 Peter 1:20-21 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke [as they were] moved by the Holy Spirit.

So I did not create any laws, against such things as homosexual, bestiality, adultery, etc. These are all God's laws and we should try our best to live by them.

God throughout the OT writings and history has always punished a nation or group of people that strayed away from his laws. He gives them time to repent, but only so much. He quite often will use one evil nation to destroy another evil nation. Tell me please, what happened to Sodom and Gomorra?

Christ's Ekklesia (assembly) is not a building. He paid for it with his own blood and suffered a terrible death of crucifixion.

Please visit this site to understand how much pain a man must go through during a crucifixion!

A physician's look at the crucifixion Agony of Love

As you can see. He suffered greatly to give you the opportunity... if you choose.

Old 03-28-2008, 11:28 PM

Default It Did Occur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaShay87 View Post
Touche....did it ever occur to you that not everything is dictated by religious belifs? Whatever happened to the separation of church and state? Countries are killing themselves for religion, and we are fighting to help the non-extremist to stay alive. So knowing here what can happen when religion is wrapped around the neck of politics why do we continue to take away the rights of others just because its what some people believe to be wrong? I thought we could learn from others mistakes
Please start learning. British Special Forces Caught Carrying Out Staged Terror In Iraq?

Old 03-29-2008, 12:47 AM

408 posts, read 696,229 times
So because of this incident you think that the problems they are having overseas have nothing to do with religion? You are joking right?

Old 03-29-2008, 01:45 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
Firstly, I do not have a "church".
Your church is a man made church, and whenever man makes something, then he has jurisdiction over it. So your church can teach whatever it wishes, and everyone on Earth is given a free will to choose what he wants.

God also tells us that scripture is for no private interpretation.
2 Peter 1:20-21 knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke [as they were] moved by the Holy Spirit.

So I did not create any laws, against such things as homosexual, bestiality, adultery, etc. These are all God's laws and we should try our best to live by them.

God throughout the OT writings and history has always punished a nation or group of people that strayed away from his laws. He gives them time to repent, but only so much. He quite often will use one evil nation to destroy another evil nation. Tell me please, what happened to Sodom and Gomorra?

Christ's Ekklesia (assembly) is not a building. He paid for it with his own blood and suffered a terrible death of crucifixion.

Please visit this site to understand how much pain a man must go through during a crucifixion!

A physician's look at the crucifixion Agony of Love

As you can see. He suffered greatly to give you the opportunity... if you choose.
Wait. I'm confused. Now gay dudes want to crucify each other, too??

When will it end?!?!?!

Old 03-29-2008, 03:25 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
I bet Webster's definition of marriage didn't read that way 50 years ago. Amazing, how even dictionaries can be edited to be politically correct.

I am with you on giving gays all the rights and benefits of marriage, just don't call it marriage. Civil Union is fine.
Definitions do not change to be politically correct, but because the times have changed.
Who cares what it's called.

But it's a funny temper tantrum that you don't want it to be called marriage even though it's a clearly recognized part of the definition.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:06 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,417,948 times
Quote:
They're significant because they involve love, companionship, support, and stability. It's not the same relationship as two brothers or two friends.
How can you say that two friends or brothers or any two people cant have a loving stable relationship that support each other? Thats purely wrong. I know two older gentlemen right now that have shared a house for 30 years. Theyre not gay but brothers in law, the ones wife passed 30 some years ago.
The only thing they dont share that a gay couple would is sex.

Let me put it this way, I'd have married my wife regardless of societal benefits. We did not enter into wedlock to gain anything. We did it because thats how people have been sealing a life long commitment between man & wife forever.
Would you still get married to your boyfriend lacking civil perks? Or is important now because you feel somehow your being denied something that has never been considered for same sex couples? Mostly these benefits are to help people raise a family. Since gay people cant have kids its a nonissue other than an attempt to normalize things that just aint normal.

Quote:
Plus gay couples can be parents, myself included. Yet we, as a couple, lack a LOT of rights married couples have, which in the end, is bad for our children. If this country strongly supported gay couples and adoption, it would help solve a big problem.
Gay couples cant be parents, in this case they are the problem. If the only reason you want to get married is because its tough to raise a kid then you shoulda thought of that first instead of hurting the child.
The ability to purchase/adopt doesn't make you a parent. Getting pregnant & making a child does. At best you offer foster care. Doesn't mean you dont love the child or provide a good home, but the truth is its for you not the kid that you adopted. The same is true of most hetero adoptions but its different because most often they tried for years before adopting. They still want something they cant get naturally, so its for themselves they adopt, but at last they offer the kid a normal home.
Quote:
Your attempt to rationalize your dislike of gay people makes no sense to me.
Thats ok, I dont dislike them, I just wont lie for or to you & wont accept your bent & twisted logic as reality to avoid offending you.

What makes no sense to me is how two male friends that engage in sex are entitled to things that 2 male friends that dont have sex are?

Anyway dont think I hate you or anyone else. I dont. Sexual prefference is a non issue. Prefferential treatments however are a real issue in this country & we need to get a grip on reality somewhere.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:00 AM

Default Listen to God (written word)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaShay87 View Post
So because of this incident you think that the problems they are having overseas have nothing to do with religion? You are joking right?
Please read Ephesians 6

Ephesians 6:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual [hosts] of wickedness in the heavenly [places.]

Many people of different cultures and religions will make many claims. Does this justify what they are doing just because they say they do it in the name of God? America, presently a great industrial nation, aborts United States Abortion Statistics (broken link) annually 1,200,000 children. When they go to Iraq, Perpetual Death From America which was the weakest country, does it in the name of God. George Bush repeatedly says "God bless America". So, is this God's doing? Do not blame it on God. Christ said that he is the only way, not Muhammad.YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
Please read Ephesians 6

Ephesians 6:12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual [hosts] of wickedness in the heavenly [places.]

Many people of different cultures and religions will make many claims. Does this justify what they are doing just because they say they do it in the name of God? America, presently a great industrial nation, aborts United States Abortion Statistics (broken link) annually 1,200,000 children. When they go to Iraq, Perpetual Death From America which was the weakest country, does it in the name of God. George Bush repeatedly says "God bless America". So, is this God's doing? Do not blame it on God. Christ said that he is the only way, not Muhammad.YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.
NO one said that this was God's doing, I said that people were hurting themselves because of religion. I'm not blaming God, I am blaming extremist that think they are doing God's work, when all they are doing is twisting the situation and hurting others in the process.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post

Gay couples cant be parents, in this case they are the problem. If the only reason you want to get married is because its tough to raise a kid then you shoulda thought of that first instead of hurting the child.
The ability to purchase/adopt doesn't make you a parent. Getting pregnant & making a child does. At best you offer foster care. Doesn't mean you dont love the child or provide a good home, but the truth is its for you not the kid that you adopted. The same is true of most hetero adoptions but its different because most often they tried for years before adopting. They still want something they cant get naturally, so its for themselves they adopt, but at last they offer the kid a normal home.

Don't ever presume that you know what children that are not yours think. And yes gay couples can be parents! Just because they did not have that child in the natural sense does not mean they are not parents. If you really want to believe that then all the stepmothers and stepfathers that care for their spouses kids really have nothing to do with them, they are not their real parents and should not have the title as a stepparent. And once again you have made sweeping generalizations about an entire group of people that you know nothing about, I keep hearing this from conservatives...do all of you do that hoping you get it right? Kind of hit or miss type deal. And NO, gay couples that have children (whether adopted or natural with one parent) are not hurting their children, they love and want nothing more but happiness for their children. If you want to know the truth I will be happy to fill you in...its people that are narrow minded and ignorant, except to their own lives, that keep the rights away from same sex couples and their children. They are scared that the gay couples are going to do a better job at parenting then them!! And from my experience (considering I came from a straight and gay marriage) they are doing a better job! They are teaching their children about unconditional love, tolerance, acceptance, not judging others for who they are or where they come from. They teach them firsthand that you can be different and be happy. I will hope for you that in the future you will maybe do some type of research or find out for yourself what it is like for those families...and yes they are real families, with real children and real parents that love them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies