Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 11:59 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
The 1994 ban was based solely on looks, not on function. It was an idiotic, ineffectual law.
But hey, I got to march around telling everyone I had an "assault rifle".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 12:00 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,733,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
It's the toyota corolla of the gun world and does most everything well.

light
compact
interchangeable parts
found everywhere
easy to work on
fairly cheap
durable
accurate
highly accurate for hunting or target shooting
fits everyone easily

If someone wants just one gun that is the one they should choose

You can take a Toyota Corolla to any auto parts store and pimp it out with the "Puerto Rican Package" just like an AR15.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:01 PM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
So gun control advocates like Obama and Hillary would not be able to stop this shooting.
Take a breath and consider this issue from a bit broader perspective...

We all know that neither Obama or Hillary actually believes any gun control measure can "stop this shooting." I've never heard either make such a case and I doubt I ever will. It's only gun enthusiasts that say they say that sort of thing...

What I often ask myself and I have asked in these threads as well, just how would you as POTUS have an "honest discussion" about gun violence in America when obviously no politician in their right mind is simply going to say, "sorry, moments of silence out of respect for the last victims and the next are the best we can do."

What of all the other things that can be done? Obviously, there is effort on many fronts to deal with this problem.

Why gun control?

If you ask me, at least some level of gun control, what might be described as "sensible gun control," is far more a matter of attempting at least SOME level of satisfaction for the friends and families of victims and those fearful they're next over any notion that gun violence in America can actually be "stopped."

Also, if you are a politician, you are called upon to "do something!" Much like many Americans are calling upon politicians to "do something" about Muslim immigration.

What is sensible, practical and actually effective from a public policy standpoint and what is the dance politicians must do in the face of public outcry? We watch, and we be frustrated no matter what is done or not done...

Old 06-15-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
You can take a Toyota Corolla to any auto parts store and pimp it out with the "Puerto Rican Package" just like an AR15.
I've seen some pretty jacked up AR accessories

Old 06-15-2016, 12:03 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,280,282 times
I have fired the AR-15, as well as a carbine (but not the MCX specifically). I'm far from an expert, but even I know there are a bunch of inaccuracies here. The article says Carter is familiar with the AR due to his time in the military. Well, since the military doesn't use the AR, I'm calling b.s. on that. I'm also calling b.s. on the amount of tumbling suggested. The AR is better used to hunt smaller critters, like groundhogs or coyote, because the round isn't always sufficient for a large animal unless your shot placement is very good. I haven't served in the military, but I'm pretty sure their rifles are chambered in 7.62, not 5.56, and their sniper rifles are probably going to be .308's, at a minimum.

What is correct? The AR (and/or a carbine) chambered in 5.56 does indeed have less recoil than a rifle that doesn't dissipate gases in the same way (like a bolt-action hunting rifle). Yes, the bullet is just the very end part of the cartridge. Yes, the military uses select-fire weapons (single shot, 3 burst or full auto).

Old 06-15-2016, 12:09 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
What I often ask myself and I have asked in these threads as well, just how would you as POTUS have an "honest discussion" about gun violence in America when obviously no politician in their right mind is simply going to say, "sorry, moments of silence out of respect for the last victims and the next are the best we can do."

What of all the other things that can be done? Obviously, there is effort on many fronts to deal with this problem....
Stop showing gun violence on TV, movies, video games...

What does Israel do? They deal with this on a daily basis.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:12 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,280,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Oh boy, from the article

There’s a massive spring here in the stock that absorbs quite a bit of the recoil. There’s also, by design, a gas system that takes a lot of the gas from the firing of each bullet, and it evaporates it, so that when each bullet is fired, that gas and that recoil isn’t coming back on the shoulder each time, but it’s actually in the rifle in a more constructive manner.
I laughed at "massive spring" and "evaporates it". Mixing up evaporates and dissipates, for a supposed "expert" is just as bad as Obama saying the shooter had a Glock with lots of clips in it, or that DeGette lady saying you throw your magazines away after you shoot your bullets.

I appreciate that there's at least some attempt to explain firearms, but wish they'd find an actual expert instead of the guy who's going to play up to the media.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:15 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Every time there is a mass shooting gun nuts think it makes a really big difference what model gun the shooter used, or more importantly, that people who aren't gun nuts don't have encyclopedic knowledge of guns.

Any high capacity sem-auto should be the issue here.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I laughed at "massive spring" and "evaporates it". Mixing up evaporates and dissipates, for a supposed "expert" is just as bad as Obama saying the shooter had a Glock with lots of clips in it, or that DeGette lady saying you throw your magazines away after you shoot your bullets.

I appreciate that there's at least some attempt to explain firearms, but wish they'd find an actual expert instead of the guy who's going to play up to the media.
If it's evaporating he probably needs to put the gas tube back on

Old 06-15-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Every time there is a mass shooting gun nuts think it makes a really big difference what model gun the shooter used, or more importantly, that people who aren't gun nuts don't have encyclopedic knowledge of guns.

Any high capacity sem-auto should be the issue here.
Why? A pump shot gun is far more deadly. Any one with "common sense" would figure that out. Gun nuts just shake our heads because we already know that and get riled those that don't know won't at least make a teeny tiny attempt to listen.

The same reason these kooks use an AR , they just try and find the most scary gun they can for the terror effect. This gun can easily be single fed when the tube is empty. Not so an AR. Once the mag is done you had better have another.

With an ammo pouch you can load this beast all day long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies