Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 08:27 AM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times

Advertisements

I'm also confused about feminism. Feminism means empowerment of women in positive ways yet we see examples of double standards everywhere such as women who support a candidate that is supposedly pro women yet she accepts millions of dollars from leaders of countries that treat their women like animals?

Hillary has also attacked and destroyed women that her husband molested while out of the other side of her mouth she claims to be a champion for rape victims and urges them to speak out?

I'd rather see a group that promotes "Humanism" where it doesn't matter if you are a man or woman but if you are strong enough and smart enough the sky is the limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 08:32 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkwizitor View Post
Reproductive rights, breast cancer, domestic violence, they already get plenty of attention. Women already get education. Body image, well that's their own responsibility.

Women already get way more than their fair share of attention in many things. Yet they still crave for more. Even children don't demand that much attention.

Maybe it's time for feminists to say thank you to men for creating civilization, pack their bags, and go home. And men really need to stop worshipping women. Women are nothing special.
Well apparently not since there are still many issues and controversy surrounding reproductive rights, there is still much domestic violence and violence against women and breast cancer still effects a great number of our population. As well we still have pressures put on girl for them to look a certain way and maintain a certain weight. Sometimes these pressures result in emotional and psycological issues throughout a persons life and even death.

Why are you so against people helping people?

Its not craving attention. It is drawing attention to women's issues. There is nothing wrong with that. We have special interests groups who job it is to bring attention to a variety of issues.

I believe women were around while civilization was being created. Your attitude is a prime example as to why women need to remain active in maintaining equality. If we allow the general thinking that women, as 50% of our population, are worthless baggage and have not made contributions and been involved and active in society as a whole we could revert back to the days where women were forced into subservience and forcefully prevented from participating in civilization.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:48 AM

[quote=CornbreadFed;45785600]
Quote:
Feminism has had a negative effect on everyone.
What negative effects? How does having the same legal rights and opportunities such as education, employment, pay, credit, etc have a negative effect on EVERYONE.

Quote:
It has hurt women and men, to varying degrees.
How does it hurt men?

Quote:
Reason being the feminist movement never was nothing more than a communist movement in disguise.
Explain how equal legal rights and opportunities and women's' issues is a communist movement. Do you believe that women by virtue of their gender should be under the power and control of men and not allowed to participate in a capitalistic government. What about minorities. Do you believe every individual citizen having the same rights changes capitalism to communism?
Quote:
That is how communists gain power. They align themselves with and claim to fight for an "oppressed" group but really it's just a power move. They want to gain control of everything including your mind and oppress everyone for there own benefit.
Are you saying equal rights = power=control. So prior to the equal rights movement white men were in control of a communist government?

Quote:
I don't respect feminism or feminist because there leaders always have been and always will be communist radicals and there followers are just brainwashed sheep. It has never been about women's rights. I support women's rights so naturally I hate feminism which is a lie that seeks to take everyone's rights.
You support equal rights but hate feminism? You don't think legally being able to vote, own property, have credit, have equal education and employment opportunities is about rights?

Old 10-11-2016, 09:00 AM

32 posts, read 18,699 times
I'm not going to argue with the brainwashed. I could break down each of your points into a 10 page essay filled with nothing but facts and you would probably still end up rejecting reality.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyogaH View Post
Third-wave feminism is simply people who perceive themselves as and/or who want to convince other women they're victims. We have equality now, there is no need for this sudden rise of new, often angry feminism.

- The gender pay gap has been debunked
- The "5 in 1" college rape stats have been debunked
- Women outnumber men in college
- Girls get higher grades than boys throughout school
- Young women earn more than their male counterparts
- Birth control and abortion are widely available
- There are lots of resources available to aid abused or struggling women

There is never going to be a perfect balance between the sexes. There's always going to be things that affect women more than men, but on the other hand men suffer negatively as well but don't have well funded and organized groups fighting on their behalf.

- Men make up 90% of workplace deaths
- Men make up 75% of homeless people
- Men receive harsher sentences than women for the same crime
- Prostate cancer kills at almost the same rate as breast cancer, but it receives half the funding
- Men are not treated equally in divorce or child custody

There's things that suck about being a man and those that suck about being a woman. The difference is there isn't a huge movement trying to convince men they're victims and oppressed.
Yes unfortunately there are those who have the victim mentality but its not just among feminists. Its seem entitlement and victimhood runs rampant in our country at this time.
I agree feminism has accomplished a close of the gender pay gap, has given rise to women receiving higher education and opportunities for career fields not widely available for women and the pay scale to go along with it.
We are still facing obstacles in available birth control especially abortion. and the fact that there are lots of available resources for rape and abuse just indicates that there is still a great need for it. So that issue is far from resolved.

As far as work place deaths, men tend to do more dangerous jobs, police, firemen, military, construction etc. Most of these position are jobs that have recently opened up to women and many women are not physically able to hold down these positions. As well women most often are the ones that take leave from jobs for child rearing responsibilities so they take more flexible positions. I'm not sure how this is suffering negatively for men. The opportunities for less dangerous jobs are available to men.

Homelessness. Its not as cut and dried as 75% of homeless are men. Actually percentages I have seem are more like 44%. Mental illness and incarceration come into play as well. Men are less likely to see help. Also women are more likely to participate in survival sex to secure shelter.

Your other points are very valid. Perhaps men should organize groups to reverse these discriminations instead of blaming feminism, no?

Old 10-11-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornbreadFed View Post
I'm not going to argue with the brainwashed. I could break down each of your points into a 10 page essay filled with nothing but facts and you would probably still end up rejecting reality.
Why dont you try me. If your going to make statements you need to support them or at least elaborate and explain or give real examples or your statements aren't taken seriously.

I guess that is all just your jaded opinion, which you are entitled to, and not actually valid points.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:21 AM

32 posts, read 18,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why dont you try me. If your going to make statements you need to support them or at least elaborate and explain or give real examples or your statements aren't taken seriously.

I guess that is all just your jaded opinion, which you are entitled to, and not actually valid points.
I don't need to explain anything to you. If your walking around blind when the truth is obvious and in your face me telling you about it won't change anything.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
I don't need to explain anything to you. If your walking around blind when the truth is obvious and in your face me telling you about it won't change anything.
That's fine. I just thought you might have had a serious contribution or worthy point for discussion. I was wrong. You were just venting. Peace out.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:50 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,927,027 times
Quote:

You can go your own way
Go your own way
You can call it
Another lonely day…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=clCYmvmpIsA

Old 10-11-2016, 10:18 AM

23,986 posts, read 15,086,618 times
OK, I'll bite.

In my youth, the second wave, women could get a job teaching, working at the bank,secretarial, or cashier. Getting into college was also sometimes a problem because the patriarchal society knew they would marry and have kids. Especially medical and law school.

A single woman working at a bank with an excellent salary could not get a mortgage without
a male co signer on the note.

During the war, women did many jobs that were usually done by men. My mom worked on airplane carburetors. When the war was over they went home so the men could get work.

So, along comes the 60s and 70s. There was the feminist movement. IMO, due to serious observation, there are two kinds of feminists. Those who follow Betty Freidman and Gloria Steinhem. And those who followed Helen Gurley Brown over at Cosmopolitan Magazine.

Betty and Gloria wanted women to get into school, get a decent job and have some control over their bodies. Helen wanted that, too. But she also advocated if men could screw around with impunity, so should women. I told my teenage son to never bring a girl who read Cosmo into my house. He didn't get until his fiancé of two years dropped him the minute another guy with better prospects came along.

There will always be women like Sally Ride who said the feminist movement had nothing to do with her being an astronaut. She changed her mind.

Now while all this was going on Phyllis Shafly was telling anybody who would listen to her to go home and take care of her family. Some of them never asked her who was taking care of hers while she was all over to country telling women to sit down and shut up. I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies