Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:48 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
as he should be, how does this show that we should not have guns?
Why HAVE guns, if using them is "illegal"?

Old 05-05-2008, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
Common sense is that it is OK to get angry, after all it is a human emotion.

Gun owners do not go Willy nilly shooting anyone as an action to being ticked off.

do you go stabbing someone with a knife if you have one when your pissed off?
The bullet is going to go right through a window or car door, where the knife will not. You are PROTECTED by a crazy with a knife by the body of your car, not so for the gun.

Even though they might SHOW on TV people taking cover behind car doors, they aren't particularly effective as shielding against bullets.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Try to think about this logically.

Schools are 'gun free'.

School shooters know this and hence know there is no-one to stop them.
You'd be wrong. Here in FLORIDA, schools have "school resource officers"...who are employed by the police department, and who must carry a gun...right?

Old 05-05-2008, 01:57 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
The bullet is going to go right through a window or car door, where the knife will not. You are PROTECTED by a crazy with a knife by the body of your car, not so for the gun.

Even though they might SHOW on TV people taking cover behind car doors, they aren't particularly effective as shielding against bullets.
Good point. People just don't understand. They compare guns to knives, fists and pencils. Yes, pencils! That shows the desperation (or ignorance maybe) of some people on this thread.

They always have the same argument: "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." puhleeeze.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:37 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,067,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Good point. People just don't understand. They compare guns to knives, fists and pencils. Yes, pencils! That shows the desperation (or ignorance maybe) of some people on this thread.

They always have the same argument: "Guns don't kill people, people kill people." puhleeeze.
The other thing you'll notice is that the gun nuts will not engage on the discussion of gun suicide and the apparent correlation between lax gun laws and high suicide rates. The number of lost lives goes even higher when you include others who end up dying in murder-suicide situations. Many more people die from misuse of legal guns than from illegal use of guns.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:26 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,873,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You'd be wrong. Here in FLORIDA, schools have "school resource officers"...who are employed by the police department, and who must carry a gun...right?
So did Columbine High School I believe...

We have the same here but of course it is simply to make people FEEL better.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:29 AM

People kill themselves,you cannot really stop it from happening and to be honest it really isn't your business to.

And to pretend that gun laws were enacted to curb suicides by firearms is a lie in itself.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:31 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times
Originally Posted by oz in SC
Quote:
We have the same here but of course it is simply to make people FEEL better.
I agree.
It is easier to comfort people emotionally than solve a problem rationally; in Europe we call this propaganda.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:31 AM

I also find it interesting that the poll here is unreliable and unscientific yet the poster stating so didn't vote and had never viewed the results...

And to put forward that this forum is conservative is a little strange considering he vast number of threads about the evil neo-cons destroying the world...

Old 05-05-2008, 07:33 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,299 times
Default This pretty much sums it up for me.

Why I Carry A Gun

I don't carry a gun to kill people.
I carry a gun to keep from being killed.
I don't carry a gun to scare people.
I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.
I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.
I don't carry a gun because I'm evil.
I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.
I don't carry a gun because I hate the government
I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.
I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.
I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.
I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.
I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love
I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.
I don't carry a gun because I love it.
I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police Protection' is an oxymoron,citizens must protect themselves.
Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens then call someone in to clean up the mess.
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take an ass kickin'.

Steinbeck issued a warning that all should remember:
"Don't pick a fight with an old man.He is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

Last edited by jeepejeep; 05-05-2008 at 07:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies