Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 12:00 PM

716 posts, read 393,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
naacp?

Uncf?
Entities that were created when those terms were in common use. It's sad that conservatives have such a hard time dealing with change.

Back in the day, the N word was very common, I'm sure conservatives at the time bitched and moaned about all this PC crap over their use of the term and were resentful that common courtesy now required them to use this new term, negro.

Back in the day, the term negro was very common, I'm sure conservatives at the time bitched and moaned about all this PC crap over their use of the term and were resentfull that common courtesy now required them to use the new term, African American.

Customs change, terminology changes, times change, grow up and get over it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 03:31 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
NO...and do get some exposure. Not everyone of African heritage is an African-American.

There are African-Americans, Afro-Caribbeans, Afro-Latinos etc in the U.S.

I am of African descent. I am NOT African-American.

Common sense indeed.
I have more exposure than you will ever know.....maybe you should not read between the lines and cypher what you think I'm saying.

Then your "common sense" needs to resonate will your fellow Americans.....

Old 05-25-2016, 03:31 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
naacp?

Uncf?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
Entities that were created when those terms were in common use.

Boxus, you really didn't realize that? LOL, for future reference, you might want to conduct a little research before you post.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:32 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
What are we supposed to say if we want to buy a Oriental Rug now that Obama says we can't use that word?

Old 05-25-2016, 05:58 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I will continue to use the term Orientals and its counter-parts, ie the Occident, Occidentals, etc.

Oriental and Occidental simply mean Eastern and Western respectively.
That is correct.

The President is once again impersonating a pandering ignoramus.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:22 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
What are we supposed to say if we want to buy a Oriental Rug now that Obama says we can't use that word?
Obama isn't saying that you can't use that word and you know it. This has zero impact on you. The Federal Gov is no longer going to use the word. That's it. The law has no impact on you whatsoever. Go ahead and shout "Oriental!" from the rooftops if you wish. Knock yourself out.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:25 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,135,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I will continue to use the term Orientals and its counter-parts, ie the Occident, Occidentals, etc.

Oriental and Occidental simply mean Eastern and Western respectively.
Awesome! And good for you, since you are intelligent enough to know that this law has nothing to do with how, where, or how often you personally use that word.
Say it out loud if you want to! Go ahead!
Oriental!
Oriental!
Oriental!
Feel better? Good!

Old 05-26-2016, 08:27 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Entities that were created when those terms were in common use. It's sad that conservatives have such a hard time dealing with change.

Back in the day, the N word was very common, I'm sure conservatives at the time bitched and moaned about all this PC crap over their use of the term and were resentful that common courtesy now required them to use this new term, negro.

Back in the day, the term negro was very common, I'm sure conservatives at the time bitched and moaned about all this PC crap over their use of the term and were resentfull that common courtesy now required them to use the new term, African American.

Customs change, terminology changes, times change, grow up and get over it...
You stated the following:

Quote:
Probably the same people who still refer to blacks as colored or Negros These are the same folks who're clueless about why so many find the slavers flag insulting.

Far too many conservatives can't detect the difference between not being PC and being asshats...

So, the key term you stated is "people who still refer to blacks as.....These are the same folks who're clueless..."

So, I rightfully pointed out two organizations that use these terms; are they clueless as you stated? Nothing prevents these organizations from changing their names.

Just as you stated these organizations were using these terms before someone, who ever, declared them "offensive", so have millions of people. Yet according to you, it is ok for these organizations to use the term because they were using it before the terms were declared "offensive", yet it is not ok for people who were using the term before it was declared offensive to continue using?

If the term was truly offensive, these organizations would change their names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
Boxus, you really didn't realize that? LOL, for future reference, you might want to conduct a little research before you post.
You should actually read the posting trail before making ridiculous comments like you just did. The poster clearly stated "Probably the same people who still refer to blacks as colored or Negros These are the same folks who're clueless about why so many find the slavers flag insulting." So I countered with a simple example of two organizations that use the terms.

It does not matter they used the terms before the terms were considered offensive, millions of other people were also using the terms before they were declared offensive. The organizations can change their names if the terms are supposedly so offensive, but they do not change their names. Yet, millions of people are suppose to all of a sudden agree and conform to stop using a term due to some declaration that it is "offensive".

Given the amount of terms that have been declared "offensive", it is no wonder that many people take this with a grain of salt. When in the news there are people stating "Founding Fathers" is offensive, it really undermines a lot of other claims of what constitutes offensive terminology.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:37 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Who knew? As it turns out, the word "oriental" is derogatory. Our government, ever quick to be PC, has just scrubbed the term from the federal books and will now refer to those "orientals" as Asian Americans. Before you blame Obama for falling all over himself with political correctness, understand that representatives sent him the bill. Yes, the Republican congress that can't agree on much of anything unanimously passed this bill. This is serious stuff, I guess.

Until Trump is elected and repeals this right after Obamacare, I will stop using the term. How about you?

President Obama Signs Bill Eliminating 'Oriental' From Federal Law - NBC News

It says:

Quote:
"Oriental" had still existed in Title 42 of the U.S. Code, which was written in the 1970s. It will be replaced with "Asian Americans."

If, indeed, the word "oriental" was being used to refer to Americans of Asian descent, then that was quite inaccurate. It would be as though Americans of European descent were referred to in US law as "Europeans."

Old 05-26-2016, 09:29 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Hey Asians, look, we are on your side. we banned the word you ALL hated.

But, compassion stops right here, there are still too many Asian males in tech industry. There are still too many Asians in college. we still need to fix that.

Words speak much louder than action, remember that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies