Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 09:58 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Context. In the context of these children they have not dealt with it except as a US issue. A few may pick it up from biblical reference...but the there is no particular reason they should be aware of the historical place of slavery.

I would think this is another of those non issues we like to fasten to. A good world history professor should be able to demonstrate that slavery is an ancient custom. The US however had its own variant with the slave as a draft animal.

But I am unable to find a big problem. Those coming out of High School are only barely educated. And if you get to the meat those out of college have a long way to go. But is that wrong in some way?
You make statements like this while labeling other "barely educated"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2016, 09:59 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
You make statements like this while labeling other "barely educated"?
The irony was overwhelming on that one.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
If the Professor and author think that eleven years of teaching equals 'most college students', then they have a problem with math.
He wouldn't need to literally teach more than half of all college students in America to draw conclusions about "most college students", just a fairly representative sample of them.
Quote:
Pesta, currently an associate professor of English at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh, has taught the gamut of Western literature—from the Classics to the modern—at seven different universities, ranging from large research institutions to small liberal arts colleges to branch campuses. He said he has given the quizzes to students at Purdue University, University of Tennessee Martin, Ursinus College, Oklahoma State University, and University of Wisconsin Oshkosh.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:16 PM

21,482 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Fair enough, did not intend to imply otherwise.
I know, just thought I would point out that people of the past should not be judged by the mores of society of our time. One day our own descendants will look at us like we were horrible, maybe for abortion or eating animals or using air conditioning, even though those things are acceptable today by many.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:19 PM

21,482 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
There is only so much you can teach in a day. History is only one subject. Each subject is what, maybe an hour maybe 45 minutes. The entire history of the world just isn't possible to teach. But my son majored in history so he knows things I was never taught.
My daughter took AP World History last year and learned about slavery pretty indepthly. I even learned enough about it in regular history to know it wasn't solely an American problem. If kids didn't learn that in this day and age, it's either a poor history curriculum or they weren't paying attention.

Old 11-01-2016, 10:27 PM

25,580 posts, read 17,298,699 times
I think people actually are as uninformed as we think they are.

My stepdaughter, age 50, missed Abraham Lincoln's birth year by 100 years. (I said 1819 and she tried to correct me by claiming 1919) and thought that slavery was "back in the 30's sometime".

She is a mortgage broker who will make $100,000 this year.

I ran into one of her old teachers last year who remembered my stepdaughter as a "good student".

Old 11-01-2016, 10:28 PM

This is the most amazing claim in the article:
Quote:
Often, more students connected Thomas Jefferson to slavery than could identify him as president, according to Pesta. On one quiz, 29 out of 32 students responding knew that Jefferson owned slaves, but only three out of the 32 correctly identified him as president.
Has it really gotten to the point that Jefferson is known more as a slave owner than as a president and founding father?

Old 11-01-2016, 10:29 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,242,711 times
And some of us STILL think the education system has not degraded into just another Progressive Indoctrination scheme...

Old 11-01-2016, 10:31 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
This is the most amazing claim in the article:

Has it really gotten to the point that Jefferson is known more as a slave owner than as a president and founding father?
At least they aren't confusing him with George Jefferson?

(Wait...they don't who he is either)

Old 11-01-2016, 10:31 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
My daughter took AP World History last year and learned about slavery pretty indepthly. I even learned enough about it in regular history to know it wasn't solely an American problem. If kids didn't learn that in this day and age, it's either a poor history curriculum or they weren't paying attention.
Slavery is only a small fraction of our history. My son took AP history too. Slavery wasn't a part of that. Honestly, why are you leaving it up to teachers. Parents are the first educators. Teach you children and not leave it up to others
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies