Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 06:55 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
it's actually only about half that. Do the math.
Oh, I have been doing the math. I know just how close it is. My point was that she is not leading by much at all. I think they're still counting, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 07:57 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
That's just it, isn't it?
What would the popular vote be if their election relied on the popular vote? There are states where Republicans don't even bother to vote because either the state's going to go entirely Republican or it's going to go Democrat like California. And vice versa.

So anyone complaint about the current voting statistics are fairly irrelevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
This is meaningless. The candidates played for the electoral vote, not the popular vote. This is like a basketball team claiming that they won the game because they claimed more rebounds than points. They played for points, not rebounds. And the candidates played for the electoral vote, not the popular. And that's that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Sorry, California doesn't get to decide who's President.

Christ you people are dense. AGAIN, I was pointing out a factual inaccuracy. I've already said it once, and I'm not going to keep repeating it just because people are too lazy to read the post history. This thread is about a supposed "fallacy," and there is no fallacy. No one is complaining in this thread, just don't say things that are clearly bull**** and not expect to get called on it. What is everyone supposed to just shut up every time there's a poster who says? "DEAL WITH IT PEOPLE TRUMP WON BECAUSE HE HAD MORE VOTES THAN HILLARY" (which I have seen numerous times on here) or make entire threads like this one about how the whole popular vote thing is just a myth.

It's just facts, plain and simple: Hillary won the popular vote (which has a precise definition not up to debate), and Trump won the election, which is a fair result under our current system. End of discussion, there shouldn't be a debate about facts. If someone says something that's demonstrably false in a thread, well you should expect that statement to get called out.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:58 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Oh, I have been doing the math. I know just how close it is. My point was that she is not leading by much at all. I think they're still counting, too.
It's not a 1% lead. Not sure why anyone is claiming it is.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:53 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It's not a 1% lead. Not sure why anyone is claiming it is.
I guess they're rounding up? Last I checked he was 47.5 she was 47.7. Could be different now though.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:59 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,864 times
Quote:
I guess they're rounding up? Last I checked he was 47.5 she was 47.7. Could be different now though.
The election really was Hillary's to lose!
When you think about it she had the political ads, the MSM on her side, major celebrities at rallies, endorsements, she had everything going for her. Yet, she was beaten by an unqualified real estate tycoon/reality TV star who seemed to be TRYING to lose by the things he was saying throughout the campaign.
...annnd she STILL lost!!

Old 11-11-2016, 09:01 AM

603 posts, read 574,421 times
Discussing the national popular vote for President is sort of like discussing unicorns. It doesn't exist.

We select the President based on the popular vote on a state by state basis.

The system worked like it was supposed to.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:05 AM

649 posts, read 316,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
Exactly. You can't look at these results and say "if it weren't for the Electoral College, Hillary would have won." Maybe, but maybe not. The rules of the game influence how the players play. In a "popular vote winner takes all"' scenario, the candidates would have campaigned differently and many voters would have voted differently. I know I would have voted differently.
Much truth to this post . My state is so solidly one color that I didn't even bother to vote . If the election was decided by popular vote & every single vote actually counted , many , many more people would have voted . It is impossible to speculate in any meaningful way who would have won in that scenario .

Old 11-11-2016, 09:19 AM

10,069 posts, read 7,247,467 times
The presidents that win the electoral college but lose the popular vote tend not to be very good.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:27 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
She won by about 200,000 votes which is INSANELY small. About 120 million voted.
What it does mean is that Trump's mandate is weakened, no diff than if Hillary had been elected.

Both nominees had the highest unfavorable ratings. The election did not change this.

No one goes through the ordeal of a primary and campaign unless they are convinced they can make a positive difference.

Most of Trump's intentions require Acts of Congress and funding.

The Federal Debt did not get much attention during the campaign. Throw the masses a tax cut bone and most don't care about the Federal Debt.

Old 11-11-2016, 09:35 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movingrightalong... View Post
Discussing the national popular vote for President is sort of like discussing unicorns. It doesn't exist.

We select the President based on the popular vote on a state by state basis.

The system worked like it was supposed to.
John Quincy Adams became president even though he lost both the popular vote and Electorial college because neither candidate achieved the minimum. The House voted and elected him by a simple majority.

Can you imagine a similar scenario playing out today?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies