Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2016, 05:33 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times

Advertisements

Speaking of 'Orientals' has anyone seen Ann Coulter's latest lunacy regarding Asian-Americans? I think she may be officially nuts now. She insists they are 'oranges.'

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ann-coult...152700681.html

Ann Coulter brags about the large number of 'Mandarins' at California pro-Trump rally: Shanghaiist

Ann Coulter Insists ‘Mandarins’ Is The Proper Term For Asians, Refuses To Apologize
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 05:33 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Agreeing with me is a compliment? Geez...you hold yourself in pretty high esteem, don't you?

I didn't put you down. I said simply reaffirmed that you agreed. OK. Gotcha.

Don't know why you want me to be your brother, but that's a topic for another day.
No, saying hey look we agree....and between us, damn right that's a compliment.

No, you said "you know what" that we agree.

If I agree with you, why did you have to come back with "YOU agree"? O.K. gottcha....Were you mad that I said "I agree with you? Seems like it....

Man, you did not have to say a word except, cool......

Old 06-01-2016, 05:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
No, saying hey look we agree....and between us, damn right that's a compliment.

No, you said "you know what" that we agree.

If I agree with you, why did you have to come back with "YOU agree"? O.K. gottcha....Were you mad that I said "I agree with you? Seems like it....

Man, you did not have to say a word except, cool......
No really...it's not a compliment. OK. We agreed. Lots of people agree with me all the time. It's not a special event in my life.

If you agree, then just say so and state the reason without all the extra histrionics.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:26 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
No really...it's not a compliment. OK. We agreed. Lots of people agree with me all the time. It's not a special event in my life.

If you agree, then just say so and state the reason without all the extra histrionics.
Get over yourself, you are not that good, me saying that I agree with you means it's a compliment to YOU, saying that yes you are right and my compliments to you for saying what you did.

Freaking amazing how some people think that is wrong...

Old 06-01-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Get over yourself, you are not that good, me saying that I agree with you means it's a compliment to YOU, saying that yes you are right and my compliments to you for saying what you did.

No really...it wasn't a compliment. Seriously though.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:37 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post

In a nutshell oriental refers to a thing, not a person.
Wrong. It refers to either.

Claiming that it only refers to things and not people is false. It's like saying white refers to white things, so it can't refer to people.

It's a silly argument that fails.

Quote:
At one time oriental was considered acceptable in this country, but then again so were "retard" and "colored".
False equivalence.

"Retard" was often used disparagingly, "Oriental" never was.

"Colored" was used during Jim Crow and segregation, so it has a negative connotation. "Oriental" never had a negative connotation.

There are other tags applied to Asians that are negative and disparaging. "Oriental" is not one of them.

Quote:
And most importantly we need to respect the feeling of Asian Americans who have made their feelings clear.
Language should not be altered for no other reason than that a particular group wants to alter it. There has to be a legitimate reason for the alteration.

Quote:
[/i]“It’s associated with a time period when Asians had a subordinate status,” Professor Wu told the Times. He added that people link the term to old stereotypes of Asians and the era when the United States government passed exclusion acts to keep Asian people from entering the country. Given this, “For many Asian Americans, it’s not just this term: It’s about much more…It’s about your legitimacy to be here,” Wu said.
Again, this is all false.

How were Asian immigrants any more subordinate than Irish or Italian immigrants? They weren't.

The Chinese Exclusion Act was not "the Oriental Exclusion Act."

The internment of Japanese-Americans during WW II was not the internment of "Oriental-Americans."

Quote:
Asian can be used for people or things, it is not an offensive word at all. Asian refers to anyone or anything that comes from or is related to any country in Asia - from China to India to Vietnam, including the Philippines and Japan, and in some cases that large rural part of Russia.
"Oriental", like "Asian", can be used to refer to people or things.

So again, this argument fails.

It is obvious that taking offense at the term "Oriental" is political correctness and false racial grievance-mongering run amok.

There are plenty of offensive tags for Asians --"Oriental" is not one of them.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Wrong. It refers to either.

Claiming that it only refers to things and not people is false. It's like saying white refers to white things, so it can't refer to people.

It's a silly argument that fails.

False equivalence.

"Retard" was often used disparagingly, "Oriental" never was.

"Colored" was used during Jim Crow and segregation, so it has a negative connotation. "Oriental" never had a negative connotation.

There are other tags applied to Asians that are negative and disparaging. "Oriental" is not one of them.

Language should not be altered for no other reason than that a particular group wants to alter it. There has to be a legitimate reason for the alteration.

Again, this is all false.

How were Asian immigrants any more subordinate than Irish or Italian immigrants? They weren't.

The Chinese Exclusion Act was not "the Oriental Exclusion Act."

The internment of Japanese-Americans during WW II was not the internment of "Oriental-Americans."

"Oriental", like "Asian", can be used to refer to people or things.

So again, this argument fails.

It is obvious that taking offense at the term "Oriental" is political correctness and false racial grievance-mongering run amok.

There are plenty of offensive tags for Asians --"Oriental" is not one of them.
They don't like the term, so don't use it. It's that simple.

You were already complying, so just continue to do so and don't make a fuss over it.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
The only reason it is considered considered offensive today is a Radical Professor from the 70s decided he didn't like it. When you look up the history of the word, it just comes from word Orient, which means the East. Oriental refers to people of the east.....If you noticed the links supplied that say the word is offensive, all are recent, just SJWs looking for something else to be offended by.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
I am also a Chinese American. I do not find the term "Oriental" offensive in the slightest. What I DO find rather offensive is the nerve of the politicians to lower us to the standards of other groups by making a show of banning a word in our name.

Oriental means from the orient. It's not an offensive term in any way. Oriental / Asian people, at least the ones I know and am related to, generally don't bother themselves with such ridiculousness. It's silly, immature, and inconsequential. I am, however, rather irked by the politicians trying to make us look like we are a bunch of whiney crybabies who need a word to be banned. We don't. If the rest of you folks want to get all wrapped up in your PC wars, that's fine, but please leave us out of it.
Well said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I find your post very interesting. While it may not offend you and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. If you, or the other poster who is not offended by other obviously slanderous terms such as 'ch*nk"
Who here has said that the term "ch*nk" isn't offensive?

Quote:
From what I have read so many Asians in American find it offensive that it is now defined this way:

ORIENTAL (noun)
The noun ORIENTAL has 1 sense: 1. a member of an Oriental race; the term is regarded as offensive by Asians (especially by Asian Americans).....I'm not sure dictionaries are in the business of being overly PC.
Actually they are, which is unfortunate.

That mere fact that some people are offended by a word should not be part of the definition of that word.

If the word were used disparagingly (which "oriental" isn't), then it would be a different story.

Quote:
That's not overly PC, it's being sensitive to others and their feelings.
Language is not meant to promote sensitivity to others' feelings. It is meant to communicate. Period.

Quote:

Indeed.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:05 AM

Quote:
They don't like the term, so don't use it. It's that simple.

You were already complying, so just continue to do so and don't make a fuss over it.
Yes, SIR!

Old 06-02-2016, 01:07 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Oh Nos, these businesses are going to have to change their names. Or (gasp) they're RACIST!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=orie...m=122&ie=UTF-8

Those are Oriental Food Markets not oriental
people who really ( get this ) are Asian People.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies