Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you see those wanting diversity for the sake of diversity as:
Trying to see past race and ethnicity 10 9.71%
Being PC and it's more about looking tolerant 56 54.37%
Oh, give me a break and a beer 37 35.92%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 04:56 PM

1,202 posts, read 641,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
So you're moving because of horrible schools, horrible drivers and lots of crime. However, if you find another neighborbood that's a vast improvement in these categories but with the same demographic, would you move there?
Nope. If you read farther you will see I stated I enjoy being around my own people. People I share a culture/heritage/language with. On top of the fact the reason the schools suck is because 70% of the students don't understand English in ANY form....The crime FOLLOWS these people. It did not affect me when we lived in the smaller town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2016, 05:00 PM

6,232 posts, read 3,611,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If it was a mixed marriage of a black and white couple wouldn't make more since to ask about a neighborhood with blacks and whites instead of just diverse? If they moved into a neighborhood that was diverse by being 60% white, 30% Asian and 10% Hispanic, would that help the black kid from that marriage?

Back to restaurants, the best ethnic restaurants aren't in diverse neighborhoods, they are in the majority ethnic neighborhood where that type of food came.

If you want a neighborhood with a decent amount of gay people because you ar gay, it's perfectly reasonable to ask for that type of neighborhood instead of just asking for diverse.

In the Houston section, I've seen a number of posts from gay people looking for neighborhoods with a gay presence, and I see nothing wrong with that.

It seems those looking for such are asking about it and throwing out this vague "diversity".

Like I've said, those asking for this broad diversity seem to be white people with esteem issues for the most part.
I think it depends on the locality and the person's perception of diversity. For instance, the Southeast is majority white with a high number of blacks and tiny percentage of Hispanics and Asians. A black-white couple wouldn't expect a neighborhood to have lots of Asians and Hispanics, so when they use the word "diverse" they're really talking about a black-white mix, a neighborhood neither lily white nor jet black. I have seen Canadians on the C-D forums insisting that their country is "diverse" because of immigration which is still under 10%, and the subethnic groups of different whites. But to us as Americans they aren't diverse at all.

True about the restaurants, but this is a secret those of us in big cities with large ethnic populations know!

Old 08-31-2016, 05:01 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misanthrope83 View Post
Nope. If you read farther you will see I stated I enjoy being around my own people. People I share a culture/heritage/language with. On top of the fact the reason the schools suck is because 70% of the students don't understand English in ANY form....The crime FOLLOWS these people. It did not affect me when we lived in the smaller town.
Didn't see it until after I replied.

70% seems awfully, awfully high. Are you near the border or something?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see youre in Georgia.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:09 PM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times
I have not read any of the other posts, but my take is that either they (people who are looking for a "diverse" neighborhood) are either not part of the majority or else they just want to live in a neighborhood with various cultures (i.e., they would be bored living where everyone is the same race, religion, etc.).

Personally, I don't think anything in that regard is wrong -- with either wanting to live with other people like you are OR wanting to live in a neighborhood with lots of different "types". (I am definitely against both forced integration and forced segregation, however! People should be able to live wherever they want that they can afford.)

Last edited by katharsis; 08-31-2016 at 05:17 PM..

Old 08-31-2016, 06:29 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
My criteria:

* low crime, very low

The rest is whatever. I haven't the foggiest idea why "diversity" would be a priority for anyone in picking a place to live. But to each his own.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:46 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,854 times
This is the order in which I decide where to live:
1. Cost - Can I afford to live here? If not, nothing else matters.
2. Crime rate
3. Proximity to job
4. Proximity to everything else, including different types of restaurants.

Racial demographics is not a factor.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:26 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,743,613 times
Neither. "Diversity" is everywhere to people who aren't racists or elitists of some form or another. EVERY human is unique, therefore if you are around humans, you ARE experiencing diversity, even if they are all "white" or whatever arbitrary category of human

So I would say that people that seek "diversity" don't recognize that everyone is an individual and they see people as monotonous elements of fictional homogeneous "groups" that don't even exist. Basically, they are ignorant to reality.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:30 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Exactly. I get the sense, and I could be wrong, that most white people seeking out a diverse neighborhood feel it is a status symbol - "Look how diverse and open minded I am. I embrace diversity."

Like I said, you don't need to live in a diverse neighborhood to look past race, learn about other cultures or to be friends with people of other ethnicities. It almost seems that striving for that diverse neighborhood gives an excuse to actually make any effort to expand your horizons.
Personally, I think it's more important WHY an area is diverse or not than how diverse it is.

For example, being from the Midwest, there are a lot of small towns that are almost exclusively white because that's how historical settlement patterns worked (and because of sundown towns, but mostly because of economic reasons.) Many of them have small black, Hispanic, and Asian populations that fit in just fine. I'd have no problems living in a town like that; in fact, I've worked in them before and sort of live in one now. It's cool.

My observation is that if a neighborhood is intentionally 95% white and the surrounding area clearly is not, then there are likely to be attitudes present in that neighborhood that I would rather not associate with. In that case, I'd rather look for a "diverse" neighborhood where "keeping the minorities out" is not a priority of many of the residents. I'd feel the same way about a mostly black or Hispanic neighborhood for the same reasons. So it has nothing to do with being a "badge" for me.

Old 08-31-2016, 07:35 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Neither. "Diversity" is everywhere to people who aren't racists or elitists of some form or another. EVERY human is unique, therefore if you are around humans, you ARE experiencing diversity, even if they are all "white" or whatever arbitrary category of human

So I would say that people that seek "diversity" don't recognize that everyone is an individual and they see people as monotonous elements of fictional homogeneous "groups" that don't even exist. Basically, they are ignorant to reality.
So you want folks to get to know individuals and learn about them thru conversations?

But who will I fear, hate, and sic the State on as I blame the "other" for all the troubles in the world?

Old 08-31-2016, 07:36 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,976,309 times
Diversity of a neighborhood is a huge factor in choosing a neighborhood.

I love a community where people are different racially. I'm not writing about a place where everyone pulls into their garage and shuts the door. There has to be a sense of place and community to go along with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies