Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2016, 03:04 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times

Advertisements

Reparations?
For "Extortion Are Us?"
Stop playing the victim card and get educated, learn skills and work hard like everyone else.
LOL.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:12 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
My family came to America starting in 1907 with my mother's parents coming over in 1947, 12 years before she was born. Most of the men in my father's line faught for this country in WW2 and Vietnam. My family has no ties to American slavery and that is probably true for a lot of white Americans. My wife's parents are German and came over in late 70s. Her parents families fled Germany to Britian during Hitler's rise. Who exactly is going to pay reputations, I certainly wouldn't.

American slavery ended in 1865 which is about 4-8 generations ago. In that time probably 99% of all people in this country can trace their ancestry back to slave ownership. It is likely that my children will marry someone who can and as such our unassociated line will become associated with it in the next generation or two. That said it is also pretty likely that at this point a large portion of descendants of slaves are also descendants of slave owners and the further we get away from it the more likely that becomes. Should those people both pay and recieve?

That is even without discussing welfare programs that benefit minority communities much more than whites. Has the US been paying reparations already? I don't think it's nearly the same thing but the argument can be made, and likely has been already.
White's make up 16.8% of welfare recipients and 77.1% of the population.
Hispanics make up 21% of recipients and 17.6% of the population.
Asians make up 18% of recipients and 5.6% of the population.
Black/African-Americans make up 39.6% of recipients but only 13.3% of the population.

Welfare Statistics and Demographics – Statistic Brain
10,801,848 is the number of employed blacks in the USA

When you consider a 2010 census population of: 37,685,848

And the number on welfare: Percent of welfare recipients who are black 39.6 % 26,884,000

Welfare Statistics and Demographics – Statistic Brain

Shocking.

Do you think that reparations would help the 26 million collecting welfare?

Here come the reparations - Trump is going to repair our urban areas.

I think they will be better served with President Trump reforming the education system in the USA.

Making birth control mandatory for all public school students.

Putting social psychologists in all schools to study the mental health needs of the children in urban school districts.

They need therapy not reparations.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:49 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Reparations? My father was educated for free by the US Army, he rose in the ranks and had enjoyed a good retirement prior to his death. I received scholarships and have amassed multiple degrees. The US Army paid for my husband's degrees, he rose in the ranks, receives a nice retirement, and is currently enjoying a career in the private sector. All four of my children recieved higher education totally free of charge, and even received spending money in the form of stipends. One is in the military like his father and grandfather, one is still in school, one is teaching at a major university, and one is a stay-at-home mom. I find it very hard to believe our lives would have been so nice if we lived in Africa. Slavery was horrible and among America's most shameful chapters, but if I am being honest, my life is better because of my ancestors' misfortune. All that free education and opportunities we have been given have been America's attempt at reparations, it just isn't handed out in the form of a check is all. If your arguement is that not everyone recieves it, not every white person benifitted from slavery either.

Were there any former slaves still alive today I would agree THEY should get direct monetary reparations.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:15 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Reparations? My father was educated for free by the US Army, he rose in the ranks and had enjoyed a good retirement prior to his death. I received scholarships and have amassed multiple degrees. The US Army paid for my husband's degrees, he rose in the ranks, receives a nice retirement, and is currently enjoying a career in the private sector. All four of my children recieved higher education totally free of charge, and even received spending money in the form of stipends. One is in the military like his father and grandfather, one is still in school, one is teaching at a major university, and one is a stay-at-home mom. I find it very hard to believe our lives would have been so nice if we lived in Africa. Slavery was horrible and among America's most shameful chapters, but if I am being honest, my life is better because of my ancestors' misfortune. All that free education and opportunities we have been given have been America's attempt at reparations, it just isn't handed out in the form of a check is all. If your arguement is that not everyone recieves it, not every white person benifitted from slavery either.

Were there any former slaves still alive today I would agree THEY should get direct monetary reparations.

Very interesting take on this and one I hadn't heard before.

Oldhag, you don't have a victim mentality, and that's the difference between those who take advantage of opportunities that come their way, and those who feel that not enough is being done for them.

That mindset is the difference between winners and losers in all races.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:23 AM

17,344 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

And it's this positive attitude that makes any American a success. I'm happy you and you're family are successful and it's well deserved.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:36 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
Here's an argument:

Slavery was unjust. But it did result in one thing that conferred later wealth to Africans on a scale from their prior position in Africa: their presence in the United States.

Without slavery, the USA African population today would be very low. Most African Americans would have instead been born in Africa. There would have been almost no Africans here prior to the 1960s; after the civil rights movement had been institutionalized. In this hypothetical historical variance, the African American population would currently be very low.

The difference in wealth is great between the average African American and the average African.

Would African Americans rather not currently be here, and have no way of getting here, or would they rather slavery not existed? There is no third option, historically speaking. And I realize that this is not necessarily and easy nor given choice.

To summarize, the current wealth difference between African Americans and Africans can be considered to be a result of slavery. It's not a politically correct statement to make, but one cannot circumvent the logic either. This historical dynamic is a simple, indisputable fact.

I understand that there may be a third perspective that would hold that some descendants of slaves would rather live in Africa, currently, rather than in the USA. In this instance, I believe that there is a stronger case for a payment should these people actually want to return to Africa. However, I would not suggest that the nation discuss such a thing unless some African Americans broached the topic and were actually interested in that relocation.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:44 AM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
BTW...about a year ago I traced my lineage back to a slave named Milton Jackson who was owned by a white man named Andrew Jackson. I did it through census records and draft records.

And for the poster above talking about welfare. For the first forty years welfare was like 90% white. Whites were given land and affordable loan rates. Amongst other things. Blacks haven't benefitted from welfare as much as whites have. People still in the welfare queen stereotype.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:48 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Since only Democrats owned slaves or hosed black kids out of schools with whites, I guess their beef would be with Democrats.
Was welfare with no chance to move up the reparations blacks had in mind since the 60s when their votes for welfare went Democrat? No problem voting for their ancestors slavers?

Old 11-18-2016, 10:53 AM

3,538 posts, read 1,328,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Here's an argument:

Slavery was unjust. But it did result in one thing that conferred later wealth to Africans on a scale from their prior position in Africa: their presence in the United States.

Without slavery, the USA African population today would be very low. Most African Americans would have instead been born in Africa. There would have been almost no Africans here prior to the 1960s; after the civil rights movement had been institutionalized. In this hypothetical historical variance, the African American population would currently be very low.

The difference in wealth is great between the average African American and the average African.

Would African Americans rather not currently be here, and have no way of getting here, or would they rather slavery not existed? There is no third option, historically speaking. And I realize that this is not necessarily and easy nor given choice.

To summarize, the current wealth difference between African Americans and Africans can be considered to be a result of slavery. It's not a politically correct statement to make, but one cannot circumvent the logic either. This historical dynamic is a simple, indisputable fact.

I understand that there may be a third perspective that would hold that some descendants of slaves would rather live in Africa, currently, rather than in the USA. In this instance, I believe that there is a stronger case for a payment should these people actually want to return to Africa. However, I would not suggest that the nation discuss such a thing unless some African Americans broached the topic and were actually interested in that relocation.
The problem with this bull**** stance is that your assuming Africa was some hell hole that Africans were saved from. Africa was stripped of resources by those same Europeans. They created a problem and then tried to act like they should get some of credit for letting up. I haven't heard a single legit argument as to why blacks shouldn't receive reparations. Its all "well nobody from then is alive"....well what about in 1866 or 1870 or 1890 or 1900 etc...and again wealth is passed down in the us so those former slaves should had wealth paid that they were owed and that wealth would have been passed down.

Old 11-18-2016, 10:53 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,367,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by River_Dawg View Post
America went out off its way to liberate and create a nation state for the Jew and no one bats an eye.

You are full of crap.

The British was behind the creation of the colony along side the world Zionist movement. Britain wanted to protect its flank on the Suez. Then the US then wanted it as its Middle East eye of Berlin in the struggle with the Soviets.

Get a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies