Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 12:52 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
It is popular for several reasons.

USA military uses it, so when these guys get out, they buy the rifle that they are use to.

It is the cheapest battle rifle currently in the USA, which can change overnight if people think it will be banned.

The ammunition is cheap, relative to other rifle ammunition.

It is versatile, that is why the military uses it and law enforcement as well.

It is like legos for grown men, you can customize it easily and build your own.

So without going into a pro or anti gun rant, looking at it objectively, it really is easy to see why it is popular.
Actually, the military does not use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 12:56 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,553,456 times
here's a thought - since this is such a HOT TOPIC not just now, but all the time, why don't people who have never fired a weapon go to your local range and see what the fuss is all about. My 1st time was not as scary as I imagined it to be, and it was also a lot harder than I thought it would be. Once I got the hang of it, I found it to be fun - just like any sport. Challenging, competitive and I'll admit, I got a little bit of an adrenaline rush too!

Since then, I have taken the time to learn about firearms on my own and through friends that are SME's. I definitely don't take at face value what I hear on social media or from journalists. There is a lot of misinformation out there and I wanted to learn from people who actually knew what they were talking about.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:59 PM

21 posts, read 11,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
As with everything else (that gun nuts love to ignore) it's a question of degree. No one is talking about banning all guns, and no on thinks that banning some guns will stop all mass shootings. It will make it more difficult, and again..you know that. You just don't care.

Everyone on this board knows that if the killer in Orlando had a pump action shotgun, he would not have been able to kill 49 and injure another 50. Everyone...every gun nut here. The bottom line is, you guys just don't care. You want your toys and your Red Dawn Fantasies, and that's obviously more important to you than anything else, including other peoples lives. And the more common sense people try to talk to you, the more you sink into your paranoia fantasy world where the government is out to get you. It just keeps feeding off itself.
Don't forget I have a little dingaling

Old 06-15-2016, 12:59 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
here's a thought - since this is such a HOT TOPIC not just now, but all the time, why don't people who have never fired a weapon go to your local range and see what the fuss is all about. My 1st time was not as scary as I imagined it to be, and it was also a lot harder than I thought it would be. Once I got the hang of it, I found it to be fun - just like any sport. Challenging, competitive and I'll admit, I got a little bit of an adrenaline rush too!

Since then, I have taken the time to learn about firearms on my own and through friends that are SME's. I definitely don't take at face value what I hear on social media or from journalists. There is a lot of misinformation out there and I wanted to learn from people who actually knew what they were talking about.
The range we go to has target shooting contests once a month. Lots of adults and kids there.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:01 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If you don't think fifty people could be killed with a pump shotgun just unplug your keyboard so you won't be tempted to reply again.

Do you even know what a "ban" involves? No, no you don't. I have "banned" weapons from the first ban. I still got to hunt with them, take them to the range etc. I also went featureless and could legally use 30 round mags, heck 100 mag drums. But if that's what you want, go for it. Gun manufacturers are more clever than you think. They easily got around the last ban to sell ARs and other banned weapons. My SAR8 is simply an HK91 with a sticker over the old work HK91. Bought legally after one of these "bans".

common sense...........lmfao Have at it. You aren't doing anything you really want, window dressing. Believe this, we'll still have our ARs. And, there's not a #$@% thing you and your ilk can do about it either.

No, actually, the "there's not a damn think you can do about it" guy really doesn't care, as you can see.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:04 PM

5,067 posts, read 2,276,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeadoubleDD View Post
Hahaha. I'm a girl. I have none at all, so I'm really, really overcompensating.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:05 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeadoubleDD View Post
It is about power though, and again...you all know it. The danger and thrill of weapons is what compels people to them, and apparently a lot of people get off on that. Nobody is going to stop a tyrannical government from their shack in Indiana (like the other nut driving to LA to kill more gays)..and again, you all know that. If a bunch of 1st graders getting killed didn't make any of you guys gain some humanity and sense, of course a bunch of gays getting killed won't either.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:06 PM

29,547 posts, read 9,713,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
Yes, he damn well could have killed all 49 with a pump action. Every gun nut worth his (or her) salt knows that.

You're the one that said it was about high-capacity semi-autos, and I pointed out that it's not that simple. It's not that I don't care. We all care. But we also don't want to see stupid legislation pass when it won't work.

Even though I've shot the AR, I don't have one. I don't have any Red Dawn fantasies. So you can stop with the comments about "you want your toys". It's this type of generalization that heats up a discussion to the point of argument.
Well put, although I think we can all agree many of these notions and assumptions about what either side thinks is based on all too many comments in black-and-white that prove these notions out...

Not all gun-control enthusiasts are in need of more gun lesson, for example, though you can't visit a gun thread that isn't loaded with gratuitous gun detail "polishing" the likes of which I don't think even the most talkative women could exceed going on about fashion detail (another stereo type intended). Likewise, it is hard to imagine gun enthusiasts don't care about the innocent victims of gun violence, and I can certainly relate to the concern a gun owner's safe and innocent pleasures be "infringed" by laws that don't serve in any real manner that prevents gun violence.

If you ask me, the battle over the most incremental additional gun-control measures will continue as long as the next mass-murder with a gun is just around the corner. There is no avoiding that any more than the next mass-murder can be avoided. What I think we WILL see in significant fashion is a great many more "safe areas" that will be made safe with security check points and metal detector screening, like at this Florida club for example, like when you enter a concert arena or airport for example.

IOWs, if you want to make some money, invest in the companies that make that sort of equipment as well as the security-personnel staffing companies. That's where the real steps toward better gun control are already happening and will most certainly continue in very real terms, maybe even with measurable reduction of such incidents wherever those "safe zones" are established. Wouldn't even be surprised to see entire towns and/or cities imposing the likes in the larger public areas...

Old 06-15-2016, 01:07 PM

50,268 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
No, actually, the "there's not a damn think you can do about it" guy really doesn't care, as you can see.
To appease you? No

We already have so many laws layered upon other laws it's ridiculous. Does it bother me when innocent people get shot, yes. To the point I'd willingly disarm myself? No.

Which, bottom line, is the only way you could eliminate mass "shootings" which does absolutely squat for mass killings. Because a terrorist doesn't care.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:14 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,234,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
JOHN YANG: The NRA says it’s America’s most popular rifle, used legally and safely by millions of people. A lawyer for victims’ families says it’s the gold standard for mass murder of innocent civilians.

The AR-15 has been used in some of the nation’s worst mass shootings, at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, a movie theater in Aurora, Colorado, an Oregon community college, and now an Orlando gay club.

To learn more about the rifle, its popularity among gun enthusiasts and its place in American culture, we went to a Northern Virginia gun range to speak with former Deputy Assistant Defense Secretary Phillip Carter, himself a gun owner, who knows the AR-15 well from his service as an Army officer.

Why is this weapon so popular?

It

The 9 mm semiauto handgun has killed far more Americans than the AR15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies