Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 10:46 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Perhaps this is a question that previous generations have asked of us.

Do you believe that today's youth possess the tools, knowledge, work ethic, self-discipline, values, and awareness to be able to fulfill the needs of and help lead our country into the future both fiscally and with social responsibility?
I tend to view generations as a product of their environment. So yes, they'll be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 05:06 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,070,092 times
You know what you call Olympians who win the Silver and Bronze? .......... Losers.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:43 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,135,605 times
Quote:
Haven't the Gen Xers also dealt with the same issues except they have been working for quite some time now?

Can you provide examples that indicate millennials are tougher and more resilient compared to Baby Boomers and Gen Xers?

Better informed in what way? When you say rely on government, can you expand?

What do you mean those who have their respect will do well and those who don't won't do as well? Are you saying that whether or not we respect millennials determines whether or not we will do well?
I'll jump in here with the 'informed' point, at least with respects to employment.

I'm in tech, where things change so quickly, I am constantly having to learn brand new frameworks, libraries, and technologies in general, from top to bottom, every few weeks/months. And that's in addition to all the domain knowledge and systems that are also constantly changing, often due to the rapid life cycles of technologies in general.

Sure, even workers in generations past (librarians, bookkeepers, factory workers, etc) had to keep their skills sharp, but not nearly as intensely (at least for the average joe), and it was more for a competitive edge rather than a necessity for survival.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:45 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,135,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
You know what you call Olympians who win the Silver and Bronze? .......... Losers.
You know what I call them? People who are a hell of a lot more athletically skilled than you probably ever will be.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:55 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,817,146 times
Quote:

Do you believe that today's youth possess the tools, knowledge, work ethic, self-discipline, values, and awareness to be able to fulfill the needs of and help lead our country into the future both fiscally and with social responsibility?
On the question of the OP yes I do think that today's youth posessess these attributes in great enough of a percentage that our future is sound fiscally and socially.

FWIW, I believe our younger generation, starting with the millenials and onto my kid's generation (I think it is on Gen Z now since the Millenials are Y). are much more empathetic and socially aware. I feel they are more inclined to care about families and respect people as individuals regardless of race or gender or ethnicity or religion versus older generations.

In regards to fiscal responsibility, I'm not certain only because of their youth. I do believe though that they will grow to understand fiscal responsibility from the current, older generation. I actually got the most financial and fiscal responsibility lessons of sorts from my paternal great grandmother who was of the "Greatest Generation." She lived through the Depression and she gave me a lot of good advice about how to use credit, how I should not buy anything on credit other than a house (including cars, I don't ever pay a "car note" and will just save money and buy a car for cash). She taught me about paying myself, putting something away (because a woman should always have her own savings account separate from her husband) and using some of my money to "play" and enjoy myself. Also to invest in funds/indexes that match the S&P and to not pay a lot of fees to investment firms. That for retirement accounts invest in index funds because they cost less to manage and make the most money long term. Also that I should ensure that I put my money in diverse categories. To have a retirement fund or some sort of larger investment like CDs and bonds or a large money market account separate from my employment that I invest in as women always usually have to take time off work for childcare and I should always put money in my own retirement account. Men usually die before their wives (lol, my grandma was real and to the point!).

I took her advice well and my career has a lot to do with fiscal responsibility over the years for both public and private organizations. I make sure to teach other young people about what I've learned. Contrary it seems to what many people believe, young people are VERY interested in both earning money and saving money even though they also really are interested in spending money. You have to teach them all of this and hope for the best.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:21 PM

14,938 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I got my haircut last week at a local salon. The hairdresser poked me in the eye with her scissor handle, scratched my neck with her long fingernail, and caught my hair in the hair dryer ripping out a hunk of hair. After the hair dryer incident, I had enough. I got up and asked the manager of the salon if she could finish my blowout. The 24 year old hairdresser rushed out of the salon crying hysterically that I had criticized her. The manager said I was too hard on the girl. Too hard on her? I thought the hairstylist should have offered me an apology!

This is one example of dozens of stories I've experienced from this special snowflake generation. Many will flame me for it, but I don't have much hope for them surviving in the real world.

I have to say that I have met a number of young folks that give me hope for the future. They're responsible, hardworking, personable, intelligent. They won't have it easy, but they go into the future with my best wishes.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:35 PM

1,166 posts, read 754,856 times
Quote:

Get off my lawn, you whippersnappers!

Old 08-23-2016, 12:43 PM

1,700 posts, read 1,044,964 times
I don't think it is an understatement about how different this generation of kids and teens are. Look at all the replies on here, we argue about everything but we all seem to agree, young people in our society suck. Imagine they will have kids, a few kids, not as much as us probably, definitely not as much as our parents did.

But the population is exploding right? Well that is probably do to the 3rd world population getting just enough assistance from the 1st world to keep the survival rates high enough that when a 3rd world family has 10 kids, they finally have a good chance to see a majority of those kids survive.

I sort of painted an ugly picture of humanity.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:49 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,540 times
Quote:

Honestly I think there are some things that we grew up with that kids today do need to learn. Even something as basic as how to count change back, how to do things without a calculator or computer. How to entertain themselves without video games etc. It's disturbing to an extent to see how the youth of today are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Today's youth are only as good as the generation that raised them. Therefore, if there are any imperfections in today's youth, it's entirely their parents' generation's fault. Period.
I agree. We are tough on our kids. My husband and I have the mindset that if we don't teach our kids how to make the right choices, we failed them and their futures.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:58 PM

8,610 posts, read 10,142,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I'll jump in here with the 'informed' point, at least with respects to employment.

I'm in tech, where things change so quickly, I am constantly having to learn brand new frameworks, libraries, and technologies in general, from top to bottom, every few weeks/months. And that's in addition to all the domain knowledge and systems that are also constantly changing, often due to the rapid life cycles of technologies in general.

Sure, even workers in generations past (librarians, bookkeepers, factory workers, etc) had to keep their skills sharp, but not nearly as intensely (at least for the average joe), and it was more for a competitive edge rather than a necessity for survival.
You bring up a great point; however, there are many of us today who are not millennials who also work in tech and other sectors and continue to do what millennials do to keep our skills sharp in order to survive, so I am not sure that survival instinct is exclusive to millennials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies