Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 03:12 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,510,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
LMAO, yea, broke and standing there with it's hand out, begging for federal help. They taxed their own citizens all they can, and need to dip into the rest of the states money to try and 'fix' it. Independent minded states are not part of the new federal plan. They won't be happy till all the states are totally at the mercy of DC. Been heading further down that road for quite a spell now.
Even Hollywood is increasingly going outside of the state for filming, etc., because of the cost of doing business in CA. That says a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 03:28 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Even Hollywood is increasingly going outside of the state for filming, etc., because of the cost of doing business in CA. That says a lot.
Indeed. Business is leaving the Golden State in droves. I don't know how anyone can make it there these days. Prohibitive cost of living, and taxes that just kill you. CA is not going to last very much longer at the rate they are going. Next they will try and make laws that make it illegal for a business to leave. I would not put anything past those loons.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:30 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,070,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
And CA has what to show for it? Being broke? MT has been held back by the feds owning so much of its resources, but it's not broke like CA.
California's not close to broke. They have a dysfunction state governance. They can easily pay their debts. They just have to raise taxes.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:46 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,231,983 times
Montana isn't all bad. At least they understand that the wolf population does need to be controled and allow some hunting of wolves.
They get points for that.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
California's not close to broke. They have a dysfunction state governance. They can easily pay their debts. They just have to raise taxes.
I detect an odor of alcohol. CA's not broke aye? Can easily pay it's debts by just raising taxes you say? Uh huh, what an incentive to move a business to CA. Pay out 80% of the bottom line so the state can keep funding social programs. By the way , raising existing taxes is just the tip of their proverbial spear, they are creating a whole new class of taxes as well. There is NOTHING that gets sold or bought in CA without a tax on it, no money changes hands , for any reason, that the state is not there wth it's hand out. It is the most taxed to death populace in the US, and all they have to do to sustain this is tax a little more you say? Such idiocy as this is going to bury this country, CA is just the beginning.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:26 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,472,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post

Likely to happen? No. Possible? Absolutely.
Dream on....

Old 11-02-2009, 04:27 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,472,910 times
I propose we arm all bears in Montana. Not the log cabin GOP types either, I mean real bears.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:19 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,169,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
CA already raised taxes, and now has one of the highest tax burdens in the U.S. Sales tax went up, vehicle plates went up, and guess what, it didn't help, because the Democrats in the CA legislature never met a spending proposal they didn't like. A year ago I watched them in action for 3 weeks, and the Dems voted for EVERYTHING that spent money, without exception, no matter how frivolous or how tied into special interests.

Meanwhile, they've shut down water to the farmers in the delta in the name of preserving fish that may not even be native; unemployment in that area is consequently around 40% (yes, FORTY percent).

Yep, higher taxes, just what we need, especially since we can count on CA state gov't to spend our tax dollars so wisely.

Of course, I'm sure the proposed 55% CA state tax on "wealth" (yes, there really was such a proposal) would solve the problem ... provided they just confiscated everything at the border when anyone with the means to do so leaves the state.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
CA already raised taxes, and now has one of the highest tax burdens in the U.S. Sales tax went up, vehicle plates went up, and guess what, it didn't help, because the Democrats in the CA legislature never met a spending proposal they didn't like. A year ago I watched them in action for 3 weeks, and the Dems voted for EVERYTHING that spent money, without exception, no matter how frivolous or how tied into special interests.

Meanwhile, they've shut down water to the farmers in the delta in the name of preserving fish that may not even be native; unemployment in that area is consequently around 40% (yes, FORTY percent).

Yep, higher taxes, just what we need, especially since we can count on CA state gov't to spend our tax dollars so wisely.

Of course, I'm sure the proposed 55% CA state tax on "wealth" (yes, there really was such a proposal) would solve the problem ... provided they just confiscated everything at the border when anyone with the means to do so leaves the state.
I would not put ANYTHING past the CA legislature. I look for a 'penalty' tax' or some such drivel for businesses trying to leave CA soon. Taxes are their answer to everything. Tax like hell and throw money at it is the end all be all solution. The Feds are getting just as bad, It's no wonder talk of secession is being tossed around.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:01 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,070,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I detect an odor of alcohol. CA's not broke aye? Can easily pay it's debts by just raising taxes you say? Uh huh, what an incentive to move a business to CA. Pay out 80% of the bottom line so the state can keep funding social programs. By the way , raising existing taxes is just the tip of their proverbial spear, they are creating a whole new class of taxes as well. There is NOTHING that gets sold or bought in CA without a tax on it, no money changes hands , for any reason, that the state is not there wth it's hand out. It is the most taxed to death populace in the US, and all they have to do to sustain this is tax a little more you say? Such idiocy as this is going to bury this country, CA is just the beginning.
I just point out to you that California's economy is still growing at annual rates that are comparable to the total size of Montana's economy. What about "growing economy" is hard for you to understand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies