Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2016, 09:37 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,006,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I totally understand that and like I said, I'm not sorry he's dead.

But what about the next time it's used? What are the criteria for using it? Does this mean that police are authorized to kill people they are sure are guilty of a capital offense? If so, that's a huge departure from 200+ years of jurisprudence. Generally even people who are caught red-handed are entitled to due process in a court of law.
They are absolutely entitled to due process, PROVIDED they surrender to law enforcement. When they continue their assault even after being cornered with no way out, many would agree they are waiving that right. How long should he be given, and hour, a day, a week? Should we provide him meals and water while he continues to attempt to pick off more cops?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 09:44 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
MSNBC Live guest Haley Edwards says the fitting of the robot to blow apart the scumbag in Dallas was mean.
She claims the robot wasn't designed for such violence, and should only be used for observation and other pleasant tasks.
Further, this method of ending the situation prevented the perp from being subdued and lawyering up!
Technology knows no bounds and am glad someone on the force had the enginuity to fab-up such an "accessory".
Oh, the humanity!
So the views of Haley Edwards -- whoever that is -- constitute the views of "the left" ?

Old 07-11-2016, 09:52 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
They are absolutely entitled to due process, PROVIDED they surrender to law enforcement. When they continue their assault even after being cornered with no way out, many would agree they are waiving that right. How long should he be given, and hour, a day, a week? Should we provide him meals and water while he continues to attempt to pick off more cops?
I guess those are my questions. How long does someone get? Who decides? What if someone was holed up and vehemently denied being the shooter but also wouldn't come out?

To me, this has shades of the attack on the Branch Davidian compound in Waco. Those people were accused of multiple crimes and wouldn't come out, so federal authorities blew them up. Lots of people on the right and left were appalled. I get that there are plenty of differences but both were still terminal uses of force on civilians.

The premise of this thread is that the left is shocked by the use of the robot bomb. I'm just wondering if anyone on the right also was shocked by it.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:53 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Dylan Roof killed 9 innocent people and was taken to McDonald's by the arresting officers before being booked. This guy killed 5 people and a very expensive piece of tactical equipment was sacrificed to execute him. The situation in Dallas was very much in flux. At least three other men were thought to be the killer or killers. What happened to them?

When that rogue cop Dorner (sp) went on a shooting rampage last year (?) no effort was made to capture him alive. Two women were nearly killed because they were driving a car that resembled his, and a $2 M home was burned to the ground because he was believed to be inside. Cop Lives Matter. We get it.

It's easy to throw people like the Dallas shooter under the bus and give kudos to the police for inventiveness. As long as the practice of extra judicial execution remains confined to black men under situations of reasonable conclusion I doubt we will see any outcry except by the most forward looking progressives. Let's hope the rest of you never have to get concerned.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:57 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Dylan Roof killed 9 innocent people and was taken to McDonald's by the arresting officers before being booked. This guy killed 5 people and a very expensive piece of tactical equipment was sacrificed to execute him. The situation in Dallas was very much in flux. At least three other men were thought to be the killer or killers. What happened to them?

When that rogue cop Dorner (sp) went on a shooting rampage last year (?) no effort was made to capture him alive. Two women were nearly killed because they were driving a car that resembled his, and a $2 M home was burned to the ground because he was believed to be inside. Cop Lives Matter. We get it.

It's easy to throw people like the Dallas shooter under the bus and give kudos to the police for inventiveness. As long as the practice of extra judicial execution remains confined to black men under situations of reasonable conclusion I doubt we will see any outcry except by the most forward looking progressives. Let's hope the rest of you never have to get concerned.
For every example you give (for instance, the idiot Dylan Roof), we could give examples of "suicide by cop" in every skin tone.

The BLACK Dallas chief of police is giving a live news conference right now. He just addressed the issue of using the robot. He said, "We knew he had killed several people and shot many more. He was asking how many he got. He was saying he intended to kill as many more people as he could. I personally have no regrets about using whatever means necessary to neutralize that threat."

Old 07-11-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I guess those are my questions. How long does someone get? Who decides? What if someone was holed up and vehemently denied being the shooter but also wouldn't come out?
As I had stated earlier, maybe even this thread, the person in charge of the scene makes that decision.

If they weren't in fact a shooter, it's very likely a negotiator could get them to come out. If they aren't a shooter they wouldn't be firing on officers or spouting hate as this guy was.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
As I had stated earlier, maybe even this thread, the person in charge of the scene makes that decision.

If they weren't in fact a shooter, it's very likely a negotiator could get them to come out. If they aren't a shooter they wouldn't be firing on officers or spouting hate as this guy was.
Dave, I appreciate all your thoughtful responses and comments and I think you get that I'm not really arguing about this particular incident.

My questions to those who identify themselves as being on the right, and having a general distrust or dislike of government are: Does the fact that police departments (government entities) can use a deadly weapon when a person is not able to immediately cause them harm, without any oversight by any other governmental body, make you at all uncomfortable? Can you imagine a scenario where you would disagree with that kind of use of force?

Did this incident have anything in common with the Waco standoff? Ruby Ridge?

Old 07-11-2016, 10:07 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,684,417 times
I think when they caught up with Dillon Ruth they took him out for a hamburger. Maybe they should get another robot to deliver fast food to some mass murderers.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Dave, I appreciate all your thoughtful responses and comments and I think you get that I'm not really arguing about this particular incident.

My questions to those who identify themselves as being on the right, and having a general distrust or dislike of government are: Does the fact that police departments (government entities) can use a deadly weapon when a person is not able to immediately cause them harm, without any oversight by any other governmental body, make you at all uncomfortable?
The problem is you keep changing the specifics of your question as the discussion progresses (or I have been misunderstanding your question). As you stated it here, that they COULD do it doesn't bother me, any one of us could do it. But using deadly force against a person that isn't an immediate threat? I doubt there are many that wouldn't have a problem with that.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
The problem is you keep changing the specifics of your question as the discussion progresses (or I have been misunderstanding your question). As you stated it here, that they COULD do it doesn't bother me, any one of us could do it. But using deadly force against a person that isn't an immediate threat? I doubt there are many that wouldn't have a problem with that.
Maybe I am changing the specifics, but I don't mean to. I just know that my first thought on hearing about the robot bomb was "Damn. That's scary." The thought of police being able to send in a bomb to kill someone accused of a crime seems like a huge change in police procedure and protocol and to me and raises due process concerns. Again, I guess I get it under the circumstances because this guy deserved to die for what he did. But I'm surprised that some of the Libertarian-leaning posters who identify themselves as conservatives have not had concerns about the bomb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies