Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2016, 12:55 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
It is important to discuss the need for them to be educated, carefully selected, well-trained, controlled in their use of force, honest in their actions, courteous and respectful in their demeanor, compassionate, and closely in touch with the communities they serve.

Serving as a police officer also requires courage – both physical and moral. In many instances, the latter trait is more difficult than the former.

I've seen with my own eyes how courageous these police officers are. I am not saying my experience is yours, but you really need to be fair and balanced. this whole "watch their back" thing is scary to say the least.

Unfortunately, the way police profile black individuals, blacks are now profiling those wearing a badge, in the same manner of extremeness.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:01 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Unfortunately, the way police profile black individuals, blacks are now profiling those wearing a badge, in the same manner of extremeness.
I know I am going to be attacked because of my comment and i perhaps will be voted as most hateful poster of the day.

But, you need to be fair and balanced about it.

Black Cops Aren’t Better For Black Communities Just Because They Have The Same Skin Color

Black Cops Aren't Better For Black Communities Just Because They Have The Same Skin Color

And while African-American officers may be more likely to see a black person as an individual and not assume he or she is a violent criminal, they may be less likely to acknowledge that they, too, may act upon the implicit racial biases present in policing more broadly. When police culture at large is grounded in such biases, even black officers often come to view black citizens as inherently criminal.

why is that? It is not about white cops vs black people it is not about white cops vs everybody else

There might be differences between cop culture and civilian culture. It is not just about RACE and skin color.

gee. How many police officers wake up in the morning and just tell themselves, "Today, I am going out to kill some minorities for fun." It doesn't make any sense at all.

I have a police officer friend carlos who is a Hispanic guy. I don't want him to go to the poor asian neighborhood becasue those asian gangs are so scary. He sure profiles, why shouldn't he?

If you want to talk about racial discrimination, let's talk about that. If you want to talk about police brutality, well, let's have an open and honest discussion about it.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:02 PM

6,009 posts, read 6,670,560 times
Here's the real question.

HOW do we change the future so as not to continue the bloodshed we see going on right now? What is the solution?

Old 07-18-2016, 01:06 PM

781 posts, read 737,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Again, this thread is about ideas and solutions. Please keep it moving if you have neither to offer.
Well then you should "keep it moving", whatever the hell that means; because you definitely have neither.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:14 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
I agree to an extent. The issue of the black American image in the media is very complex. Many actors and artists are very aware of their image and its impact on the perception of black Americans in the collective.

But I will also say that artistic expression should not be stifled due to the inability for some Americans to separate entertainment from reality. For example, numerous rap and hip hop artists are also college educated. And a LOT of them grew up in middle class neighborhoods and 2 parent homes that are nothing like the world that they rap about.

Rappers & College: 14 Hip-Hop Heavyweights Who Attended University

There's what should be and there's reality.

Picture this scenario:

It's 10:00 pm, you hear a knock on your door.

You peer out drapes to see who might be knocking at this time of night and see a young black male, whom you don't know from Adam, dressed like a rapper/gang banger.

Is he an innocent neighbor who happens to dress like a rapper, who's simply looking for his lost pet or family member?

Or is he an armed criminal looking to do you harm?

How do you know the difference until you open the door?

That's what police have to deal with every time they interact with the public.

Remember, the vast majority of cops just want to do their jobs and make it home alive every night.

Cops don't know you from Adam either, and they work in an occupation that demands that they be on guard and suspicious 100% of the time in order to protect themselves when they open the door.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:20 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
That is a false perception.

The vast majority of black Americans go to work everyday, pay their taxes, water their lawns, walk their dogs, do homework with their children, go grocery shopping, attend church on Sunday, etc.

Take it up with the FBI.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...ables/table-43

Old 07-18-2016, 01:21 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,462,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
This parallel exemplifies the twisted thinking specific to the AA community.
1) Police and LE aren't a rival gang. They aren't a bunch of individuals seeking dominance over a territory for dealing drugs.
2) the black shooters (who killed the officers) are deranged individuals. Very sick people. If I could, I would ask them how shooting these cops helped the black community. How did it further their cause. How killing that black cop (who is also a new father) marked a "win" for black people in America.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:23 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,274,609 times
Quote:
Why should I be stopped when I have done nothing wrong? I am always respectful to law enforcement but why should I be stopped because I am a black woman in an affluent area? Am I not allowed to live wherever I wish in this country?

most law breakers swear they have done nothing wrong, from the smallest thing of traffic violations to bigger offenses.

My Mother is the perfect example. She is 72 years old and she has bad habits when she drives and when she gets stop for a traffic violation and I know its her fault because I have been riding next to her, she argues with the police and gets upset with the police and brings the race card (my Mom is Latina) and I argue with her that its her fault but she will never admit it.......keep in mind, my mother is an old lady and she will never make threats to the police, she will just argue to death that she never did anything wrong.

You assume that if the police stops you its because you are a black woman, your prejudice of the police you already made up your mind that is the only reason and there couldn't be any legit reason. Police make routine stop because your car could fit a profile of crimes committed in the area or you driving funny, of course they won't tell you that, its call good police work.

Cops also runs your plates and if something pops up from warrants to lack of insurance, they can stop you. That's also good police work.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:29 PM

25,581 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Again, this thread is about ideas and solutions. Please keep it moving if you have neither to offer.
There is not one single "Black Leader" who has called upon Black people to stop arguing and fighting with the police. Not one. And THAT is the solution.

Who CARES if Black people are "treated differently"? And how do you know that White people ARE treated differently?

The recent cases of Cop on Black shooting did not involve a single case where the Black man was shot while obeying orders. "Don't reach for it"...."Show me your hands"....."Freeze"... Is all this so hard that Black people simply cannot follow instructions? It seems to be.

Man with a gun and a badge tells me to do something, I'm going to do it. If I think he's picking on me I can take that issue up later.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:32 PM

52,283 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
most law breakers swear they have done nothing wrong, from the smallest thing of traffic stops to bigger offenses.

My Mother is the perfect example. She is 72 years old and she has bad habits when she drives and when she gets stop for a traffic violation and I know its her fault because I have been riding next to her, she argues with the police and gets upset with the police and brings the race card (my Mom is Latina) and I argue with her that its her fault but she will never admit it.......keep in mind, my mother is an old lady and she will never make threats to the police, she will just argue to death that she never did anything wrong.

You assume that police stop you because you are a black woman. Police make routine stop because your car could fit a profile of crimes committed in the area or you driving funny, of course they won't tell you that, its call good police work.

Cops also runs your plates and if something pops up from warrants to lack of insurance, they can stop you. That's also good police work.
I was about 21 or so and was driving along minding my own business. I got pulled over by the police. The next thing I knew they searched my VW Bug even went so far as to rip out the backseat, there was a police helicopter over head.

They made my walk backwards with guns drawn on me, made me lay face down in the street and handcuffed me. This all happened in a span of about 3 minutes.

Turns out I matched the description of a guy that had just knocked over a 7-11.

I'm a white guy with long hair and a goatee, I probably look somewhat like a criminal, if we are going to loosely stereotype here.

Long story short, yeah, sometimes you get pulled over doing "absolutely nothing" it's just the way life goes sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies