Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 05:52 AM

24,477 posts, read 23,178,140 times

Advertisements

It's hard to look at a young person walking around with an IPOD or texting on a cell phone and not think they're a little soft upstairs and developmentally stunted. They're going to be disasters as parents and new parents right now can't seem to grasp their responsibilities in many cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 06:42 AM

21,305 posts, read 19,921,100 times
If they can figure out how to pay off the $19 TRIlLLION+ debt that previous spoiled generations have bequeathed to them, they should be alright.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:56 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,102,797 times
It has to do with the examples made for them. One constant I have found teaching community college is many young people are thirsting for discipline in their lives. For some certainty that what they are doing will lead...not perfectly..but with some direction to a happy and fulfilling life of service.

Of course I get a select group that are drug tested and come with live scan backgrounds... Most community college young people cannot pass either today...

The parents of these young people use drugs and many times have engaged with criminality themselves..and so it goes. The cycle is difficult..not impossible to change.

Some of the public policies and popular culture messages are permanently harming our young adults..making them less qualified less enabled more sheltered Americans.Each of us are responsible for this.

Promote quality education
Yes your sleeves and piercings will effect you in ways you may not like
Getting up before the sun is normal
A job even a minimum wage one is necessary for life skills
Drug free existence...pot is not harmless..it never was it never will be
Service to others before self
Real skills..unless your going to be a drone operator or video game producer social media is not a skill
And the most important..
The ability to self analyze and change negative PERSONAL direction through responsible living.

Oh..you thought I was talking just about young adults... Well more often than not it's their parents too

Last edited by notmeofficer; 08-24-2016 at 07:53 AM..

Old 08-24-2016, 07:00 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,912,417 times
I think our youth are Kinder and more compassionate than previous generations. I also think that they feel more entitled and don't believe that they should have to earn their own way. We created them.... They didn't invent themselves.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:11 AM

16,828 posts, read 15,240,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
This.

It beats me why people blame Millennials for the participation trophy when it was the baby boomers who created it.

Let's just say that if Millennials were in charge, our Presidential choices would NOT be Hillary or Trump.

very true.

the choices for millennials would be sponge bob and the master chief on halo.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:29 AM

39,414 posts, read 27,790,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Perhaps this is a question that previous generations have asked of us.

Do you believe that today's youth possess the tools, knowledge, work ethic, self-discipline, values, and awareness to be able to fulfill the needs of and help lead our country into the future both fiscally and with social responsibility?
I was born in 1985. I think I am doing well.

I think Being professional involves everything from how you dress and present yourself in the business world to the way you treat others. Professionalism is such a broad category, in fact, that it basically encompasses all the other elements of a strong work ethic.

I can certainly be relied on to keep my promises. “Good enough” is not good enough for me or anybody work with me. Always aim for outstanding.

Impeccable work ethic to me, is the most important.

I also believe for all of the people who've let sloppiness about time turn into a daily or weekly habit, it's time to stop.

All these said,

My nephews are 5 and 6 years old, my Godson just turned 7. They are good kids. I just want them to be healthy and happy, hopefully they all turn out to be productive members of the society. That is all I can hope for.

a little off topic here, I am not a 9 to 5 person, I like to go from project to project. I like to work hard and play harder. I think quality of life is more important than everything. As a girl/woman, I would like to be a provider for my future family, and I also respect traditional gender roles.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:49 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,266,795 times
Every generation thinks that the next generation is worthless. Somehow the world keeps on turning.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:09 AM

1,700 posts, read 1,050,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Every generation thinks that the next generation is worthless. Somehow the world keeps on turning.
Probably true. But I think the change between generations were small, almost non existence before 1700s(Western World). 1800s a bit more, early 1900s a lot more! 2000s, it is a whole new ball game. The difference is growing at an incredible rate. Technology driven mostly and also from the increased style of life(not sure how to describe it in words)

Old 08-24-2016, 08:15 AM

6 posts, read 3,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Never before has there been a generation like todays college students though.

They pretend to get offended by everything, they need their stupid little "safe spaces", they are hyperemotional, mentally defective, and unfit to exist in reality.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:15 AM

7,829 posts, read 6,421,094 times
I don't know anything about their work ethic, but I was on a college campus yesterday and saw 3 females with hair dyed a combination of silver/blue and a moron in a Santa hat. They sure are weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies