Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 12:11 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
You left out a key line. Strange that is the only one you omitted.

The title makes it sound like he was fined for giving money to a panhandler. He was fined because he was caught in a seatbelt sting.

Also note that in the CTV Regina version of the article, Rusk had his seatbelt off before he went to hand change to the panhandler (e.g. he had not put it on yet after pulling out of the supermarket parking space). In the Global-CA article, he mentions didn't put his seatbelt back on until after he had turned the next corner.
Man ticketed after handing change to cop posing as panhandler | CTV News
Panhandlers or police? Regina officers go undercover to nab traffic offenders | Globalnews.ca

It really sucks it happened to him this way. Take out the panhandler, and at minimum he is not distracted and remembers his seatbelt sooner and doesn't get the ticket. But there is no doubt that he was driving for a while without his seatbelt on.
Ahh not wearing a seatbelt...another non-crime.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:13 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,540,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Ahh not wearing a seatbelt...another non-crime.
Actually, I think requiring seat belt use has saved more lives than almost any other law. Sometimes people need to be saved from their own incompetence.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:15 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:

The title makes it sound like he was fined for giving money to a panhandler. He was fined because he was caught in a seatbelt sting.
Not strange at all. I didn't quote the entire web site because I thought people could read it on their own. I did give you the link.

Quote:
Also note that in the CTV Regina version of the article, Rusk had his seatbelt off before he went to hand change to the panhandler (e.g. he had not put it on yet after pulling out of the supermarket parking space). In the Global-CA article, he mentions didn't put his seatbelt back on until after he had turned the next corner..
That's totally off topic. It's not about what this guy was doing with his seatbelt. It's all about what the skumbag LE is doing to entice somebody to violate a law. I don't care if the guy never put his seatbelt on. The issue us LE immoral activity.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:15 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Actually, I think requiring seat belt use has saved more lives than almost any other law. Sometimes people need to be saved from their own incompetence.
Sorry you need a laws to keep you from being a victim of your own incompetence. Where is Darwin when we need him?

And actually it's a also a fact in certain instances seat belts can cause injury and death.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:16 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:

Also note that in the CTV Regina version of the article, Rusk had his seatbelt off before he went to hand change to the panhandler (e.g. he had not put it on yet after pulling out of the supermarket parking space). In the Global-CA article, he mentions didn't put his seatbelt back on until after he had turned the next corner.
Man ticketed after handing change to cop posing as panhandler | CTV News
Panhandlers or police? Regina officers go undercover to nab traffic offenders | Globalnews.ca

It really sucks it happened to him this way. Take out the panhandler, and at minimum he is not distracted and remembers his seatbelt sooner and doesn't get the ticket. But there is no doubt that he was driving for a while without his seatbelt on.

Unbuckled is a moving violation..... If the vehicle is not in motion and certainly not on a public roadway, then one does not need to be buckled in.

Quote:
He then put his seat belt back on as he rolled into first gear and drove away, Rusk said.

About half a block up the road, a police officer from the Regina Police Service pulled Rusk over and slapped him with a $175 ticket for not wearing a seat belt, although he was wearing one at the time, Rusk said.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:19 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
There are lots of things that government can do to save lives. For example, if we lower the speed limit to 10 MPH we would probably save 99.9%.

But I'm an adult and should be able to decide what safety measures I need. Not the government.

But the point of the OP is not seatbelts. It's the LE attempt to lure somebody into committing a traffic violation.

Old 06-11-2016, 12:20 PM

1,984 posts, read 1,701,717 times
There is an obviously over-staffed police department.

If they have nothing better to do than run undercover seat-belt stings, they ought to give their taxpayers a break and cut their personnel numbers.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:19 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,736,880 times
did he get a 3 dollar credit??

Old 06-11-2016, 01:43 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Not strange at all. I didn't quote the entire web site because I thought people could read it on their own. I did give you the link.

That's totally off topic. It's not about what this guy was doing with his seatbelt. It's all about what the skumbag LE is doing to entice somebody to violate a law. I don't care if the guy never put his seatbelt on. The issue us LE immoral activity.
Except you left out only the one line about him unbuckling his seatbelt.

I've never had to take off my seatbelt to give a panhandler money. No normal person has to do this either. And the other articles make it pretty clear the guy did not have his seatbelt on in the first place.
So, what was the "enticement" part of this again?

Old 06-11-2016, 01:44 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,770,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Unbuckled is a moving violation..... If the vehicle is not in motion and certainly not on a public roadway, then one does not need to be buckled in.
Read the globalnews-ca article. The driver (not the police) said he drove around the corner with it still off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies