Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2016, 07:53 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
(THE COLLEGE FIX) — For 11 years, Professor Duke Pesta gave quizzes to his students at the beginning of the school year to test their knowledge on basic facts about American history and Western culture.

The most surprising result from his 11-year experiment? Students’ overwhelming belief that slavery began in the United States and was almost exclusively an American phenomenon, he said.

“Most of my students could not tell me anything meaningful about slavery outside of America,” Pesta told The College Fix. “They are convinced that slavery was an American problem that more or less ended with the Civil War, and they are very fuzzy about the history of slavery prior to the Colonial era. Their entire education about slavery was confined to America.”

Most college students think America invented slavery, professor finds - The College Fix
I got out of high school in the 70's and likely thought slavery was unique to the US, at the time. No doubt, the same could have been said of those coming out of school in the 60's, 50's, 40's........

Most students have never been are exposed to World History.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2016, 07:54 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
College needs to teach our known history of slavery dating back to biblical times when the Hebrew God outlined rules and codes for slaves including how and when to beat them.

Old 11-03-2016, 07:59 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I got out of high school in the 70's and likely thought slavery was unique to the US, at the time. No doubt, the same could have been said of those coming out of school in the 60's, 50's, 40's........

Most students have never been are exposed to World History.
I guess that annual broadcast of "The 10 Commandments" at Easter fails to tip off a lot of people.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:00 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
At least they aren't confusing him with George Jefferson?

(Wait...they don't who he is either)

This was so sad that I laughed out loud. It's probably true.

I worked with a young woman who said she always mixes up Martin Luther King and Winston Churchill because they were both black guys who got shot.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:05 AM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I worked with a young woman who said she always mixes up Martin Luther King and Winston Churchill because they were both black guys who got shot.
Really sad but ridiculously funny, if true. Good grief!

Old 11-03-2016, 08:05 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:

I have had more than one black colleague who believes whites murdered Malcolm X.

They always look so sad to learn he was killed by some Nation of Islam nuts with shotguns.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
America invented antebellum chattel slavery....and it's an extremely unique form of slavery as slavery goes.

Especially in a nation found on Democratic principles.
The slaveholders did refer to it as "our peculiar institution", meaning it was unique to them.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:10 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,697,603 times
The younger generation and the dummying down of America.
Betcha the same above mentioned students know Brad Pitts favorite color, Kim Kardashian's measurements etc.....

Old 11-03-2016, 08:15 AM

89,049 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
The slaveholders did refer to it as "our peculiar institution", meaning it was unique to them.
Nope. Already debunked by historical FACT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes. Here's what we know for a FACT...
Sources: Emory University and the National Endowment for the Humanities
Quote:

https://www.neh.gov/files/news/images/slavetrade2.jpg

Methodology

Introductory Maps

Old 11-03-2016, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I have had more than one black colleague who believes whites murdered Malcolm X.

They always look so sad to learn he was killed by some Nation of Islam nuts with shotguns.
I was watching something a few years ago about Harper's Ferry and a black man on the show said he had always thought John Brown was black. That startled me a bit. The most intriguing part about the event was that a crazy (maybe, maybe not) white abolitionist tried to raise a black rebellion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies