Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which one?
Columbus Day 100 68.49%
Indigenous Peoples' Day 46 31.51%
Voters: 146. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 05:17 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,441,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
There was no genocide, but even if there was "your people" are just as responsible if you live in the US as those with Western European ancestry. You are benefiting from the sacrifices and efforts of W. Europeans the same as their descendants are. You are just trashing western Europeans or at the least favoring your ethnicity.
I don't subscribe to the absurd rationale that the circumstances of anyone's birth make one complicit in genocide. That certainly goes for individuals. And as for collectives, I believe that better relations should be encouraged, with the understanding that the past cannot be undone. As I indicated in an earlier post, European descendants are not going anywhere and will not be leaving the Americas on any appreciable scale. Nevertheless, it is possible and desirable to support the dignity of the remaining Native Americans and their quest in maintaining (what is left of) their heritage.

Old 10-09-2016, 05:35 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,914,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
I don't subscribe to the absurd rationale that the circumstances of anyone's birth make one complicit in genocide. That certainly goes for individuals. And as for collectives, I believe that better relations should be encouraged, with the understanding that the past cannot be undone. As I indicated in an earlier post, European descendants are not going anywhere and will not be leaving the Americas on any appreciable scale. Nevertheless, it is possible and desirable to support the dignity of the remaining Native Americans and their quest in maintaining (what is left of) their heritage.
In a crazy way: about the ONLY thing that will "save" what's left of American Indian culture is to keep hurting their kind so, they'll hold onto their ways for protection. What WILL really "kill off" what's left of the AI's is those people being treated as regular people by us anglo whites, it's called being "loved to death" or something like that.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,541,472 times
You left out option 3:

Thanksgiving... October 10th is Thanksgiving in Canada and it totally makes sense for it to be an American Holiday.

The current Thanksgiving is to close to Christmas and depending on where in the country the weather maybe bad.

The fall colors are reaching their peak and harvests, more time to afford visits to family local or in another state.

With the move create a law that no retail, food or entertainment business can be open from 12:01am til 11:59pm

Thanksgiving should return time with family and friends.

Happy Thanks-O-Ween

Old 10-09-2016, 08:43 PM

62,998 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post

Perhaps you are not aware of the number of Indians and those who are part Indian that resent those of us from European ancestry. It's hard to build a bond when people want to live in the past and hate on the descendants of the Europeans aka the white man who never even played a role in the past. Respect begets respect. Something to think about.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:50 PM

62,998 posts, read 29,178,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayInCA View Post
Just because I'm alive, am I supposed to be grateful that your ancestors spared a few of mine?

How do you know that Packard Fan's personal ancestors killed any Indians? Do you think that all white people are related? Do you think that all the Europeans came here hundreds of years ago and none did in the past 100 years ago well after any conflicts with the Indians? Assume much?

Old 10-09-2016, 08:52 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,228,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
There was no genocide, but even if there was "your people" are just as responsible if you live in the US as those with Western European ancestry. You are benefiting from the sacrifices and efforts of W. Europeans the same as their descendants are. You are just trashing western Europeans or at the least favoring your ethnicity.
What officially happened was an attempted cultural genocide. This means there was an intentional effort by the US government (and other governments; Canada is no less guilty, but we're talking about the US right now) to suppress and destroy a distinct culture. There was forced relocation, seizure of essential resources, withholding of essential resources (one they were taken), forced to assimilate (Native children were kidnapped and forced into schools where they were "civilized") and there were several instances of mass killings via the military.

What about this isn't a genocide to you? What specifically. I want an argument, not meaningless talking points that anyone with a keyboard can produce.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:07 PM

88,624 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
What officially happened was an attempted cultural genocide. This means there was an intentional effort by the US government (and other governments; Canada is no less guilty, but we're talking about the US right now) to suppress and destroy a distinct culture. There was forced relocation, seizure of essential resources, withholding of essential resources (one they were taken), forced to assimilate (Native children were kidnapped and forced into schools where they were "civilized") and there were several instances of mass killings via the military.

What about this isn't a genocide to you? What specifically. I want an argument, not meaningless talking points that anyone with a keyboard can produce.
Can't rep you again, so I'll quote you instead. Sounds like genocide to me.

It did not have to be. In some early instances, there was trade and cultural interaction between Europeans and Indians.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:11 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
What officially happened was an attempted cultural genocide.
No that's what liberals are doing to traditional America today. And they wouldn't even want a treaty to allow traditionalist to have sovereign territory.

A massacre during a battle is not genocide, such as Gen. Custer's companies being massacred with no prisoners taken. Until about 1930s or so the whole world operated under the right of conquest, the Indians did and so did Colonial America and the US. Multiculturalism worldwide was not a policy until after the 1960s or so. The Indians were in general a dangerous enemy to settlers. The first British lost colony in the US around 1587 was probably lost to "genocide" to a tribe. The Indians were recognized as sovereign entities, but since they were outsiders and the conflict was over territory treaties were broken and the US continued to shrink their territory. Keep in my several other countries and Mexico were trying to claim American territory over the years. You are looking back in history with the a modern liberal perspective.

Old 10-10-2016, 05:25 AM

17,009 posts, read 12,602,310 times
Roll eyes at renaming a holiday day. A holiday-light anyway. Most stuff is open.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:43 AM

4,491 posts, read 2,228,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Can't rep you again, so I'll quote you instead. Sounds like genocide to me.

It did not have to be. In some early instances, there was trade and cultural interaction between Europeans and Indians.
Of course it was.

To the other person who quoted me on this, I'll get to you, but a bit later as I have plans I need to attend to in a bit and my response to you will be much longer. But first, listen to my response to this persons final sentence:

History is always over simplified. The American government in numerous instances created contracts with Native tribes then, almost always through dishonest means, abused those contracts and stole more land. Stole. Based on the definition of stole according to contract law. Even in a perfect Libertarian society, the US government violated contracts which would be highly illegal and classified as theft. But what's oversimplified is the numerous cases when white Americans and Europeans had good relations with Native tribes. There are documented letters of American citizens writing to Andrew Jackson telling them how disgusting they viewed his plan to be. So when I hear the conservative "argument" of 'you just hate white people' I just have no choice to but to laugh at the absurdity of that claim. I have an objective view on history. As such, it's dishonest to condemn white people but I feel no shame for criticizing my country, something that is apparently fine to do if the justification for that criticism is a modern Democrat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies