Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 01:44 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times

Advertisements

I am convinced a chunk of this election's result belongs squarely on the back of Black Lives Matter. Additionally, Ms. Mobsey, of Baltimore, who insisted on performing a witch hunt on her own police force, also owned part of it. If you are going to scream mistreatment it only works if the "victim" has clean hands.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:23 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
this election? dude who wrote that must have been living under a rock the last 8 years
None of the rhetoric of white privilege, white guilt, check your privilege, etc., that's taking place today was going on eight years ago. So yes, this is the first election impacted by such things.

Quote:
well, I read it.

there are parts of this that I agree with. It jives with Jim Webb's recent comments that white working class voters from PA WI and MI who voted for Obama twice, voted for Trump because they no longer felt welcome in the Democrat party.

I also agree that this cross over to Privilege Theory has done a great deal of harm.

what I don't agree with is that this has led to white tribalism. The fact is the democrat party created identity politics because they decided it was the path to power. that methodology by the left is the cause of all this. THEY created the tribes.

Even still I totally reject the idea that whites who were left out had to run to some all white tribe. The things that Mr. Trump has said are simply things that many of us identify with.

Consider Trumps view on illegal immigration. His view is indistinguishable from that of Caesar Chavez. Chavez was a very liberal Union Activist. He is a hero of the left. He hated illegal immigration from Mexico.

It isn't the white folk that changed. Its the LEFT that changed. identity politics became their winner.

there are dozens of examples

The bolded statement at the bottom of your post is exactly what he's saying when he wrote:

Quote:
Privilege theory and the concept of systemic racism dealt the death blow to the détente. In embracing these theories, minorities and progressives broke their essential rule, which was to not run around calling everyone a racist.

When he wrote that white people have been subject to attacks, often BY white people, he's talking about the Progressives and loonies on the left. And that does happen. In fact, I'm of the belief that black people don't start this stuff - white Progressives do and African Americans just pick up on it.

When he talks about tribalism, I'm assuming he's referring to the reactions white people are having because they're sick of hearing the b.s. and have decided to push back.

Tribalism typically refers to an excessive loyalty to ones group, however, and I'm not seeing that either. You still see pushback on the part of white people here, for instance, when a white racist starts posting things in an effort to race bait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 02:27 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I am convinced a chunk of this election's result belongs squarely on the back of Black Lives Matter. Additionally, Ms. Mobsey, of Baltimore, who insisted on performing a witch hunt on her own police force, also owned part of it. If you are going to scream mistreatment it only works if the "victim" has clean hands.

I agree with him with regard to what white people are fed up with, but I'm not sure that's what this election was about. I think it had more to do with people being tired of Americans being put on the backburner while help is being given to other countries, people entering illegally, etc.

That, and the Dems should have put up a second candidate. Had they done that, we would have gone into the election not worrying about Hillary OR Trump.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:28 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
If I did not spend a great deal of time in the real world working and associating with people of all races I might think from watching TV and the internet that we have a real racial divide on our hands.

I don't. Though there are enough divisions for voting differences among the various demographics.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:28 PM

1,650 posts, read 1,115,981 times
America successfully went black then went back.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:00 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
well, I read it.

there are parts of this that I agree with. It jives with Jim Webb's recent comments that white working class voters from PA WI and MI who voted for Obama twice, voted for Trump because they no longer felt welcome in the Democrat party.

I also agree that this cross over to Privilege Theory has done a great deal of harm.

what I don't agree with is that this has led to white tribalism. The fact is the democrat party created identity politics because they decided it was the path to power. that methodology by the left is the cause of all this. THEY created the tribes.

Even still I totally reject the idea that whites who were left out had to run to some all white tribe. The things that Mr. Trump has said are simply things that many of us identify with.

Consider Trumps view on illegal immigration. His view is indistinguishable from that of Caesar Chavez. Chavez was a very liberal Union Activist. He is a hero of the left. He hated illegal immigration from Mexico.

It isn't the white folk that changed. Its the LEFT that changed. identity politics became their winner.

there are dozens of examples
On the bold, as a black person, I will honestly say that for me, that white people have always had tribalism. The success of the climax of the CRM, which occurred only because of assassinations of JFK, RFK, and MLK, were basically a jab at the more violent tribalism of white America.

I have been thinking on the election from an historical perspective and as it relates to our present time. I have also discussed the election and the views of which I am about to share with my white friends/family and have spoken to a lot of my black friends/family about it.

Basically I am of the idea that a large percent of white people want to go back to their former "place" in American society. That they enjoy the idea of "equality" and "opportunity" but only if it is for them. They do not want to hear about anyone's issues but their own and were upset that Obama actually discussed these issues.

On the red, do you identify with the things that Trump said about women, about ethnic minorities (in that the Mexican American judge cannot be impartial due to him being of Mexican descent and also about how black people live in "hell" and all of our kids go to "bad schools"). Do you identify with his support of Bannon, who has mainstreamed white nationalist ideology?

IMO it is interesting that many white Americans think that they are not tribal or that they have never been tribal when you always have been. It is just that the other "tribes" in America, for the majority of our country have never had a voice. They get a voice for 50 out of the over 240 years of our country's official existence and over 400 years starting in colonial America and that is a problem to those who actually do "identify" with the information I bolded of my own comments above.

For me, it makes me view whites with much less....I can only say trust that I had for you as a demographic before. I am lucky in that I do have very close friends who are white and family members. I have shared the above with them, that this election is going to make minorities especially very mistrustful of whites. I also think that you don't care about that and that is okay with me, but that mistrust if rightfully deserved. I was discussing this very thing with a couple relatives last night. One expressed what I had been feeling, in that I am disappointed in white Americas, that you can so easily believe that when someone says racist, xenophobic things and aligns themselves with white nationalists that you think it does not look poorly on you personally and are shocked that someone would call you a "racist." It should not be a shock and especially not so if you truly "identify" with the things above.

And FWIW politics IMO are always "dirty" and I didn't expect this election season to be anything but. Things are always said that are "deplorable" in some way and that is to be expected. But I expected more of white America. I felt you had evolved as a demographic and I do still believe that the majority of white Americans have, but I feel that majority is much smaller than I previously felt it was and I will be much more suspicious of the people I work with in the future.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:07 PM

78,434 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Normal people in their normal lives are getting along just fine.

Idiots, politically rabid types, etc. are the only ones swallowing all the racial rhetoric from the election.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:08 PM

I'll also note that I am against illegal immigration. One can be against illegal immigration without claiming an American of Mexican descent cannot be impartial as a judge based on his/her ethnicity. If that is the case then no white judges should ever "judge" a Mexican defendant.

It is not illegal immigration, trade, or economics that causes the mistrust and dissapointment mentioned above, or that will cause someone to be called a racist - it is ignoring the reference that a Mexican American cannot be impartial. It is agreeing with false stereotypes. It is overlooking all that is said in order to get something for yourself.

I am an American. I think of my country first and foremost. I also don't believe in "identity politics" and feel that is a "thing" perpetuated by those on the alt-right - white nationalist outlets as an excuse for you to use when you ignore the rise of racism and xenophobic rhetoric in our country because you, as a white person feel it is "better" for you to go back to what made you, as a white person "great" and that is being hung up on being "white" and getting what you feel you "deserve" and protecting yourself against other people, not in your tribe (be they gay, black, hispanic, Asian, a woman, transgender, etc. anything that you are not).

If you want to speak on economics, speak on economics. If you want to speak on trade, speak on trade. If you want to speak on immigration reform, speak on immigration reform. None of those topics need to include any sort of reference to xenophobic ideas or upholding racial stereotypes.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Normal people in their normal lives are getting along just fine.

Idiots, politically rabid types, etc. are the only ones swallowing all the racial rhetoric from the election.
So you ignored the racial rhetoric of the election?

If you did, why would you do so? IMO the only time people ignore racial rhetoric is because it doesn't affect them and they don't care about the people being attacked based on race or religion. They only care about their own "tribe" as mentioned above.

Old 11-17-2016, 03:19 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
So you ignored the racial rhetoric of the election?
You mean like telling whites we have "white privilege"? Or how about white, blue collar people are stupid and uneducated? Or if you support Trump you are "racist" and "deplorable"? How about assertions by BLM and the Democrat candidate that cops are targeting black men when there is no proof for such an accusation?

Believe me, I didn't miss the racial rhetoric from the Democrat Party candidate, her surrogates, or her bagmen AKA the Media.

The racial attacks along with the constant insults by Democrats and Progressives were critical in my support and my vote for Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies