Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2016, 08:09 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Except that the ACA required the Medical Loss Ratio / 80/20 Rule: Insurance companies have to spend at least 80% (85% in large group markets) of premium dollars on claims and activities to improve health care quality. That means that they can't earn high profits and give more than 15% of the money to the CEO or shareholders or spend it on advertising.
20% profit for redistributing our money is huge!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 08:11 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Nobody owes you help to insure against your stored up assets.

If you don't want to lose savings, then that's just tough. Your savings are there for rainy days, not just fun things. If you should lose it to ill health, then we're happy to cover you with Medicaid after you're depleted.

Translated: You buy health insurance because want to spend the rest of your savings on cool stuff--then you pay for that insurance yourself.

It's your insurance that's allowing providers to jack up their bills.
May as well just stream line the process and go single payer since many head there eventually.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:17 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
20% profit for redistributing our money is huge!

You do not understand economics. It is not 20% profit. The 80% does not cover the cost of administering insurance, salaries, benefits, etc, for hundreds of thousands working at AETNA, UHC, etc. In the average corp, in any industry, SG&A (Selling, General Admin) costs 10% of revenue.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:19 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,979,590 times
Quote:
May as well just stream line the process and go single payer since many head there eventually.
You still don't get it: You spend your savings first; that's for rainy days as well as sunshine.

We'll provide the safety net after that.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
You still don't get it: You spend your savings first; it's for rainy days as well as sunshine.

We'll provide the safety net after that.

Amen. Single payer will never happen, Thank God. Not much will happen as it takes 60 Senate votes, plus a House majority, a threshold neither party will have ever again, in our lifetimes.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:37 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
What??? Government SCREWED up our healthcare insurance and you want to give them even more power over our healthcare. That's CRAZY!

Old 10-25-2016, 08:49 PM

1,896 posts, read 811,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
What??? Government SCREWED up our healthcare insurance and you want to give them even more power over our healthcare. That's CRAZY!
You want to give it over to the for profit companies? Have people forgotten how bad insurance policies were pre-ACA?

I agree with a previous poster, the biggest issue is how unhealthy America is along with our aging population.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcthunder1945 View Post
You want to give it over to the for profit companies? Have people forgotten how bad insurance policies were pre-ACA?

Most were quite satisfied with their coverage, just as I am.

Of course, medical stuff costs more. Almost 50 years ago, my dad died from a heart attack that today he'd walk away from within days but that is due to amazing technological breakthroughs that cost billions in Research & Development. Your local doctor's office has more invested in machines than the hospital I was born in had. All breakthroughs, but yes, if we want to walk away from what killed the greatest generation, we have to pay for it. Consuelo and Dr. Welby are no longer simply saying "I hope you feel better" and giving us aspirin, while we die. Now they have amazing tools to let us walk away, but it isn't free, nor should it be.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:30 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Federal law long before 2014 precluded employers from disallowing employees with pre-existing conditions.

On the thread, the rate increase is only affecting those who do not get subsidies -- those who are below 400% of the poverty line.

Moreover, the rates are rising because insurance companies overestimated the number of young and healthy people who would sign up for insurance -- basically, people who are rolling the dice that they won't get sick. Those people choose to pay the fine instead.

Congress could have addressed this years ago by increasing the fine, to give a greater incentive to buy the insurance.
Absolutely, positively Wrong. Prior law only made it illegal for employer plans to exclude PEC only past the first year of coverage. I myself even worked for a company, a very large one in fact, that pre-existing applied for the first full year back in 2012 and 2013. I had to fight tooth and nail to get Them to pay my claims because I have PEC myself.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:41 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
You do not understand economics. It is not 20% profit. The 80% does not cover the cost of administering insurance, salaries, benefits, etc, for hundreds of thousands working at AETNA, UHC, etc. In the average corp, in any industry, SG&A (Selling, General Admin) costs 10% of revenue.
Insurance is not exactly the average corporation. They literally shuffle paperwork, and money. My wife just had a major surgery and it was 17K to our insurance company. Or 3.4K in profit. Call it 3K after paying people to shuffle paperwork. Keep in mind-most of the work is done by the biller.

BTW-Think of it this way, insurance companies are in a odd spot, if they pay out more, they make more-so they have a built in desire to make healthcare MORE expensive. BUT..they want to charge less then their competitors....or own the competition OR hospital locally. Either one is a win-win.

Theres some perverse advantages companies can take if they own local hospitals, or have little competition. Or can collude.

In the end.....I place a lot of the blame for these issues being unfixable upon the Republicans. The refusal to pass ANY fixes to it are causing this. Now? we're going to muddle on, and healthcare will become more unaffordable, with more and more dying due to lack of it. The situation will get worse and worse until we elect someone with the guts to pass universal healthcare-destroying the insurance company cartels. EVERYONE will freak out. It will all suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies