Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2016, 12:43 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,740,800 times

Advertisements

The historical knowledge of this thread is absurd. Another to ignore.

As a note, I'm related to the guy. Comical indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2016, 12:45 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 25 days ago)

29,561 posts, read 16,552,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
As the saying goes: If you're not a democrat when you're young you don't have a heart. If you're not a republican when you're older you don't have a brain.
A saying that makes no sense because the split is 60-37 on the young end in favor of Dems and 56-44 in favor of republicans on the older end.

Neither side has a 99%-1 edge.

The saying should read "if you think ideology is determined by age, then you have no brain".

Old 05-28-2016, 12:47 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,236,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Maybe because liberal democrats, especially urban liberal democrats, have spent the last decade+ attacking whites every chance they get, and claiming "white privilege" is the cause anytime a minority has any kind of problem and push "white guilt" as if people should be ashamed for their skin color. Also for southerners in particular liberal democrats have been attacking their history and culture incessantly, especially in the last few years. People in the south are proud of their heritage and liberals keep telling them they're racists and KKK members for it.

It's no wonder they're losing white voters.
You nailed it!

Old 05-28-2016, 12:53 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The average white southerner could barely feed himself before the New Deal. Many were nothing more than dirt farmers. Blacks had it even worse.

People can trash the New Deal all they want, but Americans reaffirmed it's validity 4 times by electing Roosevelt. There's nothing more to argue.
Nothing more than dirt farmers is one of the dumbest statements I have ever read on City-Data. Do you think a dirt farmer was at all concerned about a New Deal. My parents were share croppers until they bought a farm and after we got the farm, our lives changed dramatically. We didn't worry about rationing of food or quotas on much of anything. We were self sufficient. I pay $600 a year taxes to keep ten acres we own because I know if we get really hard times in the USA we could live off what we could grow on five acres of that land. And the other five acres has trees. If you don't know money grows on trees you haven't sold one lately.

Please don't lower dirt farmers to the level of those in town living paycheck to paycheck with nothing else to eat if the paycheck stops.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:07 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,236,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
You do know that most Republicans back then were FAR more like the Democrat of today...right?

LOL! Did you just say that with a straight face?

Today's Democrats are Quasi-Marxist lunatics.

Where do you hear this nonsense?

Old 05-28-2016, 03:11 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
People can trash the New Deal all they want, but Americans reaffirmed it's validity 4 times by electing Roosevelt. There's nothing more to argue.
It's like when you let your friend who is down on his luck stay with you. The first few months it might be good, but after a few years and he has friends staying over as well, you begin to become disillusioned.

How many trillions are we in debt?

Old 05-28-2016, 03:40 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,456,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I don't know whether that poster is talking about it but my Democrat husband is mad as a wet hen over Obama calling it "a symbol of hate."
Well, it is. But I guess the truth hurts. Maybe your hubby wants to continue fighting the Civil War. You know, the whole fantasy about the South will rise again.

Old 05-28-2016, 04:04 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
The largest bloc of supporters (and arguably, the strongest supporters) of the New Deal were working class white voters, who benefited tremendously from the economic policies of President Franklin Roosevelt - who was easily the most liberal President in American history, especially when judged in the context of his time.

However, by the late 1960s, many working and middle class white voters were defecting to the Republican Party, and by the 1980s, many more were voting for conservative Republicans like Ronald Reagan and his Congressional allies. Today, a considerable majority of white voters prefer Republicans; President Obama received only 39% of the white vote in 2012, despite winning reelection.

Nowhere could this transformation be seen more clearly than in the South, which since the 1960s, has gone from being the most Democratic region in the country to the most Republican one. What changed? Why are so many white voters - particularly Southern whites - no longer voting for liberal Democrats?
White Southerners voted for democrats, but back then democrats were not exactly "liberal" in the social sense. Ever heard of the dixiecrats?

Old 05-28-2016, 04:11 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
LOL! Did you just say that with a straight face?

Today's Democrats are Quasi-Marxist lunatics.

Where do you hear this nonsense?
This is an Absurd interpretation of politics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propulser View Post
Roosevelt was a disaster, he New Deal was a disaster (as the Sec. Treas later railed against the huge waste of spending. Roosevelt's policies turned a minor recession into a depression, kinda like Obama and his 12.5% unemployment.
This is an absurd interpretation of history

Old 05-28-2016, 05:23 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Well, it is. But I guess the truth hurts. Maybe your hubby wants to continue fighting the Civil War. You know, the whole fantasy about the South will rise again.
No it isn't. It is actually a Christian symbol and educated people know that. Look it up! And the south doesn't need to rise again. We have always had class. That is something money cannot buy.

Yes it is disturbing that we had a classless family in the White House for more than 7 years. If he had any class he would realize our nations history and have some respect for it instead of championing criminals and troublemakers. I think the way he treats our law enforcement is criminal in itself. He causes their lives to be in jeopardy.

Our teachers all told us what a wonderful president Roosevelt was but looking back, I am not impressed. Nanny government makes weak people. Getting elected doesn't mean that the person elected is good for our country. When you teach people to depend on the government for their livelihood they lose their self respect and become parasites. And spend all you want to giving to other countries but that will not make real friends because you cannot buy real friends.

When I look back and see the flawed presidents this country has had it has to be a miracle our country is still standing. I know the left doesn't like this because I heard them boo God at their last convention but our country is still standing by the grace of God and no other reason.

Last edited by NCN; 05-28-2016 at 05:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies