Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 08:20 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,519,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Every generation thinks that the next generation is worthless. Somehow the world keeps on turning.
That's pretty much it. As a Gen Xer....aka "slacker" we were a generation expected to fail hard. But It seems we have survived and dare I say a lot of us have even thrived. I have a little fear for the future of our youth. just like my GEN they'll figure out what they need to do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 08:20 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,244,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Probably true. But I think the change between generations were small, almost non existence before 1700s(Western World). 1800s a bit more, early 1900s a lot more! 2000s, it is a whole new ball game. The difference is growing at an incredible rate. Technology driven mostly and also from the increased style of life(not sure how to describe it in words)
Why is it a whole new ballgame? Technology does spur change, but change isn't always a bad thing it's just different than before.

My mom once told me that her mother was so sure that those kids listening to rock and roll music would be the end of civilization. My mom was so sure that the music of my generation was from the devil. I think the stuff my kids listen to is horrible. Three generation all saying the same thing.

Look at technology. At one time there were no phones, then there were party lines and I'm sure kids were told to not tie up the line. I grew up with a wall phone, and was always told to get off the phone. My kids have cell phones, and I tell them to get off the phone.

Every generation has newer technology and want to have bigger and better than their parents. It's just how life is. One day my kids will be fussing about how the next generations is doing everything all wrong and they are going to destroy civilization.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I don't know anything about their work ethic, but I was on a college campus yesterday and saw 3 females with hair dyed a combination of silver/blue and a moron in a Santa hat. They sure are weird.
And? Parents probably were upset about their daughters showing their ankles at one time. Then there were the flappers, then women wore pants! The scandal!

Every generation tries to stand out. Styles change. I bet you even wore things that your parents thought was weird.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:28 AM

“The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.”

― Socrates

( Probably not a quote from Socrates, but this is not a new complaint)

Old 08-24-2016, 08:29 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,860,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
It's hard to look at a young person walking around with an IPOD or texting on a cell phone and not think they're a little soft upstairs and developmentally stunted. They're going to be disasters as parents and new parents right now can't seem to grasp their responsibilities in many cases.
Folks pulled out and stared at their beepers when they were the thing. Before that I suppose folks just smoked and had conversation.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:30 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,561,040 times
Brainwashed and broke.

No way to go through life.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:46 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,519,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitariuslupus View Post
How often do you see a kid doing a paper rout or mowing a lawn? Its rare. We are raising a generation of snowflakes. Little sugar cubes. I read an article about some male in a collage dorm who called 911 because there was a mouse in is dorm. Pre WW2 60 percent of the population was raised on a farm. Now we have little snow flakes that think making the next level of pokiman is some achievement.
Who reads newspapers? Everything is online now. Mowing lawns? Are you going to compete with low-cost labor of migrant workers? Farms with the F are you talking about?! Are you expecting America to seven we have a boom In small farms of something? Monsanto may want to have a talk with you about that.

Workforce has changed kid. And I still see plenty of teenagers and young adults working jobs. Actually they're working pretty much the same jobs I worked in when I started out. Not in a factory, and not on the farm, but in the service industries.

Old 08-24-2016, 11:19 AM

5,658 posts, read 6,288,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
The difference is growing at an incredible rate. Technology driven mostly and also from the increased style of life (not sure how to describe it in words).
Yes, we're seeing exponential deltas. Humans have a strong tendency to over-estimate short-term change and under-estimate long-term change. You are quite right that technological as well as societal rates of change are increasing. The rates of the rates of change are accelerating. The generation being born today, who will likely see the year 2100 (and may be immortal), will be witness to radical changes we here in 2016 quite literally could not even fathom. If you dropped all of us in this thread in the year 2100 there would be very little that would be recognizable and nearly all of the "technology" would seem outlandishly powerful or like pure magic. And technology will define life on earth forevermore (unless we enact or are affected by some Great Filter such as a giant asteroid, nuclear annihilation, a Carrington Event-style CME, or a gamma ray burst). You couldn't say that if you dropped somebody from, say, 1516 into the year 1600 that the technology and society of 1600 would be unrecognizable to the 1516 person.

Anyway, the idea that "every generation says that about the 'kids' and every generation winds up being just fine" is disingenuous in my opinion. I keep tuned into what's going on on college campuses and have hung around my girlfriend's niece and her friends a bit, and from what I'm seeing there is reason to think people who are 17-19 today are jacked up something fierce. But this is probably okay because Google, Apple, Facebook, IBM, and MicroSoft are currently building the leaders (and workers) of tomorrow -- deep-learning neural-net Artificial General Intelligence.

Dark Futurology

Old 08-24-2016, 02:48 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,618,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This.

It beats me why people blame Millennials for the participation trophy when it was the baby boomers who created it.

Let's just say that if Millennials were in charge, our Presidential choices would NOT be Hillary or Trump.
Because baby boomers know how to rebel and therefore know, kids have their own mind and they know how to use it. (well, they think they know how to use it)

Old 08-24-2016, 02:57 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,618,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Who reads newspapers? Everything is online now. Mowing lawns? Are you going to compete with low-cost labor of migrant workers? Farms with the F are you talking about?! Are you expecting America to seven we have a boom In small farms of something? Monsanto may want to have a talk with you about that.

Workforce has changed kid. And I still see plenty of teenagers and young adults working jobs. Actually they're working pretty much the same jobs I worked in when I started out. Not in a factory, and not on the farm, but in the service industries.
They still need to know how to mow a yard though ... as my daddy use to tell me, 'it builds character'.

Also, like a boy scout, be prepared for the day one can not go to a local grocery. This whole world could get turned up on its axis, those who know how to handle themselves will live to fight another day and be the generation that makes it back. Those that don't, won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies