Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2016, 05:42 PM

47 posts, read 20,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
4 million births per year at an average cost of about $40,000 comes to $160 billion. The annual costs for obesity-related medical conditions is about $190 billion, so they're very close indeed. It's all the more lopsided when you consider that men account for $0 of the pregnancy costs.
I'd be surprised if the costs were that close, but let's assume they are. And?

You realize that obesity is the main cause for rising mortality during birth? Obesity is responsible for more expensive births.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 05:42 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

Moreover, the rates are rising because insurance companies overestimated the number of young and healthy people who would sign up for insurance --
The Democrats overestimated how many of these people would sign up. They created a mandate with no teeth, the insurance companies have nothing to do with this because they have no choice.

Quote:
Congress could have addressed this years ago by increasing the fine, to give a greater incentive to buy the insurance.
The Democrats should have,of course the bill would have never passed had they done that. I myself and many others predicted this exact scenario we are now in.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:47 PM

34,017 posts, read 17,045,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Bill Clinton on Obamacare

The current system works fine if you are eligible for medicaid, if you are a lowering income working person, if your already on medicare or if you get enough or if you get enough subsidies on a modest income that you can afford your healthcare.

But the people who are getting killed in this deal are small businesses and individuals who make just a little too much to get any of these subsidies. Why? Because they are not organized, they don’t have any bargaining power with insurance companies and they are getting WHACKED why? So you got this CRAZY system where you got where 5 million people have healthcare and you got

people out there bussing it working 60 hours a week wind up with their premiums doubled and their coverage cut in half.

It’s the craziest thing in the world.

He is correct. ACA was a disaster from day 1.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The Democrats overestimated how many of these people would sign up. They created a mandate with no teeth, the insurance companies have nothing to do with this because they have no choice.

The Democrats should have,of course the bill would have never passed had they done that. I myself and many others predicted this exact scenario we are now in.
The Republicans could have put forth their own proposals at any point in the last several decades too. That's what happens when you lead from behind and have no ideas.

Old 10-25-2016, 05:57 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,944,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Its the new insurance companies cash cow. one of my kids premiums went from $570/mo to $980/mo with the same income.

As the NIC in charge walks onto the golf course of life celebrating his accomplishments giving more money to the po people who would not work cuz they was tired.
Except that the ACA required the Medical Loss Ratio / 80/20 Rule: Insurance companies have to spend at least 80% (85% in large group markets) of premium dollars on claims and activities to improve health care quality. That means that they can't earn high profits and give more than 15% of the money to the CEO or shareholders or spend it on advertising.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:01 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,944,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
And 100% of ovarian cancer treatment. We could go round and round all day, but the fact of the matter is that socialized healthcare costs are never going to be fair for everyone, so targeting certain groups of people will only lead to trouble.
It all balances out, that's why it makes no sense having different rates for men and women. Men have greater odds of heart attacks and when have medical pregnancy costs. Overall, it's all about the same.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:02 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv10334eva View Post
The Republicans could have put forth their own proposals at any point in the last several decades too. That's what happens when you lead from behind and have no ideas.
Ah yes pass the blame. The party of No Responsibility

Sorry but the GOP did everything they could to stop it.

You cheered and hooted when Justice Roberts declared it legally in your favor and you ranted about how "racist" it was simply because someone dare call it funny math

The Democrats gave birth to this baby, now they are responsible for it.

This is a problem that the Democrats created

Old 10-25-2016, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Ah yes pass the blame. The party of No Responsibility

Sorry but the GOP did everything they could to stop it.

You cheered and hooted when Justice Roberts declared it legally in your favor and you ranted about how "racist" it was simply because someone dare call it funny math

The Democrats gave birth to this baby, now they are responsible for it.

This is a problem that the Democrats created
Any idiot can tell you what's wrong. That's what the republicans have done. They could have made it work better by expanding Medicaid but nope. Here in Texas we refuse to expand Medicaid while simultaneously having no plan for the largest uninsured population. Your side doesn't even try to fix this country or the states they goven.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:24 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,399 times
Quote:
Any idiot can tell you what's wrong. That's what the republicans have done. They could have made it work better by expanding Medicaid but nope. Here in Texas we refuse to expand Medicaid while simultaneously having no plan for the largest uninsured population. Your side doesn't even try to fix this country or the states they goven.
Then those "idiots" should have never introduced it in the first place, followed by the "idiots" that cheered them on. You baked this cake, so you can swallow it WHOLE. The only ones who attempted to do something constructive about the problem were the GOP. You wanted this cake, so it's yours to choke on *shrug*

Old 10-25-2016, 06:24 PM

46,261 posts, read 27,082,117 times
Quote:
Sure it is. How much does preventable disease cost our healthcare system?
Now now, that is not what I asked. I asked you sure all Americans are obese. I know reading and comprehending is a problem for those such as you.

You see, lefties like to twist change words......

Quote:
I think some of y'all are getting twitchy because you may resemble my comment.
I think someone has no clue what they are talking about and then when they get called out, they, as a normal leftist does, they have to put those people down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies