Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 02:57 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
Late-term abortion is after 16 weeks, depending on individual state restrictions. A 16 week old fetus can't survive outside the womb.
One can make up whatever terms they like and narrow them down to fit whatever argument they like I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 03:30 PM

2,572 posts, read 1,644,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
One can make up whatever terms they like and narrow them down to fit whatever argument they like I suppose.
Where did I make up terms and narrow them down? I merely replied to your statement that late-term means the fetus is viable. Late term starts at 16 weeks and a 16 week old fetus is not viable, period. If a woman who is 16 weeks pregnant goes into early labor, there is nothing doctors can do to save the fetus. Contrary to pro-lifer claims on various websites, the minimum for successful assisted survival outside the womb is 22 weeks, and of those very few survive, even with major medical intervention.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:36 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
An elective abortion at 39 1/2 weeks is impossible. Late term abortions are done via induced labor which produces a stillbirth because the fetus is not yet viable. To induce labor in a woman who is 39 1/2 weeks along would result in a live birth.
So, you're claiming it is not possible for a doctor to terminate the life of a fetus and then induce?

Old 08-11-2016, 03:41 PM

1,050 posts, read 506,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Rubio is pro-life without exception. His stance is consistent. I don't see what the issue is.
Inflexibility and refusal to embrace nuances is not always a virtue.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kode View Post
Inflexibility and refusal to embrace nuances is not always a virtue.
Keep in mind that Rubio wants the morning after pill sold OTC.

Just thought I'd throw that out there since I don't believe it's been mentioned.

http://www.ibtimes.com/marco-rubio-c...ortion-2120795

Old 08-11-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, you're claiming it is not possible for a doctor to terminate the life of a fetus and then induce?
Where did I write that? Of course it is possible. But if you are suggesting doctors routinely perform elective third trimester abortions and kill 39.5 week old fetuses before inducing labor, post some unbiased, reliable links please.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Where did I write that? Of course it is possible. But if you are suggesting doctors routinely perform elective third trimester abortions and kill 39.5 week old fetuses before inducing labor, post some unbiased, reliable links please.
Actually, I never suggested that. I just want to no if you believe that should be illegal, and if so, why?

This is the basis of understanding why many people feel the way they do.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Actually, I never suggested that. I just want to no if you believe that should be illegal, and if so, why?

This is the basis of understanding why many people feel the way they do.
If the fetus is viable outside the womb, starting at the age of ensured survival without medical intervention, I personally would not have an abortion, I would opt for adoption. Unless continued pregnancy would kill me, or unless the fetus was damaged and unlikely to live a normal, independent life. I, however, draw the line at trying to force my personal beliefs onto other women who might feel differently. Not my body, not my place to decide what someone can and cannot do with it.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:11 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Where did I make up terms and narrow them down? I merely replied to your statement that late-term means the fetus is viable. Late term starts at 16 weeks and a 16 week old fetus is not viable, period. If a woman who is 16 weeks pregnant goes into early labor, there is nothing doctors can do to save the fetus. Contrary to pro-lifer claims on various websites, the minimum for successful assisted survival outside the womb is 22 weeks, and of those very few survive, even with major medical intervention.
late-term abortion Post-viability abortion Medical ethics Any abortion performed after the fetus would be viable if delivered to a nonspecialized health center.

Late term abortion | definition of Late term abortion by Medical dictionary

Old 08-11-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
If the fetus is viable outside the womb, starting at the age of ensured survival without medical intervention, I personally would not have an abortion, I would opt for adoption. Unless continued pregnancy would kill me, or unless the fetus was damaged and unlikely to live a normal, independent life. I, however, draw the line at trying to force my personal beliefs onto other women who might feel differently. Not my body, not my place to decide what someone can and cannot do with it.
So, is that a no? You wouldn't want elective abortions in the 39th week to be against the law?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies