Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 10:32 AM

776 posts, read 746,923 times

Advertisements

I know everyone keeps pointing to her popular vote lead. However it goes much deeper than what we see on the surface. These numbers don't reflect what really happened. If you look deeper you will find that 6 million people voted for someone else besides Hillary or Trump. I personally believe that many of the independent voters swung more towards the middle rather than voting for Trump. This election was about keeping Hillary out of the White House. Hillary will not get 50% of all the votes cast. Obama was able to get over 50% of the popular vote in 2008 and 2012. This doesn't necessarily translate to more people wanted Obama. It just means that out of the people that showed up and voted more wanted Obama. Same goes for this year. However when I look at the numbers and the states that Trump was able to flip I personally believe that Hillary is the biggest loser in the popular vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 10:36 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,575 times
Um no....she did win the popular vote. Of the voters who turned out, she won more than Trump did. End of discussion. That is what "popular vote" means. This is a factual statement. She won the popular vote but lost the election due to the electoral college.

Now would she have won the most votes if voter turnout was 100% instead of 55%? We have no way of knowing...

Old 11-10-2016, 11:25 AM

776 posts, read 746,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK508 View Post
Um no....she did win the popular vote. Of the voters who turned out, she won more than Trump did. End of discussion. That is what "popular vote" means. This is a factual statement. She won the popular vote but lost the election due to the electoral college.

Now would she have won the most votes if voter turnout was 100% instead of 55%? We have no way of knowing...
This graphic should tell you how popular Hillary really was. If you look at it closely Hillary had 6 states that she won where she didn't reach 50% of the popular vote in that state. There were more than enough votes to swing the state the other way. On top of that she lost 3 states that she was supposed to have won handily. Utah was the only state that Trump was expected to win where he got less than 50%. Evan McMullin received 20% of the vote in Utah. I highly doubt many of those voters were democrats as McMullin claims to be very conservative. That cuts Hillary's popularity to around 40K. Remember there were 6 million votes for other candidates. Plenty of room to switch the actual popular vote either way between a two candidate race. There is no way either side would accept a national election with .2% vote lead with more than two candidates in the race. That's why if we had a popular vote for the President you would have to have a runoff if the 3 party vote is within that winning margin. So no I don't beleive for one second that Hillary Clinton won the popular vote. There were plenty of those votes that didn't go her way
Attached Thumbnails
The fallacy of Hillary's popular vote lead-results.png  

Old 11-10-2016, 11:27 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
I don't care. the system we have was designed to prevent mob rule. it works. period move along.

we have a president of, for and by the People.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:01 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,739,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I don't care. the system we have was designed to prevent mob rule. it works. period move along.

we have a president of, for and by the People.
Not complaining, just calling out a factual inaccuracy. I've posted in other threads re: my opinion on the electoral college system though. So you're welcome to view my post history if you wanted to reply to one of those.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:04 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
She won by about 200,000 votes which is INSANELY small. About 120 million voted.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:13 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,345,141 times
She won it. Doesn't matter if mostly empty states vote one way and populations centers vote another. You can try and slice it up any way you want but she won the popular vote. Lost the election. That is how it works, it has happened before and can happen again.

Trump squeaked one out. Good for him. Now he can try and work with the Republican Congress. Let's see what happens.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:19 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,960,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
She won by about 200,000 votes which is INSANELY small. About 120 million voted.

Exactly!!!

Old 11-10-2016, 09:39 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,284,873 times
Here's the reason for the electoral college..

http://www.alloutdoor.com/wp-content...7/counties.jpg

Now.. Assume that you're in one of the orange areas.

Now do you see why there's an electoral college? We're a big country.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:41 PM

2,188 posts, read 1,384,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weaverra View Post
I know everyone keeps pointing to her popular vote lead. However it goes much deeper than what we see on the surface. These numbers don't reflect what really happened. If you look deeper you will find that 6 million people voted for someone else besides Hillary or Trump. I personally believe that many of the independent voters swung more towards the middle rather than voting for Trump. This election was about keeping Hillary out of the White House. Hillary will not get 50% of all the votes cast. Obama was able to get over 50% of the popular vote in 2008 and 2012. This doesn't necessarily translate to more people wanted Obama. It just means that out of the people that showed up and voted more wanted Obama. Same goes for this year. However when I look at the numbers and the states that Trump was able to flip I personally believe that Hillary is the biggest loser in the popular vote.
10 millions more votes do not show that more people wanted Obama ?? This is delusional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies