Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 09:58 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Have you ever LIVED in Hartford, Connecticut?

I have... and i MUST say... RICHEST US state, poorest town. As much as 40% of youngsters live in poverty...

Perhaps someone from insurance makes 1M $ a year... not far away from him, people are food insecure.

Kids have a "great" game... It's called "dance and dodge bullets"

This isn't "a good system".

If there was a check if someone was a lunatic, before giving him a bazooka as "basic right", there would be less problems.
Nope I live in Norwalk.
How can you possibly blame anyone else for people being poor here? Cant these kids parents get jobs? If they cant why not? People that cant speak the language do & they support themselves.
If their kids are dodging bullets thats because their parents tolerate that in their neighborhood.

I dont know what your refering to about a bazooka but to buy any gun you need to pass a backround check. For a bazooka I imagine it might be harder.

The crime problem is a social one. As long as people like yourself dont point your finger straight at the perpetrator then people will keep blaming the things that dont matter. Isn't it better if our young people dont want to kill each other?

Old 03-10-2008, 10:03 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,416,920 times
Quote:
And I just call you ignorant (which actively makes you impotent).
In the case of soft drugs we rather focus on harm prevention (a method that works) instead of a total ban on drugs which does not work (and in the case of drugs never will work). In Holland discussing soft drugs is rather a dull issue (not a forbidden fruit anymore), unlike in the States.
In the case of firearms, we rather ban all guns (except for the police and military) instead of allowing everyone to use 1.

So you feel you have a right to get high but not protect yourself. I can see an oppresive nation allowing that. Keep the people burnt & they wont care that they dont matter.

But, if a ban on drugs cant, in your admission, work than how can banning guns?
Are there NO homicides or crimes with a gun in Holland? Because if theres even one that a person could have stopped by being armed then he was sacrificed so you could feel good. Personally I couldn't abide that in myself. To deny someone effective defense so I could feel fuzzy.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:10 AM

418 posts, read 564,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
Nope I live in Norwalk.
How can you possibly blame anyone else for people being poor here? Cant these kids parents get jobs? If they cant why not? People that cant speak the language do & they support themselves.
If their kids are dodging bullets thats because their parents tolerate that in their neighborhood.

I dont know what your refering to about a bazooka but to buy any gun you need to pass a backround check. For a bazooka I imagine it might be harder.

The crime problem is a social one. As long as people like yourself dont point your finger straight at the perpetrator then people will keep blaming the things that dont matter. Isn't it better if our young people dont want to kill each other?
Yes, it WOULD truly be better if young people didn't want to kill each other at all... but how to make it happen in US?

I agree with you on the social one... it is a problem.

Concerning background check, WHY didn't that EVER stop anyone from
randomly killing people?

Every nut can get a gun here... do they pass a psycho-test? Are they evaluated, maybe they are possibly dangerous?

If one nutjob's "freedom" to own a gun endangers everyone else, then his freedom is a problem.

The same thing with smoking... If one smokes, and his "freedom" is a poison to me, then this is a problem.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:17 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiksi View Post
If one nutjob's "freedom" to own a gun endangers everyone else, then his freedom is a problem.

The same thing with smoking... If one smokes, and his "freedom" is a poison to me, then this is a problem.
Do you favor the government banning private ownership of firearms?

Do you favor the government banning smoking?

Old 03-10-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Do you favor the government banning private ownership of firearms?

Do you favor the government banning smoking?
1. As far as i am concerned, yes. Maybe it doesn't HAVE to be banned, but
conditions to obtain one should be strict. Like psycho test etc.

2. Absolutely. Partial ban already exists... depending on where you are

Old 03-10-2008, 10:36 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
1. As far as i am concerned, yes. Maybe it doesn't HAVE to be banned, but
conditions to obtain one should be strict. Like psycho test etc.

2. Absolutely. Partial ban already exists... depending on where you are
Typical social engineering... Whats next? 1 baby limit per family, You have to live a block from your job. No political radio commentary, Book burning? When it will it stop?

Old 03-10-2008, 10:52 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Typical social engineering... Whats next? 1 baby limit per family, You have to live a block from your job. No political radio commentary, Book burning? When it will it stop?
Hey, he's European. It's in his nature to be as self-righteous and authoritarian as possible while looking down on the US.

Old 03-10-2008, 10:53 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,299 times
+1 Tin Knocker! I believe with all my heart that certain Europeans are so ingrained with jealousy and hatred of the US because we as "upstarts" in the world are head and shoulders above Europe in so many ways. THEY should be looking to emulate US, not the other way around! We've done and continue to do so much to help out the rest of the world and get no thanks at all and even have to put up with all the America bashing. Enough!

Now lets try to stay on topic about guns! This is a favorite tactic when someone knows nothing about a subject and has been proven ignorant of it. They try to change the subject.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Hey, he's European. It's in his nature to be as self-righteous and authoritarian as possible while looking down on the US.
Hey, doesn't this "lovely" government LOCK UP children for smoking pot?

Isn't that personal freedom?

In the land of the free, MORE are locked up than in ANY dictatorship country.

There are bans on smoking around in US, too... but i support them.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:48 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Hey, doesn't this "lovely" government LOCK UP children for smoking pot?
No.........................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies