Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 08:59 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,102,029 times

Advertisements

(THE COLLEGE FIX) — For 11 years, Professor Duke Pesta gave quizzes to his students at the beginning of the school year to test their knowledge on basic facts about American history and Western culture.

The most surprising result from his 11-year experiment? Students’ overwhelming belief that slavery began in the United States and was almost exclusively an American phenomenon, he said.

“Most of my students could not tell me anything meaningful about slavery outside of America,” Pesta told The College Fix. “They are convinced that slavery was an American problem that more or less ended with the Civil War, and they are very fuzzy about the history of slavery prior to the Colonial era. Their entire education about slavery was confined to America.”

Most college students think America invented slavery, professor finds - The College Fix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 09:05 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
We tend to discuss it as a very American issue due to the civil war. Kinda sad that the teachers dont cover it in a more general fashion.

The only other way I have seen it discussed was blaming the Africans for it, and ignoring our part in purchasing people. Which was just as bad.

LOTS of history, and only a little bit of time to teach it though.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:06 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times
I think that's a symptom of a poor high school education. Don't they teach about chattel slavery in the other colonies? From what I understand, Brazil was far worse than the United States. And they didn't abolish it until 1888, more than twenty years after our civil war.

And slavery still exists in other parts of the world, like India.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:09 PM

21,480 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
We tend to discuss it as a very American issue due to the civil war. Kinda sad that the teachers dont cover it in a more general fashion.

The only other way I have seen it discussed was blaming the Africans for it, and ignoring our part in purchasing people. Which was just as bad.

LOTS of history, and only a little bit of time to teach it though.
Not "our" part in purchasing slaves. We didn't purchase slaves. People in the distant past did that and have about as much relationship to me as you do. Actually, I have more of a relationship with you since we exist on the earth at the same time.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:10 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Not "our" part in purchasing slaves. We didn't purchase slaves. People in the distant past did that and have about as much relationship to me as you do. Actually, I have more of a relationship with you since we exist on the earth at the same time.
Fair enough, did not intend to imply otherwise.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:18 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,749,491 times
I wish I could say that surprised me, but even 20+ years ago slavery outside of ancient Egypt and the US version were only covered briefly.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:27 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68;46032298[B
]I think that's a symptom of a poor high school education[/b]. Don't they teach about chattel slavery in the other colonies? From what I understand, Brazil was far worse than the United States. And they didn't abolish it until 1888, more than twenty years after our civil war.

And slavery still exists in other parts of the world, like India.
There is only so much you can teach in a day. History is only one subject. Each subject is what, maybe an hour maybe 45 minutes. The entire history of the world just isn't possible to teach. But my son majored in history so he knows things I was never taught.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:31 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
If the Professor and author think that eleven years of teaching equals 'most college students', then they have a problem with math.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:35 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
I'd argue people still don't know what slavery actually is...but that's another issue.

Old 11-01-2016, 09:37 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Context. In the context of these children they have not dealt with it except as a US issue. A few may pick it up from biblical reference...but the there is no particular reason they should be aware of the historical place of slavery.

I would think this is another of those non issues we like to fasten to. A good world history professor should be able to demonstrate that slavery is an ancient custom. The US however had its own variant with the slave as a draft animal.

But I am unable to find a big problem. Those coming out of High School are only barely educated. And if you get to the meat those out of college have a long way to go. But is that wrong in some way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies