Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 03:50 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Is soft drinks.

Shock Chart Reveals Number 1 Item Bought With Welfare Money Is Soft Drinks

Time to end this taxpayer rip off and let private charities funded with private money through voluntary giving handle the feeding of "the poor". I guarantee they'll watch where the money goes much closer than the bureaucrats in Washington.
Fake news?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 03:59 PM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
And actually, Oregon (blue state) has the highest Food Stamp participant rate:

Oregon tops nation in food stamps | The Seattle Times

Old 12-02-2016, 05:15 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The German concentration camps have nothing to do with the discussion. We're talking about the U.S.'s CCC Job Corps. It provided jobs, housing, and food for unemployed American men, and 80% of the men's salaries had to be sent home to help their families.
Let me refresh your memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
I believe there were such facilities at one time. Didn't one of them proclaim "Work makes freedom" or something on the gate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it was the CCC. It provided jobs for unemployed American men/fathers. 80% of the wages they earned had to be sent home to their families.

The CCC planted nearly 3 billion trees to help reforest America, constructed trails, lodges and related facilities in more than 800 parks nationwide and upgraded most state parks, updated forest fire fighting methods, and built a network of service buildings and public roadways in remote areas

What is the Legacy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Actually, the phrase being referred to was "Arbeit macht frei." It is German, it means "work sets you free," and it was, indeed, prominently displayed at the entrances of concentration camps. Look it up.
I cast no aspersions on the CCC, which was wonderful (and voluntary). I would like to see where you find the expression "work makes freedom" anywhere on the CCC link.

If you were referring to the details of how the program worked, you should have said so.

Old 12-02-2016, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
Because he's 70, lacks some self control, and makes bad decisions. Have you seen him when he was younger?? He wasn't overweight then. He's not that overweight anyways.
You mean like poor people?

Old 12-02-2016, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Which lib says it's not okay for a woman to buy a 2-liter bottle of Mountain Dew?
Some people make every discussion about abortion.

Adopt a shelter dog! But, but...abortion.

Cool about the Cubs this year, huh? But, but...abortion.

Do you use Windex to clean glass, or vinegar? ABORTION!

It's gotten as bad as Godwin's Law.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:08 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,358,980 times
Quote:
You mean like poor people?
Yes. Like poor people.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:12 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
If they got a lot more than $125/month, it was for a family, not one person. As for the $2,000, I am going to violate one of my personal rules of conduct on here and say, flatly, I do not believe you.
It depends on household size. Up to 8 people get $1169 for SNAP per month, plus for each additional person $146 per month.

Fact Sheet on Resources, Income, and Benefits | Food and Nutrition Service

Also, some people also get TANF, which may show up on the same EBT card.

Using Your EBT Card to Get Food Supplements and TANF | Pine Tree Legal Assistance

Old 12-02-2016, 06:22 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,292,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
How many here are against food stamps being used to purchase junk food but were outraged about Michelle Obama's efforts to get healthy lunches, that are federally funded, into our schools?
I don't think anyone objects to the concept of healthy lunches. The two main problems I have seen discussed were that kids were not eating the food and it ended up in the trash and for some kids who were very active, such as athletes, the calorie restriction was unrealistic.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:26 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,368,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Often overlooked, is the fact that the one thing poor people can do that doesn't cost money is have sex. At least while having it. That's why there are so many babies.
Repubs want to shut down planned parent hood because of the whole abortion thing

At the same time, they don't want to support those babies.

Can't have one without the other.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:26 PM

45,233 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I don't think anyone objects to the concept of healthy lunches. The two main problems I have seen discussed were that kids were not eating the food and it ended up in the trash and for some kids who were very active, such as athletes, the calorie restriction was unrealistic.
Yeah the typical govt "one size fits all" approach
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies