Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 12:16 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
What kind of education did these kids get in world history? That's where the problem lies. I don't think this is unique to the issue of slavery; a lot of people think many institutions began in or are unique to the United States that aren't.
That is not what is going on. In their context they do not think about it. They don't really think it is USA unique...they don't think about the fact it might exist elsewhere. And the answer is to fix it as they become more educated. Some 8th graders can code. I do not expect high quality coding from most college graduates. Does that imply 8th graders are under educated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 12:40 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Do you have a point? Sure there were other places where slaves were field workers. Start with the Caribbean and South America. But that says our variant was not field workers?

You appear to think you have a point but I doubt it. That our variant was shared does not change our variant.

And you can also go off and point out that slaves in America did many other things. Which is true but not why they were worth fighting over.
Saying that something is our "own variant" implies that is unique to us or that it originated with us. Do I really need to explain that to an adult native speaker of English?

Old 11-02-2016, 06:17 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Saying that something is our "own variant" implies that is unique to us or that it originated with us. Do I really need to explain that to an adult native speaker of English?
Actually our brand of slavery is somewhat unique and originated with us. "Variant" does not require that but it is mostly true. Here is a bit on the question...

https://www.gilderlehrman.org/histor...ve-perspective

Old 11-02-2016, 06:44 AM

21,481 posts, read 10,582,878 times
Quote:
This thread reminds me of the story we discussed here back in March about a Latin club that did a skit about slavery in ancient Rome. Some black parents at the school were livid.

It may not even be possible now in American public schools to educate students about the history of slavery in a world context. Blacks seems to have claimed complete ownership of the topic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-ancient-rome/
I never heard about this, but wth? God, people are so stupid.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:39 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Talking Most college students think US invented slavery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
(THE COLLEGE FIX) — For 11 years, Professor Duke Pesta gave quizzes to his students at the beginning of the school year to test their knowledge on basic facts about American history and Western culture.

The most surprising result from his 11-year experiment? Students’ overwhelming belief that slavery began in the United States and was almost exclusively an American phenomenon, he said.

“Most of my students could not tell me anything meaningful about slavery outside of America,” Pesta told The College Fix. “They are convinced that slavery was an American problem that more or less ended with the Civil War, and they are very fuzzy about the history of slavery prior to the Colonial era. Their entire education about slavery was confined to America.”

Most college students think America invented slavery, professor finds - The College Fix

uh...

Wrong

As that right wing opinion piece even states after its misleading title that successfully sucked you in. it was a survey by a single English teacher in his classes at a small college in Wisconsin.

Reading...

Not a right wing strength.

Well, reading beyond misleading partisan headlines, anyway.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:06 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
it was a survey by a single English teacher in his classes at a small college in Wisconsin.
Nope.
Quote:
...he has given the quizzes to students at Purdue University, University of Tennessee Martin, Ursinus College, Oklahoma State University, and University of Wisconsin Oshkosh.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:07 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
He wouldn't need to literally teach more than half of all college students in America to draw conclusions about "most college students", just a fairly representative sample of them.

Given the number of students in the country, even with eleven years experience, that's not an adequate sample pool.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:08 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,967 times
I wouldnt be surprised if most adults believe the same. Lack of knowledge & interest in countries & cultures outside usa results in this ignorance.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:28 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
it was a survey by a single English teacher in his classes at a small college in Wisconsin.
Small college? UW Oshkosh has an enrollment of over 13,000. Williams College (top ranked liberal arts college in the US), in comparison, has an enrollment of only 2,153. UW Oshkosh isn't small.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:38 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,371,367 times
I have an idea. Lets blame new immigrants for slavery as soon as they get here. That might cut down on immigration. We can put a sign right on the border that says - Bienvenido ex amo esclavo. Pagar reparaciones aqui - (Welcome former slave master. Pay reparations here.)

After all , just ask a liberal. We are a nation of immigrants , who are also responsible for slavery even though they weren't here. They got it all worked out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies