Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:19 PM

21,619 posts, read 31,197,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Try to think about this logically.

Schools are 'gun free'.

School shooters know this and hence know there is no-one to stop them.
I doubt the first thing on an enraged student's mind is the fact that he knows no students/teachers will have guns. They know that after minutes they will be stopped anyway. It's all about making a statement, unfortunately.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:22 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I doubt the first thing on an enraged student's mind is the fact that he knows no students/teachers will have guns. They know that after minutes they will be stopped anyway. It's all about making a statement, unfortunately.
I disagree,they KNOW there is no-one there that can legally be armed.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:24 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
All it takes is one politician to gain support for abolishing personal gun ownership and it can go away. It's not as concrete as one may think.
I'm afraid you are seriously misinformed --

It would take amending the United States Constitution. It would take an act of Congress, then the amendment put before the states where 75% of the states would have to ratify any change.

That means the the Citizens of the United States would be involved.

And, inasmuch as a majority of the citizens support the 2nd Amendment, I'm afraid your view that all it would take is "ONE" politician is juvenile at best.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:26 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,416,361 times
Quote:
So now you want to let middle and high school students carry guns? You're joking, right?

And if you were talking about teachers, you'd be OK with your child's instructors having pistols in their desk drawers?? My gosh, I'm starting to get scared at some of your comments.
No guns should defiantly not be carried by students, but teachers and other school administration should be allowed to carry. The teacher would be able to prove that they were responsible with it though. Not letting them leave it in a desk, or where students may get it. And yes, I would be OK if my daughters teacher was armed, as long as they were trained.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I'm afraid you are seriously misinformed --

It would take amending the United States Constitution. It would take an act of Congress, then the amendment put before the states where 75% of the states would have to ratify any change.

That means the the Citizens of the United States would be involved.

And, inasmuch as a majority of the citizens support the 2nd Amendment, I'm afraid your view that all it would take is "ONE" politician is juvenile at best.
That's why I said "gain support." I think there are a large number of people out there who feel the way I do - which is why this is so controversial. I'm not quite sure that the majority of citizens mimic your beliefs. Maybe in your area of the country, but I do know that in my metro area, guns in households are not common.

I understand what it takes, and I'm not seriously misinformed. You guys make it sound impossible, when in reality, it is not.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:33 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
That's why I said "gain support." I think there are a large number of people out there who feel the way I do - which is why this is so controversial. I'm not quite sure that the majority of citizens mimic your beliefs. Maybe in your area of the country, but I do know that in my metro area, guns in households are not common.

I understand what it takes, and I'm not seriously misinformed. You guys make it sound impossible, when in reality, it is not.
Not according to the poll you are currently posting on....

Old 05-04-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
No guns should defiantly not be carried by students, but teachers and other school administration should be allowed to carry. The teacher would be able to prove that they were responsible with it though. Not letting them leave it in a desk, or where students may get it. And yes, I would be OK if my daughters teacher was armed, as long as they were trained.
Even if there are guns in a responsible and well-trained instructors care, there are wise guy students who WILL get their hands on it. I couldn't disagree more with you and I feel your opinion regarding guns in schools is seriously irresponsible. Before you come up with possible scenarios to fight school violence, I think you need to think about it with a little common sense. No offense, I just think your solutions to the current violence problems are out of touch.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:

I don't fear firearms. I respect them. I carry a firearm at all times. I carry a firearm concealed. As do MILLIONS of other Americans. And, you don't know how many households in your area actually have a firearm in the household. I would hazard a guess that it is far more than you know.

A firearm saved my wife and my child from death.

What you don't realize, or refuse to acknowledge is, that assuming you were to remove firearms from law abiding citizens, the firearms would remain in the hands of criminals. You would remove the ability of law abiding citizens to defend themselves.

You do not know nor understand what you are suggesting -

Old 05-04-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Not according to the poll you are currently posting on....
You can't seriously think that a city-data poll is scientific and represents Americans as a whole. Do you have any knowledge of research/survey methodologies?

Old 05-04-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
You can't seriously think that a city-data poll is scientific and represents Americans as a whole. Do you have any knowledge of research/survey methodologies?
I'm curious - have you ever fired a firearm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies