Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 01:54 PM

1,285 posts, read 592,362 times

Advertisements

ObamaCare isn't the liberals, it's from the "New Democrats".

New Democrats:
Centrist Democrats, Clinton Democrats or Moderate Democrats, are a relatively conservative ideological faction within the Democratic Party

Old 12-22-2016, 02:39 PM

1,850 posts, read 821,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Still be better than leaving people to die in the street. Maybe not for libertarians, but IMO.
Also in most docs and hospitals opinions.
That's actually not true. If it was "most docs and hospitals opinions," then they'd just take care of the people without a law. See, that's your problem right there. You and other liberals keep claiming that "most" or "the majority" or "everyone" agrees. But then you tacitly add "...which is why we need laws that force them to do it." Which makes zero sense.

Old 12-22-2016, 02:56 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,477,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
That's actually not true. If it was "most docs and hospitals opinions," then they'd just take care of the people without a law. See, that's your problem right there. You and other liberals keep claiming that "most" or "the majority" or "everyone" agrees. But then you tacitly add "...which is why we need laws that force them to do it." Which makes zero sense.
No EMTALA and yes people literally can die in the streets. Been there. Seen it tried. I served on committees many years ago promoting and supporting what turned out to be EMTALA. There is no other way to ensure the protection of our public. Hospitals learned quickly that EMTALA was actually in their best interest, as resultant lawsuits are much riskier and costly.

I have known a lot of docs through the years and most all support EMTALA. A situation where we have had to ignore the libertarians among us.

SERMO: The #1 social network for doctors, the online doctor

Old 12-22-2016, 03:00 PM

1,850 posts, read 821,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
No EMTALA and yes people literally can die in the streets.
a) Sure, I wasn't debating that. I was saying that if physicians and hospitals support the concept of EMTALA, they wouldn't need it as a law. That's fact. They would just do it.

b) BTW, before EMTALA, oddly, people weren't dying in the streets. This whole "dying in the streets" line is used every time a liberal wants to discuss healthcare. That was the line used for Obamacare. "We need Obamacare ...OR PEOPLE WILL DIE IN THE STREETS!!" Oh, where are those bodies currently? "You just don't see them, but I know they're there!!!" Oh, OK.

c) Instead of dying in the streets, now most people die in hospitals (fact). That's an upgrade, I guess. Because, you know, when you're dead I guess you care where your body is found.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:54 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,477,217 times
Quote:
a) Sure, I wasn't debating that. I was saying that if physicians and hospitals support the concept of EMTALA, they wouldn't need it as a law. That's fact. They would just do it.

b) BTW, before EMTALA, oddly, people weren't dying in the streets. This whole "dying in the streets" line is used every time a liberal wants to discuss healthcare. That was the line used for Obamacare. "We need Obamacare ...OR PEOPLE WILL DIE IN THE STREETS!!" Oh, where are those bodies currently? "You just don't see them, but I know they're there!!!" Oh, OK.

c) Instead of dying in the streets, now most people die in hospitals (fact). That's an upgrade, I guess. Because, you know, when you're dead I guess you care where your body is found.
a) Before EMTALA enough hospitals, ER's and docs didn't want to the work gratis, so that endangered the public. If EVERY hospital, ER and doc worked in the public's best interest we would not need EMTALA. But does that sound realistic to you?

b) Yes they were. Before EMTALA women in active labor could be sent away if uninsured. I never personally saw someone actually die there, but I have plenty of close enough experience. One time I brought in a person to an ER, he had fallen into a snowy street unable to get up. The ER literally wheeled him out, and dumped him out into another street. I then took him to County as he was uninsured. At times when serving positions of medical authority I have had to discipline docs post-EMTALA, as they were seriously shirking their medical duty and placing patients at risk.

c) Most people seriously ill or injured end up in hospitals. And those are the people most at risk for imminent demise.

Old 12-22-2016, 05:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:

a) That's the position of Libertarians on most human rights issues. "We don't need a law. People will automatically do what's right". Sure! That was Barry Goldwater's position on the Civil Rights Law. History is full of examples to the contrary.

b) Yes, they were. I have heard of people dying literally in front of hospitals.

c) That's clever, not! It's pretty degrading to die in the streets. You'd probably care in the period leading up to the death. Do you have no humanity at all? You're not a very good spokesperson for Libertarianism.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:21 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,905,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I forgot - NJquestions would not "legislate" but instead turn healthcare rationing over to the "free market."

Fine. But the ACA (which does cover preexisting conditions) attempts - in part - to create a free market with the exchanges.
I guess, if you want to say a zoo animal is free as long as it accepts the confines of its cage. /boggle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies