Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2016, 05:03 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Haiti's slave population so outnumbered the French they were able to revolt and gain their independence. Slaves outnumbered everyone else 10 to 1.

It was nothing unique to the US; it was an Atlantic Slave Trade thing. And yes not only were there more slaves in the Caribbean and South America but those areas were more brutal.
That is flatly untrue. 60% of the new world slaves were in the USA in 1860. More slaves were sent to the rest of the western hemisphere but the US simply reproduced at a higher rate while much of the rest had to import slaves to maintain the population. That is what is different about the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2016, 05:23 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
That is flatly untrue. 60% of the new world slaves were in the USA in 1860. More slaves were sent to the rest of the western hemisphere but the US simply reproduced at a higher rate while much of the rest had to import slaves to maintain the population. That is what is different about the US.
That's because most New World countries were done with slavery by 1860. You're cherry picking a certain statistic. We were very late to end slavery. At that point we were only 5 years from ending it. Pretty sure the only country to last longer than us was Brazil.

If you're looking at how many slaves were IMPORTED we did not get the most. Slaves having babies was kind of out of our control but as far as the slave trade of actually bringing people straight here the Caribbean and South America by far got the most.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:29 PM

52,285 posts, read 52,713,798 times
Pretty scary stuff. I'm completely baffled at the ignorance of people. I'm not a super well read guy, but man. The things I'm hearing and reading lately. I mean slavery has been around in some form or another since man started walking upright. I'm guessing that the people that built the pyramids probably didn't have a union steward.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:38 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,338,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Pretty scary stuff. I'm completely baffled at the ignorance of people. I'm not a super well read guy, but man. The things I'm hearing and reading lately. I mean slavery has been around in some form or another since man started walking upright. I'm guessing that the people that built the pyramids probably didn't have a union steward.
Slavery will probably continue to exist around the world in some form or another as long as there are Homo sapiens sapiens living on it, sad but true.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:53 PM

9,141 posts, read 5,806,242 times
I dunno if anyone mentioned it, but there are more slaves today than at any point in history.

Don't believe it?
https://www.google.com/search?q=ther...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Old 11-05-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
That's because most New World countries were done with slavery by 1860. You're cherry picking a certain statistic. We were very late to end slavery. At that point we were only 5 years from ending it. Pretty sure the only country to last longer than us was Brazil.

If you're looking at how many slaves were IMPORTED we did not get the most. Slaves having babies was kind of out of our control but as far as the slave trade of actually bringing people straight here the Caribbean and South America by far got the most.
Nope.

Dutch Colonies - 1863
Spanish Colonies:
Puerto Rico - 1873
Cuba - 1886
Brazil - 1888

Those remaining after 1850 included a majority of the slave arrivals. The British and French colonies were gone but the remainder had close to 10 times as many slaves landed as the US...yet the majority of the slaves were in the US.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:11 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,996,977 times
Quote:
Nope.

Dutch Colonies - 1863
Spanish Colonies:
Puerto Rico - 1873
Cuba - 1886
Brazil - 1888

Those remaining after 1850 included a majority of the slave arrivals. The British and French colonies were gone but the remainder had close to 10 times as many slaves landed as the US...yet the majority of the slaves were in the US.
Look - when I said "had more" I meant more imports of slaves. They imported far more into the other colonies than the US. Any reproducing was a different thing than bringing people straight from Africa. That's out of the control of the colonists, while they entirely could control how many they imported.

Anyway, YOU were wrong when you said that the US was a "unique situation." It wasn't. Haiti was essentially a country of slaves, like I said they outnumbered the French 10 to 1. They were able to overtake the colonists and gain independence. The entire Atlantic Slave Trade was "unique" in that it was a systematic trading system of goods and people that lasted for centuries. Americans need to know that while slavery was a dark part of our history, we were NOT the only ones to have it, we didn't have the most slaves coming from Africa, and we didn't have the most brutal system. Slavery was not the worst in the US and we certainly did not invent it.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:21 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Ah, I see what you're saying.

USA USA USA we are #1 in EVERYTHING except enslavement!

Why Calling Slaves 'Workers' Is More Than An Editing Error : NPR Ed : NPR

Texas Mother Teaches Textbook Company a Lesson on Accuracy
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/us...s-workers.html
Did you forget who you were talking to?

I'm not interested in the fictional lines on the map or what the State indoctrination centers say about slavery.

I'm talking about the all encompassing enslavement of people that is evil in all forms.

Old 11-05-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I dunno if anyone mentioned it, but there are more slaves today than at any point in history.

Don't believe it?
https://www.google.com/search?q=ther...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Yes and no. How defined? As a percent? In the western world?

Old 11-05-2016, 06:28 PM

9,141 posts, read 5,806,242 times
Quote:
Yes and no. How defined? As a percent? In the western world?
In the world. What is your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies