Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 04:59 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,517,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
They still need to know how to mow a yard though ... as my daddy use to tell me, 'it builds character'.
If you want to give kids "personal" chores that's fine by me. And yeah some parents still do give kids chores nowadays. But everything The poster was talking about in the last post doesn't exist anymore for the most part. Jobs for young kids don't exist all that much anymore. Maybe you can find a babysitting gig sometimes. Granted I've seen a lot of low-cost adult babysitters for kids kicking around where I live.
But basically nowadays you have to wait until 14 1/2 maybe 15 to actually get a job. And you're going to work in a service job. cashier, some type of food prep, maybe.....just maybe landscaping. That's the current trend of things. I see it every day teenagers and young adults working those service jobs. Not sitting at home playing Xbox like so many keyboard warriors on this board like to complain about.

Of course other parents (especially where I live the Bos-wash corridor) would rather pay migrant worker to do the work. And have there kid enrolled in after schools sports and or academic programs the will give (hopefully) give their kid an edge toward college. Kids spend so much Time in academics and/or preparation for college that they don't have time for a job (some times chores) their homework is there a work/chore the sport program their parents have placed them in their work/chore. Their academic clubs are their work/chores. Etc. etc. basically their parents have giving them A task. That is to get into the best college they can.... Hopefully on a scholarship of some type.

Quote:
Also, like a boy scout, be prepared for the day one can not go to a local grocery. This whole world could get turned up on its axis, those who know how to handle themselves will live to fight another day and be the generation that makes it back. Those that don't, won't.
Are you a survivalist? Because you sound like one. So tell me in your imagination what does a world upside down look like? And what is it going to take to survive in a world upside down?....is it mowing the lawn?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 05:24 PM

29,220 posts, read 22,424,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Haven't the Gen Xers also dealt with the same issues except they have been working for quite some time now?
Yes. The two groups share that in common, along with some other social stuff.

Quote:
Can you provide examples that indicate millennials are tougher and more resilient compared to Baby Boomers and Gen Xers?
Only from personal experience knowing and working with some of them. I'm not saying they are all like this, but for many, their parents have had their own hard times, too, so they're not all extra-pampered by any means.

Quote:
Better informed in what way? When you say rely on government, can you expand?
They are more constantly plugged into everything, especially the stuff that concerns them the most, than the boomers or the gen-xers. They also share more in groups, and tend to avoid groups that are older or don't share their values as much.
Both the Gen Xers and the Millennials have little faith in the government doing anything for their long-term welfare, from my first-hand observation, and retirement is something neither considers much more than a remote possibility.
But the Millennials are much more politically involved and motivated than the Gen Xers I know; the GenX generation has either settled into a party or has become more resigned to governmental matters and hold an eqaul amount of cynicism and indifference. The Millennials want to change a major party, while the Gen Xers would rather voter for 3rd parties instead.

Quote:
What do you mean those who have their respect will do well and those who don't won't do as well? Are you saying that whether or not we respect millennials determines whether or not we will do well?
By and large, the Millennials decide for themselves who to respect or not. They don't pay any attention to what their elders say as much as what they do. Actions tend to generate more respect than words. And they are pretty cynical; they see the older generations as being pretty inept and ineffectual in a lot of things, and they don't want a lot of things their elders desired.

Granted, a lot are still quite young. I can't say how long or how strong some of their attitudes may persist, but they don't hold the older generations in much reverence right now, especailly the boomers, who they think sold out their principles for too many toys and too-large houses.

As I mentioned, all this is only from my personal observations and experiences, and they are limited to the mountain west. I have no idea if they apply to other regions of the country.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,673,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I got my haircut last week at a local salon. The hairdresser poked me in the eye with her scissor handle, scratched my neck with her long fingernail, and caught my hair in the hair dryer ripping out a hunk of hair. After the hair dryer incident, I had enough. I got up and asked the manager of the salon if she could finish my blowout. The 24 year old hairdresser rushed out of the salon crying hysterically that I had criticized her. The manager said I was too hard on the girl. Too hard on her? I thought the hairstylist should have offered me an apology!

This is one example of dozens of stories I've experienced from this special snowflake generation. Many will flame me for it, but I don't have much hope for them surviving in the real world.
Last month I RSVP'd "NO" to wedding back east. It got there before I go to tell the mother of the bride(my friend) that I was not coming(I live in CA). She told me how I shouldn't have left it up to her daughter to have to tell her and how stressful it was for her. The bride is 29 years old.

I also have several examples like you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Today's youth are only as good as the generation that raised them. Therefore, if there are any imperfections in today's youth, it's entirely their parents' generation's fault. Period.
Oh absolutely, it's the parent's fault.

Doesn't change though the problem at hand.

While there are some outstanding young people, we also have many entitled and very immature young adults these days. Any criticism and you're a "hater". Every slight in life or perceived slight has to be posted on Facebook.

Now many think they're entitled to free college because certain politicians tell them so, free college? I was paying off student loans well into my 30s.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:33 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,613,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
If you want to give kids "personal" chores that's fine by me. And yeah some parents still do give kids chores nowadays. But everything The poster was talking about in the last post doesn't exist anymore for the most part. Jobs for young kids don't exist all that much anymore. Maybe you can find a babysitting gig sometimes. Granted I've seen a lot of low-cost adult babysitters for kids kicking around where I live.
But basically nowadays you have to wait until 14 1/2 maybe 15 to actually get a job. And you're going to work in a service job. cashier, some type of food prep, maybe.....just maybe landscaping. That's the current trend of things. I see it every day teenagers and young adults working those service jobs. Not sitting at home playing Xbox like so many keyboard warriors on this board like to complain about.

Of course other parents (especially where I live the Bos-wash corridor) would rather pay migrant worker to do the work. And have there kid enrolled in after schools sports and or academic programs the will give (hopefully) give their kid an edge toward college. Kids spend so much Time in academics and/or preparation for college that they don't have time for a job (some times chores) their homework is there a work/chore the sport program their parents have placed them in their work/chore. Their academic clubs are their work/chores. Etc. etc. basically their parents have giving them A task. That is to get into the best college they can.... Hopefully on a scholarship of some type.

Are you a survivalist? Because you sound like one. So tell me in your imagination what does a world upside down look like? And what is it going to take to survive in a world upside down?....is it mowing the lawn?
Quote:
Are you a survivalist? And what is it going to take to survive in a world upside down?....is it mowing the lawn?
With you having to ask those two questions, I do hope for your sake, your world doesn't change for you.

I can give two reasons a kid is not mowing a lawn and earning money doing it. Poor salesmanship and an inability to put muscle to the grindstone where needed.

I lived in one place for about 12 years and drove my children to the schools within the community. There was a house that sat across from the high school. It was a nice house, but it could use some work. Every morning when I dropped the kids off for school, I'd see a truck loaded with lawn care service equipment leave.

Several years went by and one morning I noticed not one truck but 6 leave that house and contractors restoring the house ...

Am I a survivalist? Yes ... I have lived to tell the tale, that no academic program could ever prepare me for the realities I have had to face in my life. With that said ...

We live in a world of illusion where we believe tomorrow will be the same as it is today. We give no thought to the 'what if' and just busy on about our days.

That rich kid would not be able to function if they could not get the money out of the ATM. If the States got hacked and all that that we know to use to function just shut down. Wow, many would be in a world of hurt, not knowing what to do in that moment of 'crises'.

I saw an interview of one girl age 18 (on a talk show) she didn't know how to put gas in her car. I kid you not.

So, yes, kids need to mow a yard, rake a leaf, hall some garbage and yes study hard too. Mentally they will be better prepared to face the hard roads life usually takes us down.
Quote:
So tell me in your imagination what does a world upside down look like?
Not my imagination mind you (in mine it would be a lot worse)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi_Rz9mCTjM

Old 08-24-2016, 07:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,673,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Folks pulled out and stared at their beepers when they were the thing. Before that I suppose folks just smoked and had conversation.
No, if someone carried a pager, they looked at it for a few seconds and either made a phone call or put it back in their pocket.

They didn't walk around like zombies in stores, through parking lots(you know that cars drive through) or my favorite cross the street or across driveways to parking lots, never looking around to see if any cars are coming.

Not even close to the same thing.

Yes, and conversation. Not sitting at a table with 3 people and no one is interacting, too busy texting someone else. Can't live in the moment.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:51 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,589,820 times
Quote:
Perhaps this is a question that previous generations have asked of us.

Do you believe that today's youth possess the tools, knowledge, work ethic, self-discipline, values, and awareness to be able to fulfill the needs of and help lead our country into the future both fiscally and with social responsibility?
Yep.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:01 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,805,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
No, if someone carried a pager, they looked at it for a few seconds and either made a phone call or put it back in their pocket.

They didn't walk around like zombies in stores, through parking lots(you know that cars drive through) or my favorite cross the street or across driveways to parking lots, never looking around to see if any cars are coming.

Not even close to the same thing.

Yes, and conversation. Not sitting at a table with 3 people and no one is interacting, too busy texting someone else. Can't live in the moment.
This is true lol!
We make a goal when we go to dinner that the phones stay in the purse or in the pocket. However when we do a mom's night out like I did last night with friends the phones stayed on the table screen up because we had one of the husbands/dads watch the kids.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:02 PM

32,128 posts, read 15,124,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I got my haircut last week at a local salon. The hairdresser poked me in the eye with her scissor handle, scratched my neck with her long fingernail, and caught my hair in the hair dryer ripping out a hunk of hair. After the hair dryer incident, I had enough. I got up and asked the manager of the salon if she could finish my blowout. The 24 year old hairdresser rushed out of the salon crying hysterically that I had criticized her. The manager said I was too hard on the girl. Too hard on her? I thought the hairstylist should have offered me an apology!

This is one example of dozens of stories I've experienced from this special snowflake generation. Many will flame me for it, but I don't have much hope for them surviving in the real world.

They will be just fine...just like every other generation before them It's so funny how each generation criticizes the next....like they are better or something lol

Old 08-24-2016, 09:05 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,517,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
With you having to ask those two questions, I do hope for your sake, your world doesn't change for you.
Oh. I expect the world to change. I just don't expect the nightmare scenario like you do. In fact I'm very hopeful. Technology will move forward in the human race will move forward with it. Everything forward.

Quote:
I can give two reasons a kid is not mowing a lawn and earning money doing it. Poor salesmanship and an inability to put muscle to the grindstone where needed.
Nope. 1. Kids have other things to do as I've already stated in my last post. 2. Two it's probably more cost-effective, and better workmanship to hire Migrant worker. It really not the kids fault in this case.
PS. The future of America is not going to be built with muscle. it's going to be built on knowledge and creativity. You're still thinking in the factory area. Factory work is either gone or it's been taken over by robots for the most part.

Now you can make an argument for certain services. Plumbing , electrician, etc. but even in those trades that require more physical skills....in my area there still a requirement of education and a apprenticeship to be licensed. Maybe in the area that you're at you don't require very high standards of education for those trades. But mine does.

Quote:
I lived in one place for about 12 years and drove my children to the schools within the community. There was a house that sat across from the high school. It was a nice house, but it could use some work. Every morning when I dropped the kids off for school, I'd see a truck loaded with lawn care service equipment leave.

Several years went by and one morning I noticed not one truck but 6 leave that house and contractors restoring the house ...
Exactly what are you going for with the story?
Building a lawn care business?

Do you know if the person that owned that lawn care business hired migrant workers or kids? Also the contractors are working on the house did they hire migrant workers?

Quote:
Am I a survivalist? Yes ... I have lived to tell the tale, that no academic program could ever prepare me for the realities I have had to face in my life. With that said ...

We live in a world of illusion where we believe tomorrow will be the same as it is today. We give no thought to the 'what if' and just busy on about our days.

That rich kid would not be able to function if they could not get the money out of the ATM. If the States got hacked and all that that we know to use to function just shut down. Wow, many would be in a world of hurt, not knowing what to do in that moment of 'crises'.
Wouldn't be just rich kids. It would be everybody. Nobody really carries cash all that often anymore. And how long do you think our world will be shooken up by a hack. Probably a week maybe two max. What you don't think our government doesn't have in place a plan to deal with a major hack? We've known for a very long time that cyber warfare exsist. Heck we created the stuck net virus.
Also remember when New York lost power for a little bit. What happened. nothing. Just an annoyance. Your scenario needs to be more like Hurricane Katrina. Where there was major physical damage on top of and inability of all levels of government being able to properly serve the populous that instance. And no amount of lawn mowing could teach resilence in that situation. You'd learn as went and adapt out of sheer necessity. And eventually it would be help from the government. I know you don't probably believe that. But it you would.

Quote:
I saw an interview of one girl age 18 (on a talk show) she didn't know how to put gas in her car. I kid you not.
Well what here situation? Did she take public transport all her life? Also if she had to learn? How long do you think it would take her to learn?

Quote:
So, yes, kids need to mow a yard, rake a leaf, hall some garbage and yes study hard too. Mentally they will be better prepared to face the hard roads life usually takes us down.
Not my imagination mind you (in mine it would be a lot worse)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi_Rz9mCTjM
1. at the very end of this trailer it says a premiere MOVIE. It sensationalized crap.

If you want to see what actually happens. Watch a Hurricane Katrina documentary or Fukushima documentary. Seems that life went on after thoses events.

2. Again as I said earlier. In nightmare senerio yard work and chores is not going to teach resiliency that you need. It going to require adaptation in you thinking and you will be forced to learn as you go.

Last edited by baystater; 08-24-2016 at 09:31 PM..

Old 08-24-2016, 09:07 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,986,533 times
Quote:
Perhaps this is a question that previous generations have asked of us.

Do you believe that today's youth possess the tools, knowledge, work ethic, self-discipline, values, and awareness to be able to fulfill the needs of and help lead our country into the future both fiscally and with social responsibility?
No, but neither did my generation or the generations before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies