Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 08:42 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,287,874 times

Advertisements

This country is filled with historical events that of course should never be forgotten. 9/11 is most definitely one of those events that has had a major impact on the future of the country once it occurred. We can say that about the Civil War, MLK, JFK. In different degrees weather events like Katrina and Sandy impacted as many lives as 9/11, if not more. We fear terrorism now more than ever on US soil, and 9/11 is the obvious catalyst of that fear, so by default it's near impossible as an American to forget 9/11.

I understand the importance of the day and I do somberly reflect the thousands of lives that were lost and the ingrained visions of that morning. But it seems to me as each year passes, the general message of never forget almost seems like a plea out of fear that we will forget. Why is there such a strong assumption with 9/11 about forgetting, at least in the message I hear annually?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 08:52 AM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
You raise a good question but I really do not know the exact answer.

But I can say part of it maybe the cruel nature of the attacks, including the way it was done. Deliberately killing all those people, including women and innocent children, on the those planes for instance.

Another was the possible death toll. I remember thinking that when the towers fell tens of thousands of people just died. We know now of course about 3,000 people died, horrible enough but the thought that it could have been in the hundreds of thousands if say the buildings collapsed on other buildings in the City in some kind of chain reaction is shocking.

Old 09-11-2016, 08:52 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,566,860 times
It is a day unparalleled in recent history.

We shall never forget!

Old 09-11-2016, 09:00 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,223,170 times
For all of us it should always be NEVER FORGIVE!

Remember who our enemy is and never let your mind forget who they are. Islam is a death cult and sharia is their guide.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:02 AM

24,502 posts, read 17,245,671 times
You and I are old enough to remember that terrible morning when those planes were used to murder but that was 15 years ago. There are now kids in high school that are learning about our History and they were not even born yet.

History is easily forgotten or worse misinterpreted as we have seen when the Confederate flag became a symbol of modern day racist hate and anything that had to do with honoring Civil War Heroes was taken down. It even went as far in the South to rename parks and streets.

Think about WW2. Every year there are fewer and fewer people that lived through that terrible time.
The only thing that many people now have to remember that War by and its suffering are movies.

Many people today live in the electronic world of the now. They know more about what Kim Kerdashian had for lunch yesterday than they know about our countries History.

There is that saying that those who forget (or ignore) history are doomed to repeat it and it's mistakes.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:05 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Wait 1000 years, if Radical Islam terrorists behave, then people would forget. It is human nature.

People will always talk about ww2 although most of the people went through that are now dead.

IT IS HUMAN NATURE. Nothing to complain about it. It is what it is.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:06 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
This country is filled with historical events that of course should never be forgotten. 9/11 is most definitely one of those events that has had a major impact on the future of the country once it occurred. We can say that about the Civil War, MLK, JFK. In different degrees weather events like Katrina and Sandy impacted as many lives as 9/11, if not more. We fear terrorism now more than ever on US soil, and 9/11 is the obvious catalyst of that fear, so by default it's near impossible as an American to forget 9/11.

I understand the importance of the day and I do somberly reflect the thousands of lives that were lost and the ingrained visions of that morning. But it seems to me as each year passes, the general message of never forget almost seems like a plea out of fear that we will forget. Why is there such a strong assumption with 9/11 about forgetting, at least in the message I hear annually?
It is not near impossible. History is often forgotten, and that is why it repeats itself. On 9/11 our guard was down because the thought of such an atrocity happening never entered our minds, even though terrorists tried to bring down the World Trade Center not even 10 years earlier. The same threat is still out there, and the call to remember 9/11 is merely a call to stay vigilant. Not to let our guard down again. We need to keep the memory alive for the people who were not even born yet in 2001, and their children after them. They will be running the country one day, and it is very easy to become complacent.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:11 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times
Never forget that 9/11 is the most recent and best example of how powerful of control of things the elite have... they can write history to their script and the people will be none the wiser. History is written by the victors and most of recorded history is biased and corrupted. Control the information and you control the people... this is a long practiced method of control that dates back to the dawn of modern civilization.

If you really think terrorist passports would magically survive the explosion of a plane and magically be found among the rubble of the buildings to identify the terrorists I have a bridge to sell you.... or if you think building 7 came down because of a fire and happen to implode nicely into it's own footprint like you'd see in a controlled demolition.... but it's not something I really think much about anymore... what's done is done and history is written... no points in getting worked up about it, which I'm not.. I'm being logical and telling a potential version of events that may or may not be true.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:25 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
"What difference, at this point . . . ?

Old 09-11-2016, 02:28 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,463,832 times
History tends to repeat itself....know your enemy, remember what they did.

IMO 9/11 and 12/7 should be national holidays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies