Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 10:11 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,925,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
What makes you think the Democrats did something wrong? Maybe the Republicans just did something right?
The Republicans appeared to be in complete disarray, many of them were openly endorsing Hillary. I wouldn't say that Republicans ran a good campaign at all, in some form or another Trump somehow managed to offend the majority of the population, and half of the human race when it comes to women, yet Hillary only secured 51% of the female vote! I'm yet to speak to a Democrat who thinks that their campaign strategy was a strong one, they just seemed to think that they had it in the bag.

It's obvious that their strategies at winning over females and Hispanics were not good enough. They were also very poor at energizing the crucial millennial demographic to turn up and vote in high numbers.

Last edited by Razza94; 11-11-2016 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 10:11 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 24 days ago)

29,560 posts, read 16,548,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyTwo View Post
Agree with what you wrote so far.

The other main factor to me is that the democrats have embraced fringe anarchist groups such as OWS, BLM, etc and have become obsessed with blaming white people for everything bad in the country, and straight up refused to acknowledge that today's terrorism is almost solely Islamic.
Donald Trump wanting to tax companies who are leaving, and tax imports sounds like a OWS to me.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:13 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times
Default Wrong Leadership

The not only had a flawed Candidate HRC (Criminal) but the DNC attacked voters. The DNC even cheated their own fellow Dems, during the nomination process.

I has been proven there was a understanding with Sen. Sanders and the others that HRC would be the one in the end.

So in effect the DNC disenfranchised their own. I am sure there will be soul searching and a leadership shake up beginning 2017.

Is the DNC Dead?

No they just have to regroup like the GOP did. We have 4 years to look at the pros and cons!

Old 11-11-2016, 10:14 AM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
There are multiple existing threads on why Hillary lost, this discussion has been done to death.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:16 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
What makes you think the Democrats did something wrong? Maybe the Republicans just did something right?

I don't even agree with that. Left/dems became ridiculously out there from mainstream and they were nasty to a large block of voters who voted blue last election. No idea why they patronized and insulted them constantly and expected a different result. They need to own up and not only embrace them but do an apology tour to middle America and treat with kid gloves/provide solutions. WCM - (White)Working Class Matters.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:25 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Let's not beat about the bush, Tuesday was a disastrous day for the Democratic Party in the United States. They lost the White House, they were beaten in both houses of Congress, they performed poorly in the governship elections, and they have lost their opportunity to nominate at least one Supreme Court Justice.

From my perspective, it seems as though their first mistake was to put forward a highly-flawed candidate who is very unpopular among non-Democrat voters, and is renowned for being a poor campaigner. It seems as though they chose a candidate whose "time had come" rather than someone who had a realistic chance of winning over the country. Secondly, in order to win an election you need to win over moderates and people from the other side. I don't know about you guys, but suggesting that those who don't agree with you are unintelligent, racists, or "deplorables" does not seem like good strategy to me. We saw it over here in the UK during the EU referendum, voters do not respond well to being patronized, and they will make their displeasure clear via the ballot box.

Personally, I think the second point is of more concern since it doesn't just effect this election, it has already contributed to the liberal establishment suffering damaging defeats this year, and may lead to more defeats for the progressive movement in the future. I think the Democrats and other progressive parties desperately need to find a way to alter their tone in order to appear less sanctimonious towards voters.

These are the two major reasons from my point of view, of course you're free to disagree. I am interested in hearing your suggestions for what the Democratic party needs to do in order to regain its appeal in time for the midterm elections in 2018, and the next Presidential election in 2020.
Agreed....especially the part I bolded and underlined in your post above. I think that is what actually pushed me over the edge and into voting for Trump. I'm sure some of Trumps voters were deplorable...but trust me, the right doesn't have the lock on deplorable people. I've experienced enough unintelligent, racist and deplorable people on the left as well. And, I might add, typically they are the quite loud about it.

I personally discussed the Trump/HRC election with quite a number of people I'd call successful, normally well adjusted people....all employed and working hard to keep their family's needs taken care of. Some were HRC supporters, some were Trump supporters. One thing that was loud and clear however.....in all cases, the HRC supporters were much louder and more willing to vocalize their support for here, whereas the Trump supporters were more quiet about it.

I think this is how the left got sandbagged in this election. You call half of Trump supporters deplorable, unintelligent, backward morons.....well who wants to admit to being that when the pollster calls, or your Hillary supporting neighbor or co-worker asks you who you're supporting ? The left made it uncool, backward and stupid to support Trump, and then asked you who you were supporting ? Hmmm, how stupid is that ? They believed their own PC garbage, and lost the election.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:25 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Simple.

Dems got power drunk and went off the deep end. (Remember "elections have consequences?)

They pulled so far to the left that they forgot basic physics.

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

The pendulum has simply swung back.

Liberal SJW types who accused anyone who disagreed with Obama's policies of racism, helped elect Trump just as surely as if they had voted for him themselves.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:26 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,808 times
Common sense gun control and caring more about Central American workers than American workers.

That and not putting a black guy ( yes guy no woman please ) for President.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Move away from identity politics, move towards populist working class economic issues.

The dems lost the election by a few thousand votes in a few states, and won the popular vote by 200K.
You make sober points, but I wouldn't place too much emphasis on this. This populist vote is pretty irrelevant considering how the electoral system works, and it seems as though Trump may actually win it by a fraction when the final votes are counted.

Last edited by Razza94; 11-11-2016 at 10:39 AM..

Old 11-11-2016, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
The not only had a flawed Candidate HRC (Criminal) but the DNC attacked voters. The DNC even cheated their own fellow Dems, during the nomination process.

I has been proven there was a understanding with Sen. Sanders and the others that HRC would be the one in the end.

So in effect the DNC disenfranchised their own. I am sure there will be soul searching and a leadership shake up beginning 2017.

Is the DNC Dead?

No they just have to regroup like the GOP did. We have 4 years to look at the pros and cons!
She obviously lose the Bernie crowd. It doesn't surprise me given the way that process was clearly fixed in Hillary's favor from the very start. Poor old Bernie didn't stand a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies