Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 11:05 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Social contract.

Social contract.
Statist logic: sliding out of a vagina is consent to a contract

That's why I avoid water slides. God only knows what the statists will say I consented to after the ride is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 11:06 AM

2,962 posts, read 5,001,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compression View Post
Nope. Quick anecdote.

Personal observation. While waiting one early Sunday morning for the local courthouse to open, (for the weekend judge to arrive) standing on line with others waiting outside. It became quite the topic how this homeless guy was walking around, taking catnaps where ever. Accepting handouts. A few of the sheriffs deputies passing by called him by name, gave a wave, and handed him some occasional leftover donuts, etc. After a while, he went across the street where there was a line of newsboxes lined up against the county lockup wall. He gingerly moved several of them out a few feet from the wall, and lay down behind them and went to sleep. He was still there, asleep, an hour and a half later when I left. No one bothered him.

How do you analyze that? He has nothing, The government (sherriff, in front of the courthouse) wont bother. They cannot extract any monies from him, it is a net loss for them to pay any more attention to him than they absolutely have to. Lock him up? Now they are housing him, providing medical care, feeding him, with NO hope of recompense, whatsoever.

Now, if he owns real estate, or an automobile, or has a bank account, or jewelry, they find he has a safe deposit box someplace, their interest is immediately, and unshakably piqued. Because the (bullies) government knows how, and has all the mechanisms in place to siphon off any wealth that a "citizen" may have. Either directly, or by attrition.

Indeed, we need laws, and the means by which to enforce them. Otherwise, there would be no "order".
But you have to realize that the legal system is a business, like any other. It operates on a profit, the judges, the attorneys, and all of the ancilliary apparatus that services them, needs money to move.

The same is applicable to any of us. If we are running a small business, and someone that we KNOW has no way of compensating us, in one way or another, we don't tend to give them the time of day, right?

CN
By your own admission that's anecdotal evidence. You're talking about one homeless man but speaking for the homeless in general. There are many places where they are not welcome and are ridden over roughshod. If you feel that he's lucky in his circumstance, by all means join him... How do you reconcile those of privilege who are given a pass in many situations because of their societal standing? Are you speaking to those of moderate means who have enough to be comfortable, but not enough to be considered aristocracy?

Old 08-09-2016, 11:50 AM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Statist logic: sliding out of a vagina is consent to a contract
As long as you can't lay claim to being hatched as an 18-year old citizen with the panoply of knowledge and skills it takes to survive, you owe. Family, tribe, society at large, whatever - you've been invested in. And if that grinds your gears, too bad - we can't go back in time and leave you in the wilderness.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:02 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Well said.

So if a state outlaws abortion women can just leave that state?

The fact is on the abortion issue when liberals state a woman has a right to choose they are saying they wish to limit the power of government.

We all wish to limit the power of government in some ways.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:06 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,230,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
What happens when you or I, tells Government NO.

Being bullied is no fun at all for anyone.
Some are scared to fight back against bullies that are much bigger than they are.
Some others don't give it a second thought, because they have been bullied their entire lives.
True story. When I was in the Navy stationed at the now closed Alameda NAS on the Carl Vinson, I had bought a 66 Mustang and fixed it up and tagged it in California. Big mistake. CA then stated that I was now a resident of CA and I needed to pay state taxes. I said no I am a legal resident of VA and I owe CA nothing. They started threatening me with jail time and garnishment of wages. I had gone to the JAG office and they said legally CA could do nothing and they would block any attempt of wage garnishment. So each notice I received in the mail I returned unopened with a big no across the envelope. Finally they stated they were going to issue an arrest warrant. By that time I was deployed to the Persian Gulf. So I said come get me.

They never did

though I do wonder on occaision if that warrant is out there.

So I sort of won against state government.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:08 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
What about the non-aggression principle? Where can I find that?
No idea. Perhaps it's never been tried. Perhaps it's been tried and failed.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
As long as you can't lay claim to being hatched as an 18-year old citizen with the panoply of knowledge and skills it takes to survive, you owe. Family, tribe, society at large, whatever - you've been invested in. And if that grinds your gears, too bad - we can't go back in time and leave you in the wilderness.
I've been "invested in"? Hmm.

Too early to make the slavery connection?

Old 08-09-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
No idea. Perhaps it's never been tried. Perhaps it's been tried and failed.
Would you be willing to try it?

Old 08-09-2016, 12:10 PM

100 posts, read 41,175 times
Quote:
Isn't it humans natural right to be able to tell another human, or group of humans NO, without threats of intimidation and violence.

Isn't it a humans natural right to defend themselves from bullies, or be oppressed and enslaved by bondage to the bully?

Why can't you or I say No?
What happens when you tell your bill collector no?

Why is a government, that you choose to abide by any different?

Old 08-09-2016, 12:10 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
Quote:
What happens when you or I, tells Government NO.

Being bullied is no fun at all for anyone.
Some are scared to fight back against bullies that are much bigger than they are.
Some others don't give it a second thought, because they have been bullied their entire lives.
Rosa Parks said NO
MLK said NO
the Bundy's said NO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies