Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2016, 04:41 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,188,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv10334eva View Post
Obesity is a preventable medical condition. I see no slippery slope but making those who will use more in resources pay to do so. Don't want to pay more then don't be obese.
Pregnancy is also a preventable medical condition and males avoid it completely. Childbirth is very expensive, so should women pay more for their medical care than men?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 04:43 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Pregnancy is also a preventable medical condition and males avoid it completely. Childbirth is very expensive, so should women pay more for their medical care than men?
Hey, at 55 I now have maternity care. I don't think I need it though. Gay women don't need it either. But we all have to pay it because there are women who hope to trap their man by getting pregnant but they need someone to pay for the pregnancy.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:55 PM

47 posts, read 20,088 times
Quote:
Yawn... please look at how much obesity costs. You can't win here.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv10334eva View Post
Yawn... please look at how much obesity costs. You can't win here.
4 million births per year at an average cost of about $40,000 comes to $160 billion. The annual costs for obesity-related medical conditions is about $190 billion, so they're very close indeed. It's all the more lopsided when you consider that men account for $0 of the pregnancy costs.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:14 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Prior to 2014, employer group health plans could place preexisting condition clauses for the first year of an enrollees coverage. As of 2014, they are no longer legally allowed to do that. So some pressure to cover preexisting conditions will apply to employer group health plans. Not as much pressure as individual plans, where prior to 2014 preexisting clauses could be part of the contract and last forever.
Federal law long before 2014 precluded employers from disallowing employees with pre-existing conditions.

On the thread, the rate increase is only affecting those who do not get subsidies -- those who are below 400% of the poverty line.

Moreover, the rates are rising because insurance companies overestimated the number of young and healthy people who would sign up for insurance -- basically, people who are rolling the dice that they won't get sick. Those people choose to pay the fine instead.

Congress could have addressed this years ago by increasing the fine, to give a greater incentive to buy the insurance.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:15 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times
People that are single with no kids, are healthy, and work have been getting screwed for years. The people that are healthy and work 60 hours a week are the ones that are forced to contribute the most. I'm pretty sure at my age by now I've raised about 1,000 kids. If you can't afford it you shouldn't be having kids it costs the rest of the country.

Someone such as myself should only be paying about 50 bucks a month for Obamacare if I really had to sign up for it. Why should someone have to pay more just because of all the people on welfare that are sucking the country dry with their 4 kids out of wedlock to 4 different daddies. Then we have the illegal immigrants that cross the border to pop out a baby just to get free healthcare.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
4 million births per year at an average cost of about $40,000 comes to $160 billion. The annual costs for obesity-related medical conditions is about $190 billion, so they're very close indeed. It's all the more lopsided when you consider that men account for $0 of the pregnancy costs.
And women account for $0 of prostate cancer treatment.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
People that are single with no kids, and are healthy, and work have been getting screwed for years. I'm pretty sure at my age by now I've raised about 10,000 other peoples kids. If you can't afford it you shouldn't be having kids it costs the rest of the country.
Except if you are young and get cancer or need an operation or get into an accident. My 23 yr old son needed emergency appendectomy surgery -- at a cost of about $10,000. Fortunately, he was covered due to the ACA.

So here’s what you need to understand. The Affordable Care Act isn't magic, it produces losers as well as winners. But it's not black magic either, turning everyone into a loser. What the Act does is in effect to increase the burden on fortunate people, the healthy and wealthy, to lift some burdens on the less fortunate: people with chronic illnesses or other preexisting conditions, low-income workers.

As a result, 20 million more people have health insurance than pre-ACA.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
And women account for $0 of prostate cancer treatment.
And 100% of ovarian cancer treatment. We could go round and round all day, but the fact of the matter is that socialized healthcare costs are never going to be fair for everyone, so targeting certain groups of people will only lead to trouble.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:30 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times
Quote:
Going by the last time I logged into my online dating site and did a search men account for less obesity-related conditions too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies