Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 06:00 AM

15,163 posts, read 12,328,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phxone View Post
It is always amusing to see the things that old geezers think are important. I actually think it is annoying when a cashier (usually of an advanced age) wastes my time doing that strange counting back thing. On the rare occasion that I use cash, I want the correct change as quickly as possible without the archaic ritual of counting it back piece by piece. I can't even imagine what it was like when everyone did this with every purchase.

Why would anyone need to learn to do things without calculators, computers or video games? Are they going to disappear sometime soon never to be seen again? It is like saying that kids today suck because they aren't capable of traversing the country in a covered wagon. Or that society was headed down the crapper ever since people lost the ability to create their own stone tools.
So in the rare event you pay cash you want an estimated amount of change back then, maybe short a buck or two, but hey, we're too impatient to want to count it and make sure neither of us is shortchanged.

And I guess the concept of actually bring able to do the math, think for yourself, without having to depend on technology for even the simplest tasks has become too archaic to you to even consider, and the concept that all this technology you take for granted to do it all for you could disappear, in the twinkling of an EMP from a hostile source. Or even temporarily, from an interruption to the power grid from a powerful storm.

Kind of reminds me of the young woman I was working with a few years ago who had to grab a calculator to multiply a number by 10. Slowed down the work by quite a bit as she had to hunt around for the calculator.

But I doubt you even know what I am talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 07:44 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,225,745 times
I have no problem with the youth of America just as long as the don't cut across my lawn! STAY OFF OF MY GRASS YOUTH OF AMERCIA!

Old 08-29-2016, 08:29 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,243,167 times
My idea for the Youth, as I've discussed before would be the creation of a Civic Program, which is outlined in the concept presentation.

This would do many things for the youth, the overall of society, and our future. I have other ideas on the subject in the blogs I have posted on Citi-Data's blog section.

We must look at things in a different way that we current do. Not everyone is a University Candidate, and people can become contributors while gaining skills, expertise and benefit by many means, while at the same time strengthening out systems and their ability to function and move forward.
It's a great program, and over the long term, it can prove to be a civic, cultural and economic nature of surplus more than an expense drain. Thus so, it prepares the young for a more positive future in every respect.

Old 08-29-2016, 05:41 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,640,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
My idea for the Youth, as I've discussed before would be the creation of a Civic Program, which is outlined in the concept presentation.

This would do many things for the youth, the overall of society, and our future. I have other ideas on the subject in the blogs I have posted on Citi-Data's blog section.

We must look at things in a different way that we current do. Not everyone is a University Candidate, and people can become contributors while gaining skills, expertise and benefit by many means, while at the same time strengthening out systems and their ability to function and move forward.
It's a great program, and over the long term, it can prove to be a civic, cultural and economic nature of surplus more than an expense drain. Thus so, it prepares the young for a more positive future in every respect.
This?

Civics Education Intiative

"The Civics Education Initiative is simple in concept. It requires high school students, as a condition for graduation, to pass a test on 100 basic facts of U.S. history and civics, from the United States Citizenship Civics Test – the test all new US citizens must pass. The Civics Education Initiative is a first step to ensure all students are taught basic civics about how our government works, and who we are as a nation…things every student must learn to be ready for active, engaged citizenship."

Old 08-29-2016, 05:45 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,640,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalDiscord View Post
No offense, but if reading is somehow something you find burdensome and reading ones full argument something you find unnecessary to make a rebuttal, then nothing you provide could merit any honest evaluation.

Good day!

If one is giving a speech, they have 60 seconds to get their point across. Do you know why that is?

Nothing personal, and at least I was honest and up front about it.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:02 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,247,690 times
It is so very much harder for the millennials than it was for us.
I had a new debt free English degree from a state school and my husband was a college dropout (didn't need that student deferment any more) when we started out in 1977. He had some computer operator/programming experience,and an IT "aptitude" starting as a cobol programmer and gave him a 35 year successful software career without ever finishing a degree. I went to work in the public schools. We retired years ago with pensions and savings: something I very much doubt our kids will have. They have degrees, work hard, raise children and are good citizens but I don't see them ever being as blessed as we were.

Old 08-29-2016, 06:10 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,443,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
We are screwed UNLESS we need professionals at video games and web browsing.
to teach their foreign counterparts to do it cheaper.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:04 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,051,709 times
I overheard some kids talking. 3 girls, around 10-12years old is my best guess. At first they were talking about going somewhere, then one asked if another girls "mommies" can give her a ride. This got my attention, but I figured I misheard, although having 2 mommies is not unheard of these days. Soon the girl with 2 mommies confirmed by stating her moms probably could. Soon they started talking about how 2 boys were kissing at camp. They thought it was so cute. Then one of them talked about how she got to shake Obama's hand when he came into town. She talked about how tall he was and how cute he was.

Yeah that is the end of my story. Do these 3 kids represent all kids, of course not. But they are considered normal in some parts of the country.
Take it as a good sign or bad sign.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:52 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,530,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalDiscord View Post
Now, contrast that with today. Today, you can be a complete laymen. That is, you can have ZERO knowledge of a computer technology (and just about anything else) and yet... for free you can find numerous websites, blogs, Youtube videos, etc... willing to explain the tech in the most extreme detail possible.

You can buy books and sign up for sites that have detailed instruction on a technology and prepares you for some tech field. For instance, if you can read and know basic math, you can start on a long series of education (often free) to where you can learn Cisco network engineering. You can study and progress from a certification to be a CCNA:RS (45-55k+ a year) --> CCNP:RS (60-70k+ a year)--> CCIE:R&S (80-100k+ a year) in a very even progression all using free study material, or if you want more ease, pay a bit to a site/book/etc.. and get even easier.

You can learn to program in any language, gain numerous certs and practice all of these technologies often for free or minimal cost if you simply can read, have an internet connection, and can operate a computer at a very basic level.

This isn't just reserved for tech knowledge either, you can learn anything on the net for next to nothing in cost.
So in essence... If I understand you correctly......your saying people can learn the skills somewhat easily.....If not now then later.

So If someone's College major didn't work out. They could learn A new skill mostly self-taught (at first). Then if (most likely) they needed to they'd probably go back to a technical school (some other type of school) later on and be retrained to get the skills they have formalized if needed. Perhaps a current employer would provide training depending on where a person was working and if the showed talent for a particular skill needed.
In essence a person of any generation could/would adapt themselves to fit themselves into a job market.... Tech or otherwise.

Quote:
Millennials are spoiled, lazy and entitled (not all, but enough to brand them in bulk) and their lack of success is because they are too busy blaming everyone else rather than seeking the solutions themselves. It is EASIER to learn a marketable skill today than it has ever been in history. They do not have it harder, they have it easier.
Again this is only your opinion of a generation. I heard similar opinions when I left high school over 20 years ago. We were universally called "slacker" back then. But those opinions turnout to be wrong. So saying the millennial's will be failures and are doomed this early in the game, to me sounds ridiculous.

Look. In the part of the post above you stated that people have access to learn new skills fairly easily. And I agree with you. Where we separate is where you don't believe the millennial's will ever adapt (mature enough) to a changing world and/or job market. I believe they will. Just like my generation did. (And yes we had plenty of frivolous/low employment majors to choose from back in the day.)

Really this argument is coming down to whether the millennial's have the will/ability to adapt to a changing world and/or job market or not. And honestly we're not going to know the answer to that till at least another decade or so. So neither one of us can claim we're right here. Though I still say history is strongly on my side.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:04 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,942,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
I overheard some kids talking. 3 girls, around 10-12years old is my best guess. At first they were talking about going somewhere, then one asked if another girls "mommies" can give her a ride. This got my attention, but I figured I misheard, although having 2 mommies is not unheard of these days. Soon the girl with 2 mommies confirmed by stating her moms probably could. Soon they started talking about how 2 boys were kissing at camp. They thought it was so cute. Then one of them talked about how she got to shake Obama's hand when he came into town. She talked about how tall he was and how cute he was.

Yeah that is the end of my story. Do these 3 kids represent all kids, of course not. But they are considered normal in some parts of the country.
Take it as a good sign or bad sign.
I think it's pretty typical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies