Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 02:17 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,521,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalDiscord View Post
Except networking was beginning to evolve around that time and numerous developments in software, processor tech, storage, etc... were also consistently advancing at record pace (we still were advancing according to Moores Law). The internet boomed and we were off with the tech bubble (a whole different discussion).

Point is, anyone who knew anything about computers back then knew what this advanced and distant networking of computers would bring. I remember the gaming industry pushing the hardware manufactures to extreme competition to develop the next fastest card, we transition from 2d to 3d games, and pushed into software development realms never before tried.

The only people who were going on about doomsday back then were ignorant people who knew nothing about computers.

The issue is not the same. Back then, you still had many people going into tech fields. Computer science was a popular field and you had numerous people going into software engineering and more popular than that was computer engineering which due to the hardware architecture boom that was happening. By the time the tech bubble hit in the 90's computer science jobs were booming and the market was flooding with people into the field, they even came up with new degrees like MIS to handle entirely new job creations happening in the business world (IT departments).

Now contrast that with today. The problem isn't the same. The issue here is that those in the educational sector aren't filling the jobs needed in the tech sector. Network engineers are in dire need, security is severely lacking in qualified talent, and numerous fields are starting to have issues as people begin to retire out of them. We aren't talking about the doom and gloom of ignorance in the 80's who didn't know much about computers and what it had in store for the world with a population of grads about ready to be unleashed into the field. What we have now is a youth who are under educated to the level of jobs that are becoming in demand.

Some new tech that comes in to open up a whole new world of advancement isn't the issue, it is the lack of bodies to fill that focus. The evidence is all in the numbers of grads and their focuses. Many of these fields are not being focused on, rather people are taking degrees that are useless to those fields and you can't train people on the job in topics that require an enormous amount of back knowledge. We did that in the early 90's (putting business degrees into the IT department) and it had a horrible result.
Now all of these fields are specialized with professionals trained to a specific set of requirements that can't be adapted to by a liberal arts major without excessive effort and cost on all parties involved.

There are some new industries that could really boom (robotics is a big one) just like they did in the 90's but we have a youth who are not adapted to it. Computer science and similar STEM fields are in severe decline, we aren't prepared. You aren't going to fast track a English lit grad into mechanics and computer engineering for a job in robotics. More likely, they will be upset that the automaton took their old job.
Is There a U.S. Engineering Shortage? It Depends Who You Ask | The Power Plant

Really. some folks don't seem to agree with you.

Quote:
You have no clue what you are talking about.

You are heavy with the belligerence and non-existence on your point.

Run along kiddo.
You keep making claims that the millennial's are doomed. I told you I heard the same thing 20 years ago and it didn't come to pass. Which is true. We adapted to any tough situation and we're making it here in the good old US of a. The millennial's will do the same. If the job market changes they will change with it.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/01/12/un...ped-engineers/

Get on your rascal scooter and scoot. You're boring everyone with the diatribes of an imaginary Armageddon coming our way.

Last edited by baystater; 08-26-2016 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 09:53 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,623,273 times
Quote:
Except networking was beginning to evolve around that time and numerous developments in software, processor tech, storage, etc... were also consistently advancing at record pace (we still were advancing according to Moores Law). The internet boomed and we were off with the tech bubble (a whole different discussion).

Point is, anyone who knew anything about computers back then knew what this advanced and distant networking of computers would bring. I remember the gaming industry pushing the hardware manufactures to extreme competition to develop the next fastest card, we transition from 2d to 3d games, and pushed into software development realms never before tried.

The only people who were going on about doomsday back then were ignorant people who knew nothing about computers.

The issue is not the same. Back then, you still had many people going into tech fields. Computer science was a popular field and you had numerous people going into software engineering and more popular than that was computer engineering which due to the hardware architecture boom that was happening. By the time the tech bubble hit in the 90's computer science jobs were booming and the market was flooding with people into the field, they even came up with new degrees like MIS to handle entirely new job creations happening in the business world (IT departments).

Now contrast that with today. The problem isn't the same. The issue here is that those in the educational sector aren't filling the jobs needed in the tech sector. Network engineers are in dire need, security is severely lacking in qualified talent, and numerous fields are starting to have issues as people begin to retire out of them. We aren't talking about the doom and gloom of ignorance in the 80's who didn't know much about computers and what it had in store for the world with a population of grads about ready to be unleashed into the field. What we have now is a youth who are under educated to the level of jobs that are becoming in demand.

Some new tech that comes in to open up a whole new world of advancement isn't the issue, it is the lack of bodies to fill that focus. The evidence is all in the numbers of grads and their focuses. Many of these fields are not being focused on, rather people are taking degrees that are useless to those fields and you can't train people on the job in topics that require an enormous amount of back knowledge. We did that in the early 90's (putting business degrees into the IT department) and it had a horrible result.
Now all of these fields are specialized with professionals trained to a specific set of requirements that can't be adapted to by a liberal arts major without excessive effort and cost on all parties involved.

There are some new industries that could really boom (robotics is a big one) just like they did in the 90's but we have a youth who are not adapted to it. Computer science and similar STEM fields are in severe decline, we aren't prepared. You aren't going to fast track a English lit grad into mechanics and computer engineering for a job in robotics. More likely, they will be upset that the automaton took their old job.
I have to admit that I did not read your whole post. (it's long) However, you do not need to take my word for 'experience' out weigh education, all you have to do is google it as I did to see that it is true.

Most computer geeks got their experience from working on their own, in their own home, doing their own programming, networking, etc.

If you don't know that, then you don't know Linux.

btw: I passed the IT test fresh out of school. The person giving the test said, the test are geared toward the textbook. Since I wasn't pivey to all the 'shortcuts' passing that test was easier for me then, much harder now, if I were to take it again ...

Old 08-28-2016, 01:55 PM

34,140 posts, read 17,210,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Perhaps this is a question that previous generations have asked of us.

Do you believe that today's youth possess the tools, knowledge, work ethic, self-discipline, values, and awareness to be able to fulfill the needs of and help lead our country into the future both fiscally and with social responsibility?

No.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:23 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,760,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
I don't think it is an understatement about how different this generation of kids and teens are. Look at all the replies on here, we argue about everything but we all seem to agree, young people in our society suck.
I do not agree. I work in the tech industry and they do not suck in the least. They probably know more than a lot of previous generations that only had to know how to drive a truck or do a repetitive task at a manufacturing plant. They have been raised knowing they will likely have to reinvent their careers two or three times in their working life rather than working for a single company into retirement. They have a lot of technology but also are involved in creating that technology and making it better and they have to do it at an ever increasing rate of speed. They are raised with the knowledge that a college degree is pretty much a necessity for the most average of jobs because high school is just not enough anymore.

They are raised in a generation where drugs are everywhere and addiction is practically a plague on this country, yet most are able to avoid that and keep going while they hear of friends they knew in high school that are no longer here. They have never known a time when knowledge wasn't just a click away, which is great, but everyone else has access to that same knowledge and they all have to compete. Previous generations sound downright innocent in comparison to that and while they are constantly adapting, they have an older generation telling them how worthless they are while using the very technology they are helping to create. They need to ignore that older generation and just keep going.

Old 08-28-2016, 08:31 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,623,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
I do not agree. I work in the tech industry and they do not suck in the least. They probably know more than a lot of previous generations that only had to know how to drive a truck or do a repetitive task at a manufacturing plant. They have been raised knowing they will likely have to reinvent their careers two or three times in their working life rather than working for a single company into retirement. They have a lot of technology but also are involved in creating that technology and making it better and they have to do it at an ever increasing rate of speed. They are raised with the knowledge that a college degree is pretty much a necessity for the most average of jobs because high school is just not enough anymore.

They are raised in a generation where drugs are everywhere and addiction is practically a plague on this country, yet most are able to avoid that and keep going while they hear of friends they knew in high school that are no longer here. They have never known a time when knowledge wasn't just a click away, which is great, but everyone else has access to that same knowledge and they all have to compete. Previous generations sound downright innocent in comparison to that and while they are constantly adapting, they have an older generation telling them how worthless they are while using the very technology they are helping to create. They need to ignore that older generation and just keep going.
"We hear about the superior tech savvy of people born after 1980 so often that we tend to assume it must be true. But is it?" American Millennials are among the world's least skilled

Old 08-28-2016, 08:35 PM

125 posts, read 114,600 times
Only the extreme liberal youth will have issues..
Can't have trigger warnings everywhere..

See the reason I say that is because just look at what they are doing.. They want special treatment, they don't like it when someone happens to be a conservative, they want free entitlements like college and healthcare..
All they think about is free this, free that, OMG being conservative is racist..
Ugh..
I can't stand those social justice warriors..

Oh, and don't get me started on their assault on family values and traditionalism...

Old 08-28-2016, 08:47 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,760,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
"We hear about the superior tech savvy of people born after 1980 so often that we tend to assume it must be true. But is it?" American Millennials are among the world's least skilled
Your own article says the college educated tested better than the high school educated and like I said, a college education is practically needed for a Starbucks job. It's just a different era. Even computer hardware manufacturers are having to rethink with everything going to the cloud. Software media is a thing of the past along with DVDs and CDs. The younger generation is having to adapt at an ever increasing speed and they don't complain because they don't have time to. I only need online access to my local newspaper but they give a lower price for online with Sunday delivery. Why? They are practically bribing me to take a printed version one day a week and it just gets tossed which doesn't bode well for the retirees that deliver it.

Last edited by Seacove; 08-28-2016 at 09:17 PM..

Old 08-28-2016, 08:53 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,927,512 times
Every generation of youth is limited by its age........and I have always tried to cut younger people slack (heck, I was young and dumb myself)!
That said, young people today are astoundingly, amazingly ignorant and pathetic, even in comparison to the past. It's not their fault, for the most part: our education system is DESIGNED to make them dumb, for ulterior motives.

But we're pretty much screwed.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:02 PM

32,156 posts, read 15,153,433 times
Quote:
What is your point? That you went to school, picked up some degrees and then preceded to change to a completely different field to obtain the relevant skills needed to properly market yourself?

You only validate my point. Your degrees were worthless to any practical need.

Those degrees mean nothing in IT.

If they need someone who understands databases, understands the various languages associated with it,the concepts of virtualization and distribution of data, your degrees are a waste of time. None of what you learned in your degrees is useful.

The same is with server administration, network engineering, software engineering, or heck even project management. Nothing of what you learned in school is relevant to the specifics of those tech focused degrees.

So, in order for you to market yourself, you had to then seek additional education to be able to do the above disciplines be it through certification or other means. At the end of the day, your degree is irrelevant to the field to which you entered. Your degree in no way made you more qualified than some random guy who taught himself a particular discipline and obtained certifications as such. Nobody is going to hire you into a tech field with those degrees alone only to have to turn around and spend an enormous amount of time educating you on the specifics of that tech. Not going to happen.

The point is that we have numerous youth today who are highly educated, but not in any practical skills. So what that you changed focuses, anyone can do that regardless of a degree, they need only show themselves to be capable in that discipline. Your degrees in most situations will not even be considered as they are irrelevant skill sets to the focus.
You probably think that a history degree is worthless. But it's a lot of reading, writing and research. And those skills are valuable. Many employers want writing examples. An english degree would teach you how to write as well.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:55 AM

37,809 posts, read 41,104,019 times
I think they don't know that they're pu**ies and their parents are pu**y enablers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies