Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 10:00 PM

15,535 posts, read 10,512,774 times

Advertisements

Guys, the final count isn't even in yet. For example, Mecklenburg County NC is counting their absentee ballots on the 15th and their provisional votes on the 18th. The numbers are going to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 10:02 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,458,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
I know everyone keeps pointing to her popular vote lead. However it goes much deeper than what we see on the surface. These numbers don't reflect what really happened. If you look deeper you will find that 6 million people voted for someone else besides Hillary or Trump. I personally believe that many of the independent voters swung more towards the middle rather than voting for Trump. This election was about keeping Hillary out of the White House. Hillary will not get 50% of all the votes cast. Obama was able to get over 50% of the popular vote in 2008 and 2012. This doesn't necessarily translate to more people wanted Obama. It just means that out of the people that showed up and voted more wanted Obama. Same goes for this year. However when I look at the numbers and the states that Trump was able to flip I personally believe that Hillary is the biggest loser in the popular vote.
The problem with your thinking is that if you use 50% as your gold standard... Trump did EVEN WORSE. Hillary got 48%; Trump got 47%.

And you don't post threads about "the fallacy of Trump's election victory," do you?

Old 11-10-2016, 10:06 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
Um no....she did win the popular vote. Of the voters who turned out, she won more than Trump did. End of discussion. That is what "popular vote" means. This is a factual statement. She won the popular vote but lost the election due to the electoral college.

Now would she have won the most votes if voter turnout was 100% instead of 55%? We have no way of knowing...
That's just it, isn't it?
What would the popular vote be if their election relied on the popular vote? There are states where Republicans don't even bother to vote because either the state's going to go entirely Republican or it's going to go Democrat like California. And vice versa.

So anyone complaint about the current voting statistics are fairly irrelevant.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:12 PM

25,776 posts, read 18,840,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridon View Post
She won it. Doesn't matter if mostly empty states vote one way and populations centers vote another.
Last I checked, those 'empty states' are part of the union and have a say in its future just as all states do. If that is not the case, throw the states out of the union. Or would you rather them be ruled tyrannically? The country was designed to avoid mob rule. As we see here, it works. The 'empty states' that comprise the majority of the US did a bit of ganging up on the bloated states that are generally the bullies. Good on them.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:19 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,771,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Guys, the final count isn't even in yet. For example, Mecklenburg County NC is counting their absentee ballots on the 15th and their provisional votes on the 18th. The numbers are going to change.
This is true. You can see constantly updated results here: 2016 Presidential Election Headquarters | Politics | Fox News.

The number of votes in Hillary's lead ebbs and flows, but it has always been in the plus column. The last time I did the maths, she was showing a 388,769 lead in the popular vote.

AND, possibly more importantly for the record books, at this time there are still 20 undecided electoral votes.

It's interesting to follow these statistics. To speak to the inaccuracy of the title of this thread, however, there is obviously no fallacy in the statement that she leads in the popular vote.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:25 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,014,135 times
Who cares if everyone in California and New York voted for her?

She lost the majority of the 50 States and the electoral college.

Trump won, he's President game over

Old 11-11-2016, 12:24 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The problem with your thinking is that if you use 50% as your gold standard... Trump did EVEN WORSE. Hillary got 48%; Trump got 47%.

And you don't post threads about "the fallacy of Trump's election victory," do you?
EVEN WORSE... by 1%. Wow, so much worse.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:28 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
This is true. You can see constantly updated results here: 2016 Presidential Election Headquarters | Politics | Fox News.

The number of votes in Hillary's lead ebbs and flows, but it has always been in the plus column. The last time I did the maths, she was showing a 388,769 lead in the popular vote.

AND, possibly more importantly for the record books, at this time there are still 20 undecided electoral votes.

It's interesting to follow these statistics. To speak to the inaccuracy of the title of this thread, however, there is obviously no fallacy in the statement that she leads in the popular vote.
Actually it hasn't "always" been in the plus column at all for her. I was watching the numbers closely all election night until about 2:30 AM EST. Refreshing reporting pages repeatedly, really obsessively to see who would take what states and what the popular vote was looking like, also seeing both counts on TV. Trump was winning the popular vote all night. Literally from the very beginning, he had an edge over her anywhere from under a million to over 2 million. Usually averaged about a million, little more I would say. She didn't once start beating him slightly until around 2 am. I assume that's when a lot of the West Coast especially CA started rolling in. From the very first states to be called Trump was beating her in both electoral, which obviously lasted all night because he won, to popular. She trailed him until the morning. It was unbelievable.

I kept waiting and waiting for her to soar in the popular vote... and it never happened. She didn't start leading a little bit until very very late, and since then the lead has pretty much been no bigger than maybe 400,000 at the very highest. So far seems to have hovered an average around 200,000. I had fully expected a Hillary win. Basically expected an embarrassment for Trump because that's what the pollsters were saying... but not at all.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:37 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's just it, isn't it?
What would the popular vote be if their election relied on the popular vote? There are states where Republicans don't even bother to vote because either the state's going to go entirely Republican or it's going to go Democrat like California. And vice versa.

So anyone complaint about the current voting statistics are fairly irrelevant.
That's a good point. There were many more Republican states that were solidly Republican and voters probably felt less need to turn out.

Old 11-11-2016, 12:42 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Who cares if everyone in California and New York voted for her?

She lost the majority of the 50 States and the electoral college.

Trump won, he's President game over
Trump overwhelmingly won the vote of multi-generational Americans. That Hillary may have won a few thousand more votes many from people in cities fresh off the boat that don't know America or care for it or maybe fraudulent votes doesn't mean much to me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies