Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2016, 08:09 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times

Advertisements

Why bother with due process when you can have the cops obliterate the suspect with a non-thinking high priced drone (that hopefully doesn't kill someone innocent as we have seen with Obama's).

But yeah cop safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 09:12 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
The left? Really? I haven't heard a peep out of anyone regarding using the robot. I heard about it, said to myself "ok" & carried on with my life. By all means, overdramatize with the queen hysterics & claim because one person said it that an entire group of people believe the same thing. By the way, do we have a link of this person calling it "mean"?

Old 07-11-2016, 09:20 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
It seems like this issue should resonate with people on the right as well as the left. Or at least people who are concerned about government overreaching.

Yes, the shooter committed a massacre and deserved punishment. I (a lefty leftist) am not sorry he's dead. But doesn't the use of a robot bomb against a person accused of a crime, holed up in a garage, surrounded by police, make you just a little uncomfortable? The officers on the scene acted as judge, jury and executioner, presumably destroying evidence at the same time they killed the guy. If you've ever been worried about the Government exercising too much force over the population, it seems like the use of a bomb-toting robot would give you pause.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:24 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
I've long been in favor of the "execution gun". Caught red handed, no question of guilt, horrific crime. Do not pass go, do not live on the taxpayer's dime for the rest of your life. The end.

"Execution Robot" works too......

Old 07-11-2016, 09:24 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
It seems like this issue should resonate with people on the right as well as the left. Or at least people who are concerned about government overreaching.

Yes, the shooter committed a massacre and deserved punishment. I (a lefty leftist) am not sorry he's dead. But doesn't the use of a robot bomb against a person accused of a crime, holed up in a garage, surrounded by police, make you just a little uncomfortable?
If he hadn't killed 4 officers on the street and another during the negotiation while he was "holed up in a garage, surrounded by police" it would concern me. With the facts as we currently know them I'm not bothered in the least bit.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
How soon before the wrong person is blown up or an innocent bystander. The perp was surrounded and could have easily been waited out.

Not a leftist.
The terrorist was well-trained in fighting his way out of a situation. Not worth the risk to MORE cops.

I live in the DFW area, and knew as soon as they had the guy surrounded, he wouldn't make it out alive. Texas justice was served.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:27 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,511 times
It is most probably illegal. There was no due process. The supreme court in response to the KKK act pretty much nullified actions such as this without a judges order. This is where we get due process as you know it today from.
The Army was going around doing just this and blowing people up without approval of a Judge. A lot of military and law enforcement people went to jail over this in those days.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
If he hadn't killed 4 officers on the street and another during the negotiation while he was "holed up in a garage, surrounded by police" it would concern me. With the facts as we currently know them I'm not bothered in the least bit.
I totally understand that and like I said, I'm not sorry he's dead.

But what about the next time it's used? What are the criteria for using it? Does this mean that police are authorized to kill people they are sure are guilty of a capital offense? If so, that's a huge departure from 200+ years of jurisprudence. Generally even people who are caught red-handed are entitled to due process in a court of law. And generally, police can only use deadly force when they are threatened with deadly force. I know that this guy would have tried to kill them if they'd gotten close, but apparently he was unable to kill them under the circumstances at the time.

Again, if you've ever been worried about the Government being too powerful, it seems like this would give you pause.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post

Yes, the shooter committed a massacre and deserved punishment. I (a lefty leftist) am not sorry he's dead. But doesn't the use of a robot bomb against a person accused of a crime, holed up in a garage, surrounded by police, make you just a little uncomfortable? The officers on the scene acted as judge, jury and executioner, presumably destroying evidence at the same time they killed the guy. If you've ever been worried about the Government exercising too much force over the population, it seems like the use of a bomb-toting robot would give you pause.
So the lefty leftists are OK with dismantling the 2nd Amendment, and denying lawful citizens their rights. But they draw the line at due process for an admitted terrorist?

Old 07-11-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So the lefty leftists are OK with dismantling the 2nd Amendment, and denying lawful citizens their rights. But they draw the line at due process for an admitted terrorist?
You know, I'm trying to have a discussion about this with people who can think outside of party lines and understand that the world is not black and white. Unless you can do that, please don't respond to my posts. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies