Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2017, 03:34 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
One study indicated that the common perception of white people is to add 4-5 years to the ages of black youth. That is, white people commonly see a 12-year-old as a 16-year-old and a 16-year-old as a 20-year-old.

Remember that 12-year-old Tamir Rice was intially reported by police as a 20-year-old.

Another study using MRI research discovered that white people commonly did not have an initial perception of blacks as fellow human beings as they did with whites.

In both cases, that tendency could be counteracted by experience and training. There are whites working with the youth in my predominantly black church who don't have a problem guestimating the ages of black youth, and the MRI studies also showed that whites recognized popular black celebrities (like Michael Jordan) as "human" in the same way they did whites.

I found that occurring as well in both school and the military.
I've never heard much of that kind of thinking taking place. Here is one irony. I've always been mistaken as being younger than my age. Alot of this could have been due to being smaller than most kids. I'm 30 and still get mistaken for being 22-25.

I've never heard of that MRI study. And I wonder who got tested. Either way, this happened in South Carolina. Blacks and Whites are likely to see each other because there are a large percentage of Blacks in South Carolina. I've always looked at the race issues in this country in this perspective: Blacks have been looked down on from day one. Not much is scientific about looking down on others/being hateful.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:54 PM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
You know this kind of goes back to the question of should more black artists be taking control of their own craft? Not to go on a "blame whitey" tirade but white men do seem to be the backbone of many of these labels pushing out this garbage passing off as rap today.
More Black people should be taking control of what they are producing. That is just scratching the surface. And it goes beyond music. It should be about producing quality, about putting things out there which are decent. Personally, I'm happy Shawty Lo could not have his reality show on TV. That is the last thing we need. And as a Black person, that is the last thing I want to see.

Old 02-19-2017, 07:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorafan5687 View Post
You know this kind of goes back to the question of should more black artists be taking control of their own craft? Not to go on a "blame whitey" tirade but white men do seem to be the backbone of many of these labels pushing out this garbage passing off as rap today.
Well it was impossible without the access to capital and influences (aka radio stations that were pay to play).

But now the Internet, self-publishing and online radio are democratizing music. It'll happen. It is starting with the explosion of mixtape rappers.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:02 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Well it was impossible without the access to capital and influences (aka radio stations that were pay to play).

But now the Internet, self-publishing and online radio are democratizing music. It'll happen. It is starting with the explosion of mixtape rappers.
I announced back in '85--when CD burners dropped below $500--that "The record industry as we know it is dead." That was obviously premature, and I'm somewhat amazed that the major corporations still have a lock on the industry.

An it wasn't that long ago that the record industry was distributed across the nation. A lot of hearts sank when Motown moved to LA, and not all those hearts were in Detroit. Most of us realized we lost something when that happened.

Old 03-03-2017, 08:28 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,225,500 times
To be honest, I actually like buying CDs. I like reading the credits and enjoy the cover art.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:37 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagers234 View Post
It's funny whoever was talking about black people calling eachother the N word. I was dating a woman who was one of those hardcore feminist types, she tried to equate women and calling eachother the C word with empowerment. And how the black community has been doing it for years. I argued that 1. I never say that and I still view it as an object of racism. She objected and seemed to think she knew more about it than me even though she wasn't even black.

It brought me to a bigger element in America. It seems that the only black perspectives that make it front page are the ones that are negative, most of these black men calling themselves the N word are not educated and don't serve as a model for where I think the black community should aspire to.

But this is still passed off as Black culture, nice. We own gangster rap, sagging pants, Kodak Black, and any other kind of negative bullcrap out there. Im a music hound, what about the amazing performers such as Gary Clark Jr, Aloe Blacc, Donald Glover, the list goes on

I hate playing the race card. But it seems like with people my own skin color seeming to glamorize making a bad name for blacks and with the already existing tension from other races, that blacks with a solid head on their shoulders would do alot of good by establishing some kind of organization or presence in this country that seeks to dispel alot of these negative stereotypes.

Blacks need to actively disassociate with any kinds of these images that aim to bring down the black commmunity.
Please. Malcolm X, Dr King and Medgar Evers were educated, smart, wore suits and were the furthest thing from the negative black stereotype.

And they're DEAD! And they weren't beloved figures before they died.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snagers234 View Post
It's funny whoever was talking about black people calling eachother the N word. I was dating a woman who was one of those hardcore feminist types, she tried to equate women and calling eachother the C word with empowerment. And how the black community has been doing it for years. I argued that 1. I never say that and I still view it as an object of racism. She objected and seemed to think she knew more about it than me even though she wasn't even black.

It brought me to a bigger element in America. It seems that the only black perspectives that make it front page are the ones that are negative, most of these black men calling themselves the N word are not educated and don't serve as a model for where I think the black community should aspire to.

But this is still passed off as Black culture, nice. We own gangster rap, sagging pants, Kodak Black, and any other kind of negative bullcrap out there. Im a music hound, what about the amazing performers such as Gary Clark Jr, Aloe Blacc, Donald Glover, the list goes on

I hate playing the race card. But it seems like with people my own skin color seeming to glamorize making a bad name for blacks and with the already existing tension from other races, that blacks with a solid head on their shoulders would do alot of good by establishing some kind of organization or presence in this country that seeks to dispel alot of these negative stereotypes.

Blacks need to actively disassociate with any kinds of these images that aim to bring down the black commmunity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Please. Malcolm X, Dr King and Medgar Evers were educated, smart, wore suits and were the furthest thing from the negative black stereotype.

And they're DEAD! And they weren't beloved figures before they died.
I think the second quote is non sequitur to the first quote.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:11 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I think the second quote is non sequitur to the first quote.
I don't.

Old 03-04-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't.
A number of years my daughter and I watched a BET program that was self-promoted an extravaganza of modern "African-American culture."

It didn't say anything about Malcolm X, Martin Luther King, or Medger Evers.

It had a lot to say about the greatness of gangster rap, sagging pants, et cetera.

At the conclusion of the program, my daughter said, "I don't think I'm African-American."

And if what that program purported to be African-American culture was true, then she was right. We had raised her into the sensitivities of what we learned as the black cultural mores of the early 60s.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:15 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,225,500 times
BET certainly strayed away from the original format. I'd say around 2002-2003. I miss the days of Teen Summit, Midnight Love, The Jeff Chronicles, Hitlist, and BET Nightly News. That said, I am liking this new show on BET called "The Quad" starring Anika Noni Rose and Jazz Raycole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies