Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2016, 05:08 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
And hand grenades too. The 2nd amendment just says "arms". It doesn't specify guns only. Hand grenades were around at the time of the 2nd amendment.

Its time we can buy guns and hand grenades.

Exactly... it is not specific... Why you ask. Because the founders knew, the government / military would eventually have better weapons than the people. The people were to have the very weapons as a government that had the ability to become tyrannical. They knew government always wants more and more. Liberties taken over and over. Read some of Madison, Jefferson, Franklin, Adams. These men were ruthless & relentless to anything oppressive and bullying.

Watering the tree of liberty with the blood of patriots & tyrants is very powerful in the intent of the 2nd amendment. If the government is more powerful and has more firepower than the people, then it is game over and the Constitution is just an illusion.

McDonald v. Chicago, nullified all gun laws ever made.. Everyone of them. The media will not tell that, and the government surely won't.
Most gun laws are based on Supreme court rulings made right after the end of the Civil War, and on the pretense the US Constitution was for the federal government didn't apply to the states. Because many states didn't want to let Freemen, their 2nd amendment rights. The Supreme Court ruled it was a 10th amendment issue.(cannot be. It is the 2nd amendment and describes what, why and what with, and forbids any legislation to alter it) The 10th say if it is not in this constitution it is a states issue. Well there it is, in the constitution.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:08 PM

19,722 posts, read 10,128,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
And flame throwers and shoulder mounted rocket launchers and what the heck why not nukes too?
You can buy flame throwers at our local gun store now.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:11 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
Now that Trump won we need to push for laws protecting our constitutional rights. For far too long we've been on the defensive preventing things like the "assault" weapons ban. Which is good, but now its time to strike back at the anti gun agenda. Starting off with taking suppressors (silencers) off the NFA list. There's already a bill in the works (the hearing protection act) to do just that.
we need to get us some assault legislation

Old 11-15-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperOscar View Post
Can someone own a gun in California? If so, then they still have the right to keep and bear arms.

This is the ignorant thinking that takes your liberty!

Ya, my government thinks they can ban all guns but a Daisy air rifle and still say, they didn't take my right to keep & bear arms. I can still have a gun.
The freedom then becomes, take it or leave it... you still have a choice and your right is still there if you want it.

Liberty is, unlimited choices to choose from.
Freedom is, your ability to choose for yourself, from all the unlimited choices.

They may not take my freedom, but my liberty is all but gone, as they take and narrow all my choices away.
Then many things, they now make the choice for me and take my freedom.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:24 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,121,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I'm a gun owner.

It's time to ban assault weapons. They are only used as mass killing devices. Ordinary law abiding citizens don't buy them.
Excuse me? I'm ordinary and have four ARs. Three .556, and the new Windham 7.62. Each with a visual theme.
You would be impressed.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I'd like to see rights restricted unless a person is in a well-regulated militia.

LOL.

I mean, that's what's right there in the Constitution, after all.

We are all in the militia if we want to or not. Even felons and the mentally ill, as long as they walk freely on the street and not incarcerated.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Let's see if you mean for that to apply to ALL citizens.

Do you? I mean, if your black neighbor or your Latino neighbor or your Indian neighbor or your Chinese neighbor wants to walk up and down the street with a hand cannon hanging out of his pocket or a Mini-14 strapped to his/her back, that's cool, right?

How about that nice group of young men who are nonwhite that congregate at the local basketball court? You ok with them all being armed when you take your kid to slide on the sliding board?

I mean, yeah.... you'll be armed to the teeth, but there are more of them.

I really do think people love the idea of heavy arms until people who make them uneasy are packing.

When government throws away all their arms, we can talk

Old 11-15-2016, 06:05 PM

979 posts, read 490,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
This is the ignorant thinking that takes your liberty!

Ya, my government thinks they can ban all guns but a Daisy air rifle and still say, they didn't take my right to keep & bear arms. I can still have a gun.
The freedom then becomes, take it or leave it... you still have a choice and your right is still there if you want it.

Liberty is, unlimited choices to choose from.
Freedom is, your ability to choose for yourself, from all the unlimited choices.

They may not take my freedom, but my liberty is all but gone, as they take and narrow all my choices away.
Then many things, they now make the choice for me and take my freedom.
I actually didn't give my opinion on the topic, I was just stating what the ruling was about, so I don't see how that can be ignorant. California gun laws have so far been ruled constitutional because it isn't a ban on all guns, so one still has access to guns. You are more than welcome to disagree with that, you are within your right to do so, and I am not in a position to tell you if you are right or wrong because I don't have the answer on this.

I can say I am in favor of background checks and safety training. I own a handgun and a few rifles and have preformed a background check for each purchase and have done several gun safety training classes that have been very beneficial to me.

Old 11-15-2016, 06:10 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post

As sad as that is do you know just how many children die from pools and cars? And when you consider the fact that there are about 400 million guns and at least 80 million gun owners 265 isn't a statistical concern.

So, if there were a way to prevent your child's death, or the death of a loved one's child...or god forbid it should happen...the solace is "don't sweat it; little Billy's death is just a statistically not significant event?"

Tell that to a parent who lost a child because someone just had to have a senseless gun in their home.

Maybe they will even put it on the gravestone:

Billy

He was statistically insignificant

(But we loved, and miss him, anyhow).

Old 11-15-2016, 06:26 PM

50,298 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You do realize that you just contradicted yourself, right? First you claim that a determined criminal will bypass a background check, then you admit that background checks kept 80,000 people from buying guns
Buying guns as YOU want. They still get to purchase them. Do you know the difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies