Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we legalize it by amending the constitution?
yes 32 41.56%
no 45 58.44%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 05:48 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
sorry about your asthma, i don't have asthma but i just don't want to breathe smoke laced with chemicals if i can help it...i don't know, many might think i'm silly.
You mean like pollution from cars or coal fired plants? If it is legal you won't be obligated to smoke it you know. The same way that legalizing gay marriage doesn't force you into a homosexual union.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 05:48 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContrarianEcon View Post
Yes but...

Why not start the fight?
It has been started and won in some places. See Colorado.

[]

Old 08-05-2016, 05:50 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
sorry about your asthma, i don't have asthma but i just don't want to breathe smoke laced with chemicals if i can help it...i don't know, many might think i'm silly.
Where would that occur? Smoking laws have become very strict over the last 5-10 years.

Old 08-05-2016, 05:52 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Should we start the push to make it legal at the constitution level?

It is being fought as a states rights issue, doing that legally should be to amend the constitution.

Let us put it to you this way.

There is no place in the constitution that authorizes the federal government to have a say one way or the other. Yet they took it upon themselves to have a say.

Like alcohol, it took an Amendment for government to control and have a say. It took an amendment to make it legal with government regulating it.

At this point pot and all other drugs are just like Alcohol, before an amendment they could control it.
What the federal government does with tobacco and drugs is unconstitutional, with no authority to be involved.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:09 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:
The war on drugs. It isn't going away and it isn't about keeping people from using. It is about taking away our rights.

If we want to keep our rights we need to use them. Using them means amending the constitution to make it legal.
The war on drugs is lost, and most know it. The lawmakers that hold on to it will eventually get voted out.

As much as I am against the War on Drugs (the War on People), using an amendment to force states to make drugs legal would do more harm than good. Some people in some states just aren't ready for it, and as vocal as those folks already are, being forced into something that goes against every fiber in their being would just cause them to be even more vocal, and work even harder towards making sure the war on drugs continues.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:15 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,907 times
That would be like an Amendment to "legalize" eating green beans. That drugs are "illegal" is testament to the fact that we live in a barbaric society where one group of idiots imposes their personal will upon everyone else when they have control of government aggression.

Those who write "laws" which initiate force upon the individual should be lit on fire and hung from the nearest lightpost...we do not need thugs and tyrants in the gene pool.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:34 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Look at alcohol. It was illegal on the Federal level. It was then made legal on the Federal level but left up to the states to make it illegal if they wanted to. Why not do that with weed?
It required a constitutional amendment to relegalize alcohol because alcohol was prohibited by a constitutional amendment.

Putting this kind of thing - prohibition and legalization of specific substances - in the constitution is a mistake.

The right way to legalize marijuana is already occurring.

The states are acting as democracy's laboratory, and the feds are agreeing to step back as long as certain conditions are met. A president is commuting overly harsh federal sentences, and mayors, police chiefs, and governors are moving personal marijuana use to the bottom of their law enforcement priority lists. At the same time, a serious move is (finally!) afoot to remove marijuana from Schedule I, where it never belonged in the first place.

I think the tipping point is in sight. Especially if Trump goes down to defeat and takes a lot of Republicans with him.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:38 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I think the tipping point is in sight. Especially if Trump goes down to defeat and takes a lot of Republicans with him.
Trump has already stated on record that he thinks it should be left up to the states.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:02 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
IMO, federal drug laws are unconstitutional to start with.

Old 08-05-2016, 10:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
It required a constitutional amendment to relegalize alcohol because alcohol was prohibited by a constitutional amendment.

Putting this kind of thing - prohibition and legalization of specific substances - in the constitution is a mistake.

The right way to legalize marijuana is already occurring.

The states are acting as democracy's laboratory, and the feds are agreeing to step back as long as certain conditions are met. A president is commuting overly harsh federal sentences, and mayors, police chiefs, and governors are moving personal marijuana use to the bottom of their law enforcement priority lists. At the same time, a serious move is (finally!) afoot to remove marijuana from Schedule I, where it never belonged in the first place.

The constitution is about the people maintaining their liberties.... Not to take them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies