Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 01:16 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,591,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Are you claiming that the contractors who DID build the NEW building did NOT make a profit?

That ALL those true blue American union members worked for NOTHING?

Sometimes you makes sense.

Other times you are just plain silly.

The OP claimed Trump "bragged".

Please provide where he "bragged".
Do you have reading comprehension issues? Or perhaps nuance is not your strong suit. 3000 people were murdered and the one thing you want to talk about is the height of your building?

Only conservatives fail to make the connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 01:21 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,296,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Does anyone notice the trend that is evident that this forum is infested with idiots?

Criticize Trump and people say "but Hillary." Criticize Hillary and people say "but Trump."

The candidates are both ****. Accept it people.
Yes!

Old 09-12-2016, 01:49 PM

88,890 posts, read 85,409,710 times
Quote:
Does anyone notice the trend that is evident that this forum is infested with idiots?

Criticize Trump and people say "but Hillary." Criticize Hillary and people say "But Trump."

As for Donald saying this, it's just more of the usual with him. In fairness, the audio cuts out at the end of this. What he says after could be pretty relevant to how this statement it taken. As is, it sounds like he was asked a simple question about if his building was hit then started saying how big his penis... sorry, building is. His habit of giving unrelated answers to questions he was asked goes at least back to 2001, so that's pretty cool I guess.
I am annoyed that I can't rep you again.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:01 PM

78,911 posts, read 61,095,586 times
Number of independent voters swayed by threads like this, or similar crazy attack\context threads about Hillary........zero.

With just two months to go, the amount of crazy is reaching a fevered pitch, god I feel bad for the families of the people that are this invested. They're probably starting to look into elder care facilities or a good divorce lawyer by now.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:04 PM

78,911 posts, read 61,095,586 times
Quote:

Criticize Trump and people say "but Hillary." Criticize Hillary and people say "But Trump."

As for Donald saying this, it's just more of the usual with him. In fairness, the audio cuts out at the end of this. What he says after could be pretty relevant to how this statement it taken. As is, it sounds like he was asked a simple question about if his building was hit then started saying how big his penis... sorry, building is. His habit of giving unrelated answers to questions he was asked goes at least back to 2001, so that's pretty cool I guess.
Yep. The cycle of mindless partisan bickering.

Lol...Trumps habit of giving non-answers sadly makes him more presidential. They're all that way anymore. Denial of the past, outright dishonesty, denial of reality and of course...whatever the hot-button issue is of the people standing in front of them.....is what they're going to fix and their opponent is going to make worse.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:11 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,296,913 times
I wrote this in another thread, seems appropriate here too.

---------------------------------------------------------

That's generally not how it works for most people who idolize or lionize a candidate or party or ideology.

If you've decided to put some political figure up on some pedestal, if you've psychologically annointed them the one who will win and there's a part of you that you're not really conscious of that believes they will smite your tribal foes, the out-groups, if you've been given over to such idolatry, such belief, such Dopaminergic response...

...then this is now part of your belief system. Your brain forms firing patterns that support that particular belief or set of beliefs, and things that reinforce that feel good while things that challenge that feel dissonant and dysphoric. It doesn't matter so much if those challenges come from opinions or facts, you feel under attack, you feel your security is threatened in some way, and a 'fight or flight' response starts to intrude into the workings of your mind.

Most minds, when challenged in such a way, actually seek to strengthen the mental processes that feel good, that release Dopamine -- the held beliefs -- rather than attempt to explore the thought that those beliefs might be flawed or might need shifting. The mind essentially freezes in place, trying to protect beliefs / mental patterns / Dopaminergic responses.

Strong enough evidence can cause a shift -- but it's all relative to the mental chemistry of the individual, the strength of the beliefs, the strength of the counter-evidence.

I think that the evidence that exists thus far falls well short of what would be needed to shift most strong Trump supporters or most strong Clinton supporters. I think the answer is to NOT put candidates or parties or ideologies on these pedestals, to NOT let them turn into a matter of belief. I think that's the only way to try and maintain any sort of objectivity (and sanity). I think the phenomenon of this conversion of party and candidate into belief has been hugely exacerbated by the internet, social media, and smartphones, and that's why we are on average significantly more partisan and divided and biased now. I think this partially explains the rise of the Alt Right and the Regressive Left (and The Horseshoe Theory). I think the freezing of individual minds at the micro level due to how neurons work is mirrored across our country on a macro level due to how individuals work. I think the human brain is a wonder of the universe but is deeply flawed and built on a foundation of extraordinarily counter-productive structures and interconnectivities. I think Artificial General Intelligence (AGI), if it's one day able to be instantiated in programming code, may be vastly more capable of objectivity than anything we've ever experienced. I think ultimately AGI will take over governing decisions and resource allocations.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:11 PM

776 posts, read 583,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
The day after 3,000 Americans were slaughtered by terrorists, Trump was only worried about his own building, and had to brag in an interview that it is now the tallest. You wanna talk about narcissism? This is the most egregious example someone can provide.

What a disgusting human being.

Donald Trump On Twin Towers: 'They Were Not Great Buildings' Until 'Their Demise' | Crooks and Liars
Not happy about this election run at all. Please do me a favor, for your own mental health, stop listening to this man. He is only making all of us more stupid be the day.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:24 PM

88,890 posts, read 85,409,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothere1 View Post
Not happy about this election run at all. Please do me a favor, for your own mental health, stop listening to this man. He is only making all of us more stupid be the day.
Hey, now, I like Donald Trump. I spoke to him on the phone once about two years ago. He told me he thought I was terrific. I like people who think I'm terrific. I got off the phone and told my boss, "I'm terrific. Donald Trump said so."

I would NEVER EVER vote for him, though. But I AM terrific, so he is right about that.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:25 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,998,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My feeling exactly: I don't think he has much class: obviously class and money do not go hand in hand, but I still do not think this statement was meant to be taken the way anti Trump people are taking it. We all know his biggest problem is speaking before he thinks. There are a lot more important things to worry about, other than what he meant and why he said what he did. Let's face it, some people are grabbing at straws now that his ratings are going up. Statements like yesterday are not going to persuade people not to vote for him.
His sociopathy is a big problem though. In full display even in that interview. His ego and narcissism is so extreme its absurd. He simply doesnt care about ANYTHING other than himself and his ego. If his ego is hurt in anyway, we all pay for it with him in charge.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:32 PM

776 posts, read 583,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hey, now, I like Donald Trump. I spoke to him on the phone once about two years ago. He told me he thought I was terrific. I like people who think I'm terrific. I got off the phone and told my boss, "I'm terrific. Donald Trump said so."

I would NEVER EVER vote for him, though. But I AM terrific, so he is right about that.
Well, I said the same thing a year or two ago. That was before I knew it get down to Hillary and Donald. If we continue on this path will we have to revive Hitler and Stalin for 2020?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies