Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2016, 08:37 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,397,861 times

Advertisements

Saw one lady all bundled up in her burkini during a recent beach vacation in the Yucatan Peninsula. She looked completely out of place amongst the other females in traditional beachwear.

Frankly, I could give a hoot. If she wants to look like a tightly wound wet burrito at the beach, that's her business. As long as it ain't my woman dressed like that, I'm fine with it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 11:32 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
I was talking with a European woman (ties to Denmark, Germany and Switzerland) and we were discussing Muslim refugee immigrants and burkins. And we both felt very much anti-burkini AND anti-burkas... and it's because of the conservative Muslim's men's beliefs that only modest, chaste and moral women are ones that are covered up with a burka... which implies that Muslim men view us uncovered women showing skin as immoral and unchaste akin to prostitutes who could be acceptably sexually assaulted by any man. And as women, we object to having men in our neighborhoods and countries who would think that of us.

If we object to racism, then we should also be objecting to men who think so little of women and who would be stereotyping un-burka-ed women as women to be treated like worthless prostitutes. We don't need those misogynists in our country.

If Muslims feel the need to have their women all covered up with linens, then they should stay in their conservative Muslim majority countries. But if they want to live in a First World Country, then they need to adapt their beliefs and lifestyles to reflect current society values of their new home country.

Remember, these very traditionally minded Muslims are anti-gay/LGBT, highly offended by anyone rendering an image of their Mohammed and considering it an acceptable cause for a jihad, and they support family honor killings. And they also feel that anyone committing a blasphemous act is deserving of being stoned to death. They also think dogs are dirty animals.

Again, anyone who thinks like that should not be allowed to immigrate into the US or Europe. They need to stay in their home countries with their primitive medieval beliefs until they evolve to a higher plane of thought.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:40 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,284,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Saw one lady all bundled up in her burkini during a recent beach vacation in the Yucatan Peninsula. She looked completely out of place amongst the other females in traditional beachwear.

Frankly, I could give a hoot. If she wants to look like a tightly wound wet burrito at the beach, that's her business. As long as it ain't my woman dressed like that, I'm fine with it.

Let me tell you when you would give a hoot. That's when 50% of beach goers look like that. I am personally in favor of letting people wear what they want. But if that is the beach scene, I'll just pack up and go somewhere else. Incidentally, this is what happened to the inner cities.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:43 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I was talking with a European woman (ties to Denmark, Germany and Switzerland) and we were discussing Muslim refugee immigrants and burkins. And we both felt very much anti-burkini AND anti-burkas... and it's because of the conservative Muslim's men's beliefs that only modest, chaste and moral women are ones that are covered up with a burka... which implies that Muslim men view us uncovered women showing skin as immoral and unchaste akin to prostitutes who could be acceptably sexually assaulted by any man. And as women, we object to having men in our neighborhoods and countries who would think that of us.
I care less what people think of me. Seems you don't think much of them either?

Quote:
If we object to racism, then we should also be objecting to men who think so little of women and who would be stereotyping un-burka-ed women as women to be treated like worthless prostitutes. We don't need those misogynists in our country.

If Muslims feel the need to have their women all covered up with linens, then they should stay in their conservative Muslim majority countries. But if they want to live in a First World Country, then they need to adapt their beliefs and lifestyles to reflect current society values of their new home country.
The Amish never have.....they have bent a bit but still, they cover up. I don't see anyone arguing for them to accept our lifestyle or move out.

Quote:
Remember, these very traditionally minded Muslims are anti-gay/LGBT, highly offended by anyone rendering an image of their Mohammed and considering it an acceptable cause for a jihad, and they support family honor killings. And they also feel that anyone committing a blasphemous act is deserving of being stoned to death. They also think dogs are dirty animals.
They can think whatever they want.

Quote:
Again, anyone who thinks like that should not be allowed to immigrate into the US or Europe. They need to stay in their home countries with their primitive medieval beliefs until they evolve to a higher plane of thought.
I've said many times that I would accept keeping them out as long as we agree to stay out of their countries also. How about that? They stay there and we pull all of our soldiers, oil exploiters and the like?

Old 08-26-2016, 11:45 AM

Quote:
You can't do that after they are allowed in. People can by and large wear what they want. That's where vetting comes in. although you can't tell for sure what's in people hearts and minds, you can do a pretty good job if you only recruit from the professional class. They may be "Muslim" but that's pretty much in name only. Look at the typical Muslim families strolling in the malls. They are anything but professional. They look very agrarian. You can tell 90% by just watching how people dress or conduct themselves.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:46 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Let me tell you when you would give a hoot. That's when 50% of beach goers look like that. I am personally in favor of letting people wear what they want. But if that is the beach scene, I'll just pack up and go somewhere else. Incidentally, this is what happened to the inner cities.
What ?? Oh, everyone put on a Burkini and so the folks like you had to move to suburbs - is that about right?

This is America - you can go and do whatever the F you want as long as you are not harming anyone else (outranged sensibilities excepted).

Old 08-26-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The Amish never have.....they have bent a bit but still, they cover up. I don't see anyone arguing for them to accept our lifestyle or move out.
They do not have a history of wanting to forcibly convert anyone. Muslims do. It may not be fair but you wear orange overalls and walk the streets, chances are people make assumptions about you. It's just life. You put on a uniform, you are part of the team, want it or not.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:50 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,184,340 times
A burkini is more than a clothing preference. It's about supporting a really backwards way of thought about women.

Old 08-26-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
What ?? Oh, everyone put on a Burkini and so the folks like you had to move to suburbs - is that about right?
No, you are being too literal. Inner cities emptied out for a different reason. Heard of "white flight?"

Old 08-26-2016, 11:52 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,181,994 times
Quote:

I'm generally in favor of letting people wear what they want, and don't find the burkini per se offensive (a wetsuit with a hood), but the point you've raised is precisely the problem. I predict that when burkinis reach a critical mass in a beach, we will see harassment of women who aren't wearing one by Muslim men. Ultimately, this may end up with certain beaches and resorts being "burkini only," like some beaches now are clothing optional, and people who don't belong to Islam will have to go elsewhere.

What will happen to Western freedoms if we continue to tolerate their intolerance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies